Joey Ortiz 2023

Tony-OH

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, same question for Ortiz. Where is he most valuable? Who carries more value? 

Depends on if Westburg can play LF at a similar defensive level to 2B/3B. He has the speed for it and got some reps there in the minors. Zobrist got more than 400 ABs a year doing that. 

Let’s say Gunnar and Holliday each get 10 games off a year and 15 games at DH. Ortiz gets maybe 15-20 games off a year (and no DH). That’s roughly half a season worth of starts at 2B/3B for Westburg, with the other half at LF/1B/DH. And that’s if all 4 players are perfectly healthy all year, and odds are you don’t get through a full season with that being the case. Plus, if all are healthy, 2 lefties and 2 righties gives perfect flexibility to optimize rest days based on the handedness of the SP.

They could make it work. Maybe that’s not optimizing Westburg’s value, but the trade off is that it provides key depth in case of injury. Plus the Orioles like to rotate guys through DH rather than having a set DH, and are going to continue doing that with Adley needing a solid chunk of DH ABs. Westburg could definitely be the guy without a “starter” defensive home that still gets a full season of ABs (and majority in the field) as he and others rotate through DH. 

• 1 month later...

It seems like it's been 2-3 weeks since he's played, but he's still on the active roster. I hate that he can't pad those numbers a little in the last month. I wonder if that hurts his chances to make the big team next year. I have thought since July that he will be our shortstop next year.

40 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

It seems like it's been 2-3 weeks since he's played, but he's still on the active roster. I hate that he can't pad those numbers a little in the last month. I wonder if that hurts his chances to make the big team next year. I have thought since July that he will be our shortstop next year.

Gunnar is undoubtedly next year’s SS. I think he goes to the AFL, which will serve a a showcase of sorts to increase his trade value for any offseason move Elias is able to make. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Not really. He’s too advanced for Arizona. He’s already been in MLB. Just rest up and get ready for spring. 

I agree. Ortiz doesn't have anything left to prove by more playing time. He just needs an opportunity. He's a pretty good trade candidate/chip this offseason.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. Ortiz doesn't have anything left to prove by more playing time. He just needs an opportunity. He's a pretty good trade candidate/chip this offseason.

I agree with all this.  Ortiz is a proven commodity when it comes to what he can do at AAA and his defensive chops overall.   It’s just a metter of how well he’ll hit at the major league level given a decent number of at bats like Westburg has gotten.  Either the O’s decide to give him that chance next year, or they trade him to someone who will.  

13 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Gunnar is undoubtedly next year’s SS. I think he goes to the AFL, which will serve a a showcase of sorts to increase his trade value for any offseason move Elias is able to make. 

Could be. I think he's our best option at third and that Ortiz would be as good, or better, at short.

22 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Could be. I think he's our best option at third and that Ortiz would be as good, or better, at short.

I agree.  Gunnar is definitely capable.  Gonna have to move on from Urias, Frazier, and Mateo.  Simply too much talent ready to take their place.  Going to miss all three but time to bring Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, etc., into the fold. 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:04 PM, Punchandjudy said:

I agree.  Gunnar is definitely capable.  Gonna have to move on from Urias, Frazier, and Mateo.  Simply too much talent ready to take their place.  Going to miss all three but time to bring Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, etc., into the fold. 

I agree they will need to promote Ortiz next season.  Neither Mayo nor Norby aren't defensively ready to be major league infielders.  So much so they are trying to make Norby a left fielder.

Frazier will not be back next season. I think Mateo will stay as a utility infielder.   His speedy base running is a game changer.  Urias is on the bubble for me.