New article about the 1983 World Series Team

Tony-OH

APR_Orioles_young-fan.thumb.jpg.ee9580fefbc55b8f8cd8a5bba16e778b.jpg

This awesome pic alone is worth the click! Hard to believe it was 40 years ago that the Orioles last won the World Series. If you had told 13 year-old me, that the Orioles would not win another or even get back to the World Series before my 53rd year, I would have laughed at you with your utter senselessness. 

I also find it crazy that Earl Weaver thought retirement at 52-years old (He had to be the oldest looking 52-year old ever) was the right thing to do and that it wasn't an early age. 

“Earl was a stickler on playing the game the right way and if you didn’t, he was on your case, there was none of this, ‘Wait around ‘til tomorrow to talk about it,’” says Singleton. “He was the best manager I ever played for, but my feeling was—and if you asked some of the guys, I think they’d say the say same thing—we wanted to prove to the world we can win without him. Joe was completely different. He had a veteran team and knew it. He just made out the lineup, let us play, and we won day after day until we eventually won the World Series.”

https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/section/sports/remembering-orioles-1983-world-series-title-raucous-orioles-magic-era/?fbclid=IwAR1pxtxyZQjVduGVI6oPaFcimDNBrBowpoFp4AamZStscsj4yTXP7K2R7_8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GREAT ARTICLE.  Thanks for sharing.

It really is hard to believe how long it has been.  I was starting my sophomore year in College and had just met the girl who would become the mother of my 4 kids.  Along with the Redskins, who were also rocking, I was proud to be a fan of two of the best run franchises in all of sports...In spite of the heartbreak of '79...and even '69.

So much has changed since '83.  But it does make me smile that the current group seems to be building things the right way.  Will it end the drought?  

I don't know.  But until it is ended, the pain continues.  

We can debate about this move or that move.  But success really isn't hard to define.  Titles last forever.  I hope this current group can bring at least one home. 

Thanks for sharing this article!  A great read.  It is hard to believe it has been 40 years.  1997 and 2014 were our best chances, as those were great teams.  Really unfortunate that Armando Benitez single-handedly killed it for us in 1997 and key player absences hurt us in 2014.  Flags fly forever as they say, and it really is that important to the morale of the fanbase to bring home that title.  At some point, you have to be the last team standing.