Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

On 8/29/2023 at 2:59 PM, Yossarian said:

Who will end up with the best MLB power numbers out of these three:

Basallo

Mayo

Kjerstad

Great question.  I'll never pick the catcher since there's too much wear and tear.  Kjerstand probably ends up with the better hit tool.  But I'm going with Mayo; just ridiculous raw power.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the time is right to start unpacking '23 Basallo, he met my hopes so far that he'll simply hit too much to leave at catcher.

The Bat looks like fair chance to get him to our lineup before Adley goes.

The 2025 defensive demands are a bit less if you only need to catch 40 games, not 120.

One might think real life partnership with Adley Rutschman for ~2.5 years is fruitful training for handling the 2028 Orioles pitching staff if he is a long term catcher, and not Carlos Delgado.    I know those AAA coaches throw some pretty tough batting practice it can take a long time to master.

2025 2nd Half might be about the bullseye for Peak Adley Lineups before Mullins leaves.    I figure rookie Bradfield when that occurs will represent some step down from Mullins.     Its fun to consider Gunnar-Holliday-Mayo-Basallo doing enough to make even the End of Adley not the end of an era.

3-4 with two BBs, two HRs, and a double. Kid's a killer, but he needs to hustle out of the box even when he cranks one. That second HR wasn't out by that much, and he was still admiring it from the batter's box. If it hits the top of the fence they'd have had a good chance to throw him out at second. 

Looks like his 7-day concussion protocol was just one of those things they do now, more than a true concussion. Either way, he came back with a vengeance. 

In his last 14 games he's slashing .396/.500/.792/1.292 with 5 2B, 4 HR, 10 BB and only 9 Ks over those 58 PAs. 

He hasn't faced a younger pitcher than himself all season.   

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

3-4 with two BBs, two HRs, and a double. Kid's a killer, but he needs to hustle out of the box even when he cranks one. That second HR wasn't out by that much, and he was still admiring it from the batter's box. If it hits the top of the fence they'd have had a good chance to throw him out at second. 

He hit the ball a long way but that park is pretty big out in RC so he may have been fooled a bit. By the the time the ball had hit and bounced back into the park a little bit, he was already at 2B so he started to run for sure. 

I liked his last at bat when he took what looked like a ball low that would have been ball 4. Instead of sulking, he took the next pitch and smoked it to LC off the CF's glove for a 2B.

• Upvote 1