Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

3 minutes ago, justD said:

How do you teach someone to command their stuff?  Seems to be a pattern our minor league pitching prospects consistently bring with them when coming up.  Whenever someone finally throws strikes, it's like some sort of magic that no one can define. 

Well, I'm no pitching coach, but one way is to have them work on that pitch or pitches in the minors and not worry about the results. He should know without throwing a high enough percentage of strikes or getting swings and misses on his offspeed pitches he's not getting promoted. 

Let's face it, Rodriguez did not earn his promotion this year. He had a terrible spring and then had one AAA start where he walked 4 in 4 IP. 

The stuff is there, but he's clearly not quite ready to be able to compete when his command is off. that's something pitchers learn over time.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I don't understan the relevance of the Orioles not having been able to develop pitchers ~20 years ago. This isn't like the Ravens who have had the same front office continuously.

Elias/Sig have a model that does a very good job at identifying bats. It's not clear if they can do the same with pitching because they don't really try.

The Orioles actually weren’t bad at it years ago. Many of the guys were homegrown whether a starter (Mussina) or a guy like Benitez (solid reliever).

They just haven’t prioritized it in years. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Erik Bedard, Eduardo Rodriguez and Jake Arrieta -- Zach Britton before he was turned into a closer. 

I can't believe the crap I'm reading here.  Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson both struggled their first couple years in the league.  

Ed Rod never pitched an inning for us.  Arrieta doesn’t count.  He was horrible here and instantly became good after we traded him.  Britton was never a good starter.

Ohtani hits a monstrous home run and then turns around and plows through our 5-6-7 hitters. That is…..not normal. 

Sucks we’re losing but I intend to appreciate what I’m watching. Long season, it’s ok to let it go and admire the opposition every once in a while. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yes and after that last guy score she said she "quit" got her Ipad and is surfing the internet now tuning the game out.  She was crushed by the horror that is Grayson

I think that's gonna be my Mom when me and my brother take care of her in about 14 years. My mom will probably live till she's about 98. No joke. 

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Ohtani hits a monstrous home run and then turns around and plows through our 5-6-7 hitters. That is…..not normal. 

Sucks we’re losing but I intend to appreciate what I’m watching. Long season, it’s ok to let it go and admire the opposition every once in a while. 

We're not going to win every game and honestly, this was never a good matchup to begin with. The game is not over though. This team has shown the ability to come back.