Dodgers are getting desperate at SS

Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The question is whether Elias believes Mateo is at his ceiling and could come crashing down or is he just going to take off even more.

I view Mateo as worth keeping as a placeholder for Holiday, whether this is a mirage or if he is still improving. He was playable last year despite all his warts and if that is all we wind up getting while we wait the year/year and a half for Holiday, to me that’s fine.

Ortiz to me has higher value because of his top 100 prospect status and service time availability PLUS he is a redundant asset. Even if he excels again he’s still only a place holder and will be replaced by the much high ceiling Holiday.

That is why I would be open to moving him and other excess redundant assets/prospects for more talented pitching. I would prefer already established pitchers who can help us in big games against other teams aces. But if we are going to go the cheap route and never spend, then you may have to consider a move like this where you swap AAA Major League ready prospects.

29 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

I would say no, considering they have Miguel Vargas at 2nd who is also a rookie.  If I am the O's, I am trading Mateo or Urias right now if the Dodgers are willing to send back a decent package. 

Why would the Dodgers want Urias and then give up prospects as well for him? I don’t believe he carries that kind of value and definitely not to play SS. I believe that Ortiz (a top 100 Major League ready SS with full service time) would carry much more value than Urias, who would be playing out of position and is no more than a decent hitter as is.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Are you suggesting a Joey Ortiz for a Gavin Stone type of swap?

Or are you suggesting that we look to trade someone from our Major League Club? I’m not sure they would take Urias and we would be foolish to part with Mateo.

Mateo, Ortiz, Urias, Westburg or Ortiz. Whether or not they view Westburg or Urias as a true SS is unknown but they are trying Betts there (potentially) and some didn’t feel Lux was a SS either, so maybe they are ok with doing something more unconventional. 

My best case scenario is trading Mateo. I don’t believe in this start at all. Maybe he will be that rare player who goes from failure to really good. It can happen but it’s not something I would bet on. That said, as we saw last year, he can still help a team even if the OpS isn’t that great.

But I would trade whoever fetches the most.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would the Dodgers want Urias and then give up prospects as well for him? I don’t believe he carries that kind of value and definitely not to play SS. I believe that Ortiz (a top 100 Major League ready SS with full service time) would carry much more value than Urias, who would be playing out of position and is no more than a decent hitter as is.

I never said the Dodgers would have to give up prospects for Urias.  He is a serviceable SS for a limited time.  If they are considering Betts to be their SS, I don't think it's a stretch to think that Urias can be the SS.  

I don’t understand the hesitancy for people to want to trade Ortiz. 

He seems like the perfect asset to move? - Top 100, premium position where we are already staffed at the Major League level with a much higher rated/more talented prospect behind him. What am I missing?

Even if he is good, he is still going to be a placeholder for Holiday for a year, year and a half tops. And to those saying well we can slide him over to second, is he a better prospect than Westburg or Mayo? Somebody or most likely bodies, are going to have to go. If not Ortiz, then Westburg, or Mayo, or both.

Now I now someone will say, well you can put those guys in the outfield. Well the problem with that is that we have Cowser and Kjerstad to make a place for.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo, Ortiz, Urias, Westburg or Ortiz. Whether or not they view Westburg or Urias as a true SS is unknown but they are trying Betts there (potentially) and some didn’t feel Lux was a SS either, so maybe they are ok with doing something more unconventional. 

My best case scenario is trading Mateo. I don’t believe in this start at all. Maybe he will be that rare player who goes from failure to really good. It can happen but it’s not something I would bet on. That said, as we saw last year, he can still help a team even if the OpS isn’t that great.

But I would trade whoever fetches the most.

Now I COMPLETELY agree with that last statement! However, we can acquire better pitching, I’m all for it!

Because that’s what we are going to need to win in the postseason.

I don’t understand the hesitancy for people to want to trade Ortiz. 

The fear is that we trade someone who turns into an all-star somewhere else.  Because that would have meant he'd have been an all-star here and we were dumb and we were stupid because we guessed wrong.  And since that's never happened before, it's excruciatingly painful to think about trading someone who could turn into a stud somewhere else.

There was maybe a decent chance you could nurse Rojas and Taylor through a few months but it looks like the rigors of shortstop have needed just a few weeks to compromise both old guys.

I was a little surprised to see Rojas back in lineup last night as there were already day to day reports on his hamstrings and groin, apart from the 350 OPS and all.

Cleveland also has a zillion infielders, should Friedman look for an early trade.

7 minutes ago, CaptDbog said:

I never said the Dodgers would have to give up prospects for Urias.  He is a serviceable SS for a limited time.  If they are considering Betts to be their SS, I don't think it's a stretch to think that Urias can be the SS.  

So if we cannot get value back from them in terms of prospects, why would we do it? Do they have something of worth to part with from their Major League team that can help us win?

I just view Ortiz as much more valuable in terms of a trade asset than Urias.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fear is that we trade someone who turns into an all-star somewhere else.  Because that would have meant he'd have been an all-star here and we were dumb and we were stupid because we guessed wrong.  And since that's never happened before, it's excruciatingly painful to think about trading someone who could turn into a stud somewhere else.

When you build a lot of depth in the same areas, that’s the risk you take but you have to pull the trigger in some of these guys.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

So if we cannot get value back from them in terms of prospects, why would we do it? Do they have something of worth to part with from their Major League team that can help us win?

I just view Ortiz as much more valuable in terms of a trade asset than Urias.

Addition by subtraction.  Trading Urias frees up a spot. Not every trade has to be a blockbuster of prospects.  I believe Ortiz will be a better ball player than Urias and Mateo. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not believing in a player's recent hot streak and hoping that another team willing to trade for him does believe is one of my favorite OH wet dreams of all time.  

The League might consider all of Mateo, Gunnar, Ortiz and Westburg top 30 shortstops this summer.

Before typing that sentence, Chris Taylor had never occurred to me as a Jordan Westburg comp but at first thought that might work.    Patient "shortstop".