Joey Ortiz 2023

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I agree they will need to promote Ortiz next season.  Neither Mayo nor Norby aren't defensively ready to be major league infielders.  

Norby probably never will be.  I’ve read that Mayo’s defense has improved a lot this year.  Statistically, he’s improved noticeably but the numbers are still only so-so.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Norby probably never will be.  I’ve read that Mayo’s defense has improved a lot this year.  Statistically, he’s improved noticeably but the numbers are still only so-so.  

I have not seen much of him but I did see one play where he had to charge the ball and throw across his body like Gunnar does all the time.  It was very powerful throw.  His arm is top shelf.

17 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I have not seen much of him but I did see one play where he had to charge the ball and throw across his body like Gunnar does all the time.  It was very powerful throw.  His arm is top shelf.

The arm may even be better than Gunnar's, it's that special. Mayo moves pretty well for a big guy at 3B, but his hands aren't great and he still can have throwing accuracy issues when his footwork gets out of step. He comes in on the ball pretty good, but he still makes a bit too many errors. Gunnar, Westburg, and Ortiz are all better than him at 3B not to mention Urias. Only Gunnar matches his power potential though. 

Ortiz really surprised me how good he's looked at 3B in his limited opportunities there. he may not have that golden arm like Mayo and Gunnar, but it plays on the left side of the infield.