Santander Back to Back Starts at Firstbase

RVAOsFan

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar hasn’t made many bad throws lately.  And honestly, Mountcastle is very mediocre at handling bounced throws.  He kind of stabs at the ball; sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t.  For a guy who played SS and 3B for 3 years in the minors, he doesn’t have very soft hands.  With a little experience, I think Santander could be as good or better.  

Last two games, I thought Santander looked pretty comfortable, he says with a tinge of surprise in his voice. He handled a couple not-ideal throws and made the plays he had to. Ultimate SSS, but I agree with the tone of this thread in that this move has a Cowser shadow......

• Upvote 1

I thought the catch of the sharp liner early in the game was a nice play for him.

I wouldn't say it was a hard play, but it was an infield play that needed to be made in a fraction of a second, and I think one of the basic differences between IF and OF is outfielders get full seconds for their entire plays to happen.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why some of the hate on Mountcastle? Sure he isn’t the best defensive first base but he’s serviceable IMO and still has less than 2 seasons playing the position so hopefully he will improve. 

As for hitting, he’s only 26 and this is just his third full season in the majors. I think he will get better and don’t see him as a career .250 hitter. Plus right now he’s really our only true home run threat. 

It just seems like some are ready to give up on him. Chris Davis was given up on by Texas in my opinion way too early. I’m interested to see Cowser and Westburg but be careful what you wish for. No assurance that either will thrive in the majors. 

Has anyone from the organization said what the thinking is in starting Santander at 1B these last couple games? It would seem if the goal is to have Cowser, Santander, and Mountcastle in the lineup the natural option would be for Santander to DH. So is there writing on the wall for Mountcastle? 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Has anyone from the organization said what the thinking is in starting Santander at 1B these last couple games? It would seem if the goal is to have Cowser, Santander, and Mountcastle in the lineup the natural option would be for Santander to DH. So is there writing on the wall for Mountcastle? 

I think it’s as simple as Mountcastle isn’t good enough to be playing every day all season. When he gets in slumps, he needs to sit. When he’s hitting well, he should be in every day. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s as simple as Mountcastle isn’t good enough to be playing every day all season. When he gets in slumps, he needs to sit. When he’s hitting well, he should be in every day. 

How do they know he's out of his slump when he's not playing?

Have they got a haruspex on staff?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating how many people are looking to reduce the AB's for the team leader in HR's (on pace for 35), slugging %,

one off lead in doubles

Last 15 games .288/.323/.593

We lose the game last night if he doesn't enter as a pinch hitter

If he is healthy he should be in the lineup every game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Fascinating how many people are looking to reduce the AB's for the team leader in HR's (on pace for 35), slugging %,

one off lead in doubles

He's the current punching bag.  Every team has one and with Odor gone the OH had to pick a new one.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

one off lead in doubles

If he was in the lineup, he doesn't get that matchup/situation. I don't think it is a bad idea to give more of our core players days off from starting and bringing them in for favorable pinch hit situations.

8 hours ago, Os4days said:

Not sure why some of the hate on Mountcastle? 

Does anybody “hate” Mountcastle?  I don’t think so.  Some people don’t think he’s part of the long-term future of the team, is all.

By the way, I was at his 3-homer game in 2021, and his 2-homer, 9 RBI game this year, and I was there for his 433-foot bomb last night.  I go to about 8-10 games a year, and I’d bet Mountcastle has a 1.000+ OPS in the 25-30 games I’ve attended.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s kind of a maddening player.   For me, he’s a borderline case, who needs to become more consistent.  I thought he had a decent chance for a breakout season this year (just due to the experience curve and his wOBA/xwOBA gap), and there’s still time for that to happen in 2023, but it definitely hasn’t happened yet.  I’ll keep hoping.  

56 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Nah.  Mountcastle's still a solid 1B and hitter.  Just a way to work matchups.  SFG, TB, CHC, and a few others really maximize the full 26-man roster.  O's are doing it too but the depth isn't a talented.  Specifically, is O'Hearn's ability to back-up 1B and LHB adding more valuable than other ways that roster spot can be handled?  If Santander can back-up 1B, then maybe we can address COF and/or DH without sacrificing offense (i.e. playing McKenna or Vavra).

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

one off lead in doubles

Dont forget about O'Hearn's contribution last night. I like Mountcastle too, I also like the platooning the O's seem to be embracing. Maybe getting close to taking a few ABs from Gunner.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does anybody “hate” Mountcastle?  I don’t think so.  Some people don’t think he’s part of the long-term future of the team, is all.

By the way, I was at his 3-homer game in 2021, and his 2-homer, 9 RBI game this year, and I was there for his 433-foot bomb last night.  I go to about 8-10 games a year, and I’d bet Mountcastle has a 1.000+ OPS in the 25-30 games I’ve attended.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s kind of a maddening player.   For me, he’s a borderline case, who needs to become more consistent.  I thought he had a decent chance for a breakout season this year (just due to the experience curve and his wOBA/xwOBA gap), and there’s still time for that to happen in 2023, but it definitely hasn’t happened yet.  I’ll keep hoping.  

We've got a poster that complains about his smile and the fact that he leans back as part of his hitting routine.

That ain't right.

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

one off lead in doubles

How do you know we lose that game?  There’s no telling what O’Hearn would have done.  Mountcastle certainly was a big contributor.  

RMC is a streaky guy.   It’s good that he’s been hot for 15 games.  Like almost everyone, I just wish he didn’t have such extended cold streaks and didn’t give away so many at bats.  You look at his career to date, he has a 111 wRC+.  For a 1B, that’s neither great nor terrible.  It feels like he could be better than he is, so it’s frustrating.  

I don't hate Mountcastle but he is frustrating. Many complained about Jones seeming inability to adjust his approach to address a known weakness. That did not mean they hated Jones. That said we may have better options than a 1B with great power but under .300 OBP. My question was whether the organization has said anything about the curious decision for Santander to start two games in a row.