Dodgers are getting desperate at SS

Sports Guy

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

This is from last December.

Elias is not trade happy.

He traded extra pieces last summer.

I didn't say he was trade happy. 

I said that if there was a trade that returned better players he would do it (regardless of other considerations like player popularity).

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I didn't say he was trade happy. 

I said that if there was a trade that returned better players he would do it (regardless of other considerations like player popularity).

I don't think the trades he has made thus far prove your point.

He's yet to pull the trigger on a significant trade.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the trades he has made thus far prove your point.

He's yet to pull the trigger on a significant trade.

I don't think trading Mateo would be more / less significant than trading Mancini or Lopez was last year. Do you?

Just now, bluedog said:

I don't think trading Mateo would be more / less significant than trading Mancini or Lopez was last year. Do you?

I do.

I was also speaking toward your comment about how he'd trade his Grandmother.

I don't think he'd trade Adley, does he love Adley more than his Grandmother?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

Agreed.

In Ootp24, I had to package a quality prospect with Frazier to get any other team to consider taking his shitty contract off my hands. Unless he starts putting up a monster season, if we want to move Frazier (or McCann) we'll have to eat their salary and / or take back even crappier contracts to do it.

Yeah in MLB the show you can make it work if you take back another big contract. In my first franchise this year I traded Frazier and a couple of lower level pitching prospects to the Rockies for Chuck Nasty and Daniel Bard. Chuck Nasty is my favorite player on the Rockies, but his big contract isn’t something I would suggest we acquire. And with them rebuilding, I doubt the Rockies would want Frazier in real life anyway. I think we are probably better off holding onto Frazier this year so we can trade another MI for a greater return and still feel good about our depth. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Have you met Mike Elias?

I think he'd trade his grandmother if he got a better player back in return.

Those we're in the rebuild years. We're a "contender" now (slight eye roll) and there is zero chance they trade the guy who has arguably been their best offensive player in April or May. Elias is actually going to have to take things like public perception / attendance into consideration since there are more eyes on the team now then in any part of his tenure. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do.

I was also speaking toward your comment about how he'd trade his Grandmother.

I don't think he'd trade Adley, does he love Adley more than his Grandmother?

joke
noun
1. a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Those we're in the rebuild years. We're a "contender" now (slight eye roll) and there is zero chance they trade the guy who has arguably been their best offensive player in April or May. Elias is actually going to have to take things like public perception / attendance into consideration since there are more eyes on the team now then in any part of his tenure. 

We'll disagree then.

I think Elias cares not one whit about public perception if he believes a move will bring the team closer to a ring.

4 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah in MLB the show you can make it work if you take back another big contract. In my first franchise this year I traded Frazier and a couple of lower level pitching prospects to the Rockies for Chuck Nasty and Daniel Bard. Chuck Nasty is my favorite player on the Rockies, but his big contract isn’t something I would suggest we acquire. And with them rebuilding, I doubt the Rockies would want Frazier in real life anyway. I think we are probably better off holding onto Frazier this year so we can trade another MI for a greater return and still feel good about our depth. 

Yeah I did the same thing by taking on a huge albatross contract from the Red Sox in order to grab Triston Casas. That's never happening IRL.

I've made peace with the fact that Frazier isn't going anywhere this year. Sad as I feel he's blocking better players who I'd much rather see with the O's.

Just now, bluedog said:

We'll disagree then.

I think Elias cares not one whit about public perception if he believes a move will bring the team closer to a ring.

He absolutely has to take it into consideration now. Unless we landed an absolute stud SP for Mateo, who we could plug into our rotation immediately the public backlash would be terrible. Everyone would say "same old Orioles, not trying to win" and ticket sales would drop because the average fan isn't following things closely enough to understand the long game. And everyone is this thread is suggesting that we trade Mateo for a prospect. Not gonna happen. The only exception would be if fall out of contention in July/August. Then Elias might be able to justify moving Mateo. 

How desperate are the Dodgers really though?  It's not like Betts isn't a freak athlete.  He's won GG's in the OF.  He's played baseball his whole life.  I'm sure Betts will be just fine and Rojas will come in as a defensive replacement.  Plus, we're contending.  Contending teams just don't trade away a SS like Mateo unless we'd be getting absolutely blown away with a SP offer.  

I don't think the average fan is deciding whether or not to buy tickets based on Jorge Mateo. They are doing it based on whether or not the club is winning.

And I haven't suggested we trade Mateo for a prospect - I've suggested we trade him for a ML starter.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How desperate are the Dodgers really though?  It's not like Betts isn't a freak athlete.  He's won GG's in the OF.  He's played baseball his whole life.  I'm sure Betts will be just fine and Rojas will come in as a defensive replacement.  Plus, we're contending.  Contending teams just don't trade away a SS like Mateo unless we'd be getting absolutely blown away with a SP offer.  

Betts also played SS in the minors. I still think it might be a stretch to think of him as a long term solution, but it's not like the Dodgers are randomly putting him at position he hasn't played before and Rojas should be back relatively soon. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

He absolutely has to take it into consideration now. Unless we landed an absolute stud SP for Mateo, who we could plug into our rotation immediately the public backlash would be terrible. Everyone would say "same old Orioles, not trying to win" and ticket sales would drop because the average fan isn't following things closely enough to understand the long game. And everyone is this thread is suggesting that we trade Mateo for a prospect. Not gonna happen. The only exception would be if fall out of contention in July/August. Then Elias might be able to justify moving Mateo. 

I'm sticking with the fanbase isn't engaged enough for the backlash to be a problem.

• Upvote 1