Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

Frobby

Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O’s get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/23 at 16:49

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This song had it's day and well beyond, but I think it's time to switch to something more appropriate for baseball, and for today's generation.

The song was fun the 1st time I was at Camden Yards, but now I'm just over it. I'd like to hear something more up to date.

And on that note, I don't understand the whole Fenway Park Sweet Caroline thing either. It's just a really odd song to be singing at a baseball game.

When I was a kid in the 4th grade, our music teacher had us perform a choir style concert for parents and it was all baseball songs. Maybe I am just spoiled by that when it comes to this topic. We sang songs about Sandy Koufax, peanuts and Crackerjacks, and an entire catalog of baseball songs. It was a memorable experience from my childhood.

The most horrible part of Sweet Caroline is that it was imported into Penn State home games several years ago by moronically impressionable students.

Now it can also be heard on a currently running TV commercial... hate that "Oh, Oh, Oh" and the "so good, so good" BS.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

If the plan is to put the crowd to sleep, that's a fine choice. :). Fine song, but a snoozer.

To be clear. I wasn't suggesting that song. Someone had mentioned it earlier in the thread as being just as random as "Country Boy"  and that's why I said that it was at least about Maryland. 

It's time to kick John Denver to the curb and play "Blue Skies Over Dundalk"!

There’ll be angels making music in the air
There’ll be magic for all of us to share
There’ll be blue skies over Dundalk when I break your heart

There’ll be flowers blooming happy in the sun
There’ll be O’s fans goin’ down the ocean hon
There’ll be blue skies over Dundalk when I break your heart

I never meant to hurt you
Mi diablo mi amigo
But I’ve built up so much character
I have an alter ego

And I have to make a clean break
And I have to do it quick
’Cause the pain you give me, babe
Would make Cal Ripken call in sick

There’ll be ravens, blocking tackles in the sky
There’ll be cans of Natty Boh for you and I
There’ll be blue skies over Dundalk when I break your heart

• Upvote 3

I'd be fine with just playing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and then going on with the game.

If someone wants to add an additional song, I'd suggest "Chiapanecas," the song they used to play in the early '60's.

Maybe it's because of my age, but I would replace it with Orioles Magic. I fell in love with the Orioles in the early 90s. That said, if we keep the current song, I don't mind it either.

For those who struggle to find something you care about less, I'm pretty sure it'd be the hotdog race or "guess which crab has the ball". :)

9 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Maybe it's because of my age, but I would replace it with Orioles Magic. I fell in love with the Orioles in the early 90s. That said, if we keep the current song, I don't mind it either.

For those who struggle to find something you care about less, I'm pretty sure it'd be the hotdog race or "guess which crab has the ball". :)

The hot dog race gets a bigger crowd reaction than the game itself, and I just don't get it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

The hot dog race gets a bigger crowd reaction than the game itself, and I just don't get it.

Ugh i have to modify my previous post.   Forgot about this travesty.

They should get rid of the ridiculous animated hot dog "race."  It's so much more fun and exciting to watch silly mascots run around the warning track like at most other ballparks.   You could even keep them as hot dogs.

This is priority #1.  Changing the 7th inning stretch song is #2.   :)

6 hours ago, hutchead said:

Since I've always been a country boy and live in the sticks in southern Virginia, I always get a kick out of traveling to Baltimore and listening to city folk sing about being a country boy. I love the song and I love the irony and I hope they keep it. (By the way, this country boy will make the trip this weekend to take in all three Ranger games).

I feel the same, as I grew up on a farm in rural Iowa.  While at my first game in Camden Yards I was like, "why are all these city slickers singing a song about living in the country?"

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I feel the same, as I grew up on a farm in rural Iowa.  While at my first game in Camden Yards I was like, "why are all these city slickers singing a song about living in the country?"

To be fair, most Orioles fans probably don’t live in the city.