Chicago Cubs 2023

Frobby

The Cubs are calling up AAA prospect Matt Mervis today.  I have a bit of interest in him, because he’s local to my area and his parents are very good friends with one of my former law partners.  Really interesting story, he was considered more of a pitcher in college but got hurt and switched to 1B.  He went undrafted in both 2019 and the shortened 2020 draft, but was signed as an undrafted free agent. He didn’t do much in 2021 but just exploded in 2022, hitting 36 homers across three levels of the minors.  The Cubs blocked him by signing Hosmer and Trey Mancini this winter, but he’s continued to rake and now he’s up.  I’m excited for the kid.  

The flip side of this is that Hosmer (.657) and Trey (.698) have been pretty bad.  Trey’s on a two year deal so he’s probably not going anywhere.  Hosmer is getting the minimum, so he’s expendable.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cubs-calling-up-matt-mervis-an-undrafted-slugging-first-baseman-per-report/

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Cubs are calling up AAA prospect Matt Mervis today.  I have a bit of interest in him, because he’s local to my area and his parents are very good friends with one of my former law partners.  Really interesting story, he was considered more of a pitcher in college but got hurt and switched to 1B.  He went undrafted in both 2019 and the shortened 2020 draft, but was signed as an undrafted free agent. He didn’t do much in 2021 but just exploded in 2022, hitting 36 homers across three levels of the minors.  The Cubs blocked him by signing Hosmer and Trey Mancini this winter, but he’s continued to rake and now he’s up.  I’m excited for the kid.  

The flip side of this is that Hosmer (.657) and Trey (.698) have been pretty bad.  Trey’s on a two year deal so he’s probably not going anywhere.  Hosmer is getting the minimum, so he’s expendable.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cubs-calling-up-matt-mervis-an-undrafted-slugging-first-baseman-per-report/

GTown Prep kid.  Saw him play a couple times in HS. Chris Rodriguez has done a fantastic job of turning GTP into the best program in the DMV.  I wish Mervis all the luck in the world.  It’s fun to pull for the local kids.  

• 2 months later...