Opening Day 1983

fansince1988

38 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The 1980's had many of the same issues we have now. We always look back and say they were better times 

We didn't have social media, cell phones and kids played outside.  Those would be the positives from looking back.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Their greatest teams (1969-71) could barely draw 1 million fans.  The teams beginning in 1977 really captured the fans’ imagination because the free agency period had begun and the team competed so well against the Yankees and Red Sox despite the obvious economic disadvantages.  Those were seen as really blue collar teams that fit Baltimore’s self-image to a T.  Of course, it didn’t hurt that Washington had lost its team after ‘71 and Tom Boswell began covering the O’s in the Post on a daily basis and helped convert a lot of DC-area fans into Orioles fans with his eloquent coverage of the team.  

No football team also helped attendance  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yep.  I'm just saying the special place in the fabric stuff is a bit rose tinted with history.

Not in my opinion.  There’s more to it than fan attendance.  The long term success of the Orioles in that era was a huge source of civic pride.  

Just now, drdelaware said:

We didn't have social media, cell phones and kids played outside.  Those would be the positives from looking back.

Ahh the good old days, be 12 tell your folks you are going out at 10 AM, spend the day smoking and drinking in the woods and show up at 6 for dinner.

• Haha 1

Just now, Going Underground said:

Also not pc.

Why is that?  It’s like commenting on a male broadcaster’s sports coat or bad toupee.  I consider myself pretty circumspect when it comes to these issues, but a bad makeup job is where I draw the line!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I know but it made attendance even higher. The Orioles were not happy when the Ravens arrived.

I’ve always been dubious that the football team has much impact on attendance for the baseball team.  I’m not saying it’s zero, but I don’t think it’s much.  It might impact the luxury box sales though.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Why is that?  It’s like commenting on a male broadcaster’s sports coat or bad toupee.  I consider myself pretty circumspect when it comes to these issues, but a bad makeup job is where I draw the line!  

I was just byb,all good. I filled out an appointment at Quest online.Took me an hour to figure out what I was,so many choices. Somewhere between animal or mineral with a plant based compound.  I guess like Cousin It. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

Agree with all of this.  I also (honestly) miss the lack of analytics.  It was more fun for me to watch baseball when I knew much less.  Basic stats were all I really needed, along with a few clutch moments to stick in my memory.  Seems like we can pick just about any player apart based on some advanced metric.  I know I am in the minority on this one, but other than helping some deserving players get into the HOF, I could do without all of the modern analytics.

• Upvote 1