This place is unbearable after a loss

Sanfran327

Look, it's just a fact that we're not going far without a drastic turn-around in the starting pitching which is near the bottom of the league. These guys just don't go beyond 5 innings much. 

Can we tread water long enough for Means to come back and Elias to trade for a starter? That's the big question, and it's why fans are jumpy. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean like this thread? :D

Sure in some ways..but this thread is more truthful and understandable than many threads started on here…or at least it can stand on its own in a lot of ways Vs people starting their own threads when similar topics are already being discussed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Shoulda seen the game thread (if you didn't).  

But the game threads are designed for that. it stops from cluttering up the board elsewhere with game time emotional comments. No one should be held responsible for the game thread chats. But its not for everyone. Some people prefer to stay in their little positive bubble the whole game nd if that's the way they fan, then great for them. 

The game thread is the almost no-holds bar rollercoaster ride. Bringing it up here or acting like it makes the whole board irrational is not correct.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Look, it's just a fact that we're not going far without a drastic turn-around in the starting pitching which is near the bottom of the league. These guys just don't go beyond 5 innings much. 

Can we tread water long enough for Means to come back and Elias to trade for a starter? That's the big question, and it's why fans are jumpy. 

Define "going far?"

Just now, Pickles said:

Define "going far?"

I dunno, challenge for a playoff spot? With the way the teams are playing in this division? The bullpen is already crumbling thanks to the starting pitching. Givens will help, but it's a band-aid at best. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I dunno, challenge for a playoff spot? With the way the teams are playing in this division? The bullpen is already crumbling thanks to the starting pitching. Givens will help, but it's a band-aid at best. 

So you don't think this team as currently constructed won't challenge for a playoff spot?

That's deeply pessimistic and isn't borne out by any analysis.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean like this thread? :D

Tony so funny. Glad you put in your little emoji so I knew you were being playful and not passive aggressively insulting one of your longest tenured board members.

I think the course of this thread has proven my point though.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

People really need to stop relying on Means. We just don’t know what he will be like, if he will pitch, etc…

It’s a shame they didn’t grab Eovaldi in the offseason.  He’s off to a nice start and his contract was extremely doable. Would feel much better about things if he was here.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact is the start was mirage. This team is not a 100 win team which is what they were on pace on before the Braves series. Now is this team a terrible team that is going to collapse, no, but it does have flaws that they've been able to get over thanks to some real good relief pitching. But those guys are bound to get burnt out at the rate of innings they've had to cover because of starting staff that can't consistently eat innings. 

Close wins can be frustrating especially when it just would have taken one hit here and there to win the game, but the Braves pitchers get paid to and they pitched to the weaknesses of our hitters on Sunday. Saturday was a tougher pill to swallow because Hyde made a questionable bullpen move that backfired, but as sketchy as Bautista has been of late, who's to say he wouldn't have blown it? 

It's baseball. You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains. 

Right, it was a mirage....to what degree still needs to be found out.

And it's not a 100 win team.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But the game threads are designed for that. it stops from cluttering up the board elsewhere with game time emotional comments. No one should be held responsible for the game thread chats. But its not for everyone. Some people prefer to stay in their little positive bubble the whole game nd if that's the way they fan, then great for them. 

The game thread is the almost no-holds bar rollercoaster ride. Bringing it up here or acting like it makes the whole board irrational is not correct.

That's why I attend the game thread so often 😉

Just now, Sports Guy said:

People really need to stop relying on Means. We just don’t know what he will be like, if he will pitch, etc…

It’s a shame they didn’t grab Eovaldi in the offseason.  He’s off to a nice start and his contract was extremely doable. Would feel much better about things if he was here.

I mean I totally agree. I cringed even typing Means' name because the odds are SLIM that he's sharp this year. But... that's where we're at. Kind of desperate at the moment. 

I know the game threads are supposed to be the place for emotion and venting, but they've really gone downhill this year. On Thursday, someone questioned why Cano was being brought in to a game that was already lost, when the game was tied. Like, have some standards at least?

Edited by SilverRocket

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So you don't think this team as currently constructed won't challenge for a playoff spot?

That's deeply pessimistic and isn't borne out by any analysis.

I guess I'm not really seeing the path forward. We can't continue to have starters go 4 or 5 innings and be at the top of the league in bullpen innings and continue to win games. Now hopefully guys like Bradish and Kremer and Grayson get better as we go, but I don't know that you can count on it. 

So... I don't know! The other teams have better rotations and good bullpens and good offenses, too. Lol. We can't rely on Oriole Magic for 120 more games. 

Edited by interloper

Bottom line, we looked very competitive this weekend but close is only good in horseshoes.  I’d feel much better about the weekend if we’d found a way not to lose 2 out of 3, which was definitely doable.  It was a disappointing weekend, but not a discouraging one, if you get the distinction.  

There’s still 128 games to play and the next few weeks are tough.  I think we’ll learn a lot about this team’s chances during this stretch of games.  Go O’s!

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How would  you feel if they'd grabbed Rodon?