Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My goal wasn't to prove that only folks in peak physical conditions can do well.

I don't care for the Har Har Ruth was fat narrative that gets tossed out.  Young Ruth was a large man but quick and fit.

My point wasn't Har Har Ruth was fat. My point was that Ruth was an amazing athlete while still being overweight. As many have been.

But you knew that. You're just being your typical sophist self.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

My point wasn't Har Har Ruth was fat. My point was that Ruth was an amazing athlete while still being overweight. As many have been.

But you knew that. You're just being your typical sophist self.

And Ruth isn't a good comp because while he was a great hitter as an older, heavier man, I wouldn't say that version of Ruth was that amazing an athlete.  It was the younger Ruth who also pitched and could steal bases.

At Willems' age Ruth did not have a similar body type.

Someone like Kirk would have been a much better choice.  But no, we have to go for the HoF player, even if it isn't actually a good comp.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Willems is still just 19.   Obviously, it’s very early but it will be interesting to see how he’s judged if he continues to put up numbers.   

Yeah... he absolutely laid an egg last year..

I was hoping he was just frozen like a "deer in headlights" because of his age.

Only at the end of the season did he do anything at all.

While a string of good ABs isn't a whole lot to go on... it certainly is encouraging.

I have a soft spot for underdogs and people who defy conventional wisdom.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Yeah... he absolutely laid an egg last year..

I was hoping he was just frozen like a "deer in headlights" because of his age.

Only at the end of the season did he do anything at all.

While a string of good ABs isn't a whole lot to go on... it certainly is encouraging.

I have a soft spot for underdogs and people who defy conventional wisdom.

A lot of 19 yo have laid an egg in their first year of full season ball.  Going from rookie ball to full season is probably the biggest jump in competition there is in the minors.  The fact that he stayed there all year and finished well was encouraging.   I expected him to repeat the FCL last year since he didn’t have a full season there in 2021.  It’s only a few games but it would be a great story.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

And Ruth isn't a good comp because while he was a great hitter as an older, heavier man, I wouldn't say that version of Ruth was that amazing an athlete.  It was the younger Ruth who also pitched and could steal bases.

At Willems' age Ruth did not have a similar body type.

Someone like Kirk would have been a much better choice.  But no, we have to go for the HoF player, even if it isn't actually a good comp.

Ruth really isn’t a good comp for anyone ever.  But it’s fun to bring him up.  

• Upvote 1

In the latest MLB Pipeline pod, they interviewed Jackson Holliday. He said his roommate is Creed. I think that is a great thing for Creed's development.

The fact that he has started off hot is very encouraging. He looks trimmer to me, and more athletic than before. He is still a big fella, though. Many young guys need a year to learn about being a pro. It is player development, after all. 

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His body type isn’t what has made him a disappointment thus far.

The optics aren’t great though.

We know the kid has big power and has upside. It’s good to see him off to a good start but he was a $1M lottery ticket. 

What does that mean?  Every draft pick is a lottery ticket.   They saw something, had him to OPACY for a pre-draft workout and gambled 1M that he might be something.   We’ll see.   Trendon Craig was a 250K lottery ticket.  Carter Young was a 1.3M lottery ticket.   They are all lottery tickets but the more good choices you make the better your chances of hitting.

I am not saying Willems is some great athletes, but there are bad body, great athletes.  Warren Sapp comes to mind.  In those skills competitions he routinely destroyed guys that looked far more fit than him.  Kirby Puckett is another bad body, good athlete.  

He obviously looks much better and confident at the plate. I will say this, he's infectious guy to watch play. always seems to be having a good time and looks like a great teammate on top of everything else. He's easy to root for because he looks so out of place with his body shape and glorious mullet!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He obviously looks much better and confident at the plate. I will say this, he's infectious guy to watch play. always seems to be having a good time and looks like a great teammate on top of everything else. He's easy to root for because he looks so out of place with his body shape and glorious mullet!

I hope he convinces Jackson to adopt his hairstyle!