The Home Run Hose

Frobby

I think it picks up steam until it's being recognized on a national level (ESPN, Fox Sports) and it's being discussed outside of twitter, message boards like this, etc.  

Despite the fact that I think it's juvenile and that I like it, I think at some point, the Dong Bong is gonna be put to bed due to the optics and I don't 100% disagree with it...I mean, I wouldn't give my 12 year old kid a beer bong to take to an Orioles game, but some parent out there was clearly fine with it.  But I'd also have a conversation with my kid about that and why binge drinking isn't good.  I mean, that's part of the conversation that's starting to bubble up here...I know what's good for my kid and how I want to parent, but I'm not about to tell other parents what they should and shouldn't do.  Plenty of people out there feel the need to tell others what to do.  

But the overriding conversation that will be had is  "Are the Orioles responsible for promoting beer bongs to kids?"  The Orioles players, smartly, will use plausible deniability to wiggle out of the issue, with a wink wink because they never SAID it was a Dong Bong.  Fans came up with that nickname, and hey, if the fans want to call it that, that's fine...but we really thought it was an homage to drinking from a hose and WE call it the Homer Hose.  If you see a beer bong, well, that's your problem.

That excuse will only get them so far.  Won't be long until someone quietly steps in and asks them to figure out another home run celebration.  I can't imagine that the Orioles front office is thrilled that a 12 year old showed up to the game yesterday with a beer bong and was rewarded for it by one of their players.

Edited by Moose Milligan

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it picks up steam until it's being recognized on a national level (ESPN, Fox Sports) and it's being discussed outside of twitter, message boards like this, etc.  

Despite the fact that I think it's juvenile and that I like it, I think at some point, the Dong Bong is gonna be put to bed due to the optics and I don't 100% disagree with it...I mean, I wouldn't give my 12 year old kid a beer bong to take to an Orioles game, but some parent out there was clearly fine with it.  But I'd also have a conversation with my kid about that and why binge drinking isn't good.  I mean, that's part of the conversation that's starting to bubble up here...I know what's good for my kid and how I want to parent, but I'm not about to tell other parents what they should and shouldn't do.  Plenty of people out there feel the need to tell others what to do.  

But the overriding conversation that will be had is  "Are the Orioles responsible for promoting beer bongs to kids?"  The Orioles players, smartly, will use plausible deniability to wiggle out of the issue, with a wink wink because they never SAID it was a Dong Bong.  Fans came up with that nickname, and hey, if the fans want to call it that, that's fine...but we really thought it was an homage to drinking from a hose and WE call it the Homer Hose.  If you see a beer bong, well, that's your problem.

That excuse will only get them so far.  Won't be long until someone quietly steps in and asks them to figure out another home run celebration.  I can't imagine that the Orioles front office is thrilled that a 12 year old showed up to the game yesterday with a beer bong and was rewarded for it by one of their players.

I told my kid it's an upside down straw. But he's 4, not 12. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

C'mon Moose. It's 2023. You know how the world works. Your intentions don't matter. All that matters is how other people feel about what you say or do.

As a parent, I have never felt it is anyone else's responsibility to teach my kids anything. That's for me and my wife to do. If someone else wants to cuss around my kids, it's up to me to teach them about that.

The Homer Hose is going to go away sooner than later. There's going to be too many people running around with them. Kids are going to be bonging water in their neighborhoods and someone will make a big deal out of it. 

• Upvote 1

I hope the O's or MLB don't step in to stop this. This belief that baseball is exclusively for little kids/families is partly why it's fallen so far behind football and other things. The main problem I see with growing baseball is that the real taste makers and drivers of pop culture want something to be "cool" and fun. And like it or not, this kind of thing is cooler and more relatable to the teens-30s demographic than putting on a blazer or cowboy hat or any of the other lame home run celebrations. I'm not saying the homer hose celebration specifically is going to change this but getting rid of the stuffy, no fun allowed culture around baseball is a necessity if the game wants to grow.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's awesome. My dad was giving me keystone light when I was 13. I was allowed 1 beer. Made me learn to respect moderation. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Your dad should have been jailed for child abuse.  Not for giving you beer, but for giving you Keystone Light.  Wtf.  

That was during the early 2000s and you could get a 30 pack for for like $14 back then. My dad was all about maximum efficiency when it came to his beer purchasing and consumption.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I hope the O's or MLB don't step in to stop this. This belief that baseball is exclusively for little kids/families is partly why it's fallen so far behind football and other things. The main problem I see with growing baseball is that the real taste makers and drivers of pop culture want something to be "cool" and fun. And like it or not, this kind of thing is cooler and more relatable to the teens-30s demographic than putting on a blazer or cowboy hat or any of the other lame home run celebrations. I'm not saying the homer hose celebration specifically is going to change this but getting rid of the stuffy, no fun allowed culture around baseball is a necessity if the game wants to grow.

Be more like the WBC.  Don’t run from it, embrace it.

Just now, backdoorslider said:

That was during the early 2000s and you could get a 30 pack for for like $14 back then. My dad was all about maximum efficiency when it came to his beer purchasing and consumption.

Clearly he wasn't because all a 30 pack of Keystone Light is gonna do is make you have to take a giant leak.  It's practically water.  He should have spent the same amount or a few bucks more for something that actually tastes good with a higher alcohol content...that way you can get drunk quicker, not drink AS much and not have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes after you've taken your first squirt of the afternoon.

• Upvote 1