1st week trends

btdart20

MLB.com had an interesting article about some 'hot topic' trends.

Stats takeaways from MLB Opening Week 2023

1. BABIP impact in regards to the shift rules.  The 'only two IF on the same side' rule isn't as big of an impact as 'no IF feet on the OF grass' rule has had.  And counterintuitively, it's been more positive for RHH than LHH.  Is it a SSS thing for this or real?

2. Exit velo - they don't use the term 'juiced balls' but that's what they're questioning.

3. Dodgers lineup - the talent they lost vs. their prospects/replacements.  Interesting to see how they've brought in a couple of reclamations (like we've done with Frazier, McCann, even O'Hearn/Diaz as well) and have prospect pressure coming up as well.  Lessons to be learned here?

4. 4seamers/sinkers velo is up, but the usage is down.

5. Acuna's speed is back.  But it's also about how some measurables are quick reads vs. slow validations.  I can't think of any offensive players who have any quick read type improvements.  All of our over/under performers seem to be of the long haul validation variety (quality of contact, plate discipline...).

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't get why everyone on here is in love with "potential" instead of "results." I remember last year when Means was rehabbing in the minors this board was saying he'd maybe be a bullpen piece. I was thinking, "Do these people not remember 'John Means day'? The guy knows how to pitch and gets results. I trust him WAY more than Grayson. Sadly Means got hurt and didn't get a chance to pitch in the playoffs. When the playoffs roll around in 2024, if Suarez still has a 1.57 ERA and .99 WHIP, I'm giving him the damn ball way before I give to a guy with a 3.53 ERA and 1.33 WHIP who has a career 27 ERA In the post-season.  Don't misunderstand me, Grayson has a TON of potential but he's reminding me a lot of Kevin Gausman at this point in his career - a guy who repeatedly got our hopes up as being a dominant TOR guy but never was for us. Suarez has a 1.2 WAR this year in 34 innings. Grayson has a 0.5 in 51 innings. If we had to pick a top 3 for the playoffs tomorrow, I wouldn't put Grayson as the #3.
    • I hear you on the 19 year olds. I don’t buy it as an absolute. There is data both ways. COVID is still a factor too. Depends on the kid. Each player is judged on their own merits. Bobby Witt Jr. was 19 when drafted. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 
    • Lindsey reminds me of Trea Turner at the same age. Not a comp, just a similar player. I watched Amick and Christian Moore last night. I don’t have enough to give an opinion. I thought both were interesting talents and athletes. I am concerned about Santucci right now. I can understand wanting a college arm, depends on health and track record. 
    • Wrong, Idiot. Mullins is too bad to use.
    • Re: Tanner Scott. I looked up his baseball savant page and laughed out loud.    https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/tanner-scott-656945?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb Check out his BB rate.   Laff laff laff…. Everything else is pretty good. I was mistaken about his stats-wise, but I still don’t want to trade for him. I just know he’d turn back into a pumpkin.
    • Eh, this was his first definitively bad start IMO. He was always going to go downhill from the ~1 ERA he posted in April. I'm still interested in seeing him called up for Suarez's spot, though I'm guessing he won't at this point with Suarez already taking two turns and performing well. 
    • Bradley has pretty distinct splits. I think we throw all the LH bats at him tonight: (If Westburg is ready) Gunnar - SS Adley - C O'Hearn - 1B Santander - RF Cowser - LF Westburg - 3B Stowers - DH Mateo - 2B Mullins - CF
  • Popular Contributors