Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

15 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

You mean this Ryan O'Hearn, who spent 5 years in KC with max 328 ABs (2019), with PT declining over the 5 years, who we got for nothing and some here want to START on a team with playoff aspirations who has this career line??????? Regression to mean as pitchers catch up tp him seems most likely.

.226 .299 .403 .702

Why do pitchers need to catch up with him as they been doing that for the previous 5 years. Maybe he's catching up to them. Obviously he is not going to OPS .990 for year but at this point he should be in a platoon with Mountcastle

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

O'Hearn's got a .990 OPS in 71 PA's , I say ride the hot hand. Sorry, Mounty.

And it could end as suddenly as Mateos' dramatic regression. I dont remember Frazier's amazing tear. 

The MAIN difference in this analogy is that Mateo actually has great talent that has not yet been harnessed, IF, and its a GREAT IFFFFFFFF, he could reprogram himself to lay off the "Adam Jones Slider obsession", just partially, he is a Gold Glove caliber SS with a .700 to .750 OPS player that is a bridge to Jackson sometime next year and then a trade chip as an SS or possibly a CF, given his top of the charts speed and past experience in the MiLB and SD as CF. He could be the bridge to Fabian as well (in my dreams).

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

Why do pitchers need to catch up with him as they been doing that for the previous 5 years. Maybe he's catching up to them. Obviously he is not going to OPS .990 for year but at this point he should be in a platoon with Mountcastle

Sometimes the light just comes on.

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

The MAIN difference in this analogy is that Mateo actually has great talent that has not yet been harnessed, IF, and its a GREAT IFFFFFFFF, he could reprogram himself to lay off the "Adam Jones Slider obsession", just partially, he is a Gold Glove caliber SS with a .700 to .750 OPS player that is a bridge to Jackson sometime next year and then a trade chip as an SS or possibly a CF, given his top of the charts speed and past experience in the MiLB and SD as CF. He could be the bridge to Fabian as well (in my dreams).

Who is Fabio 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

True.

Most times it's just flickering a bit.

I don’t have high expectations but he’s better than Mountcastle right now. His stats are starting to pile up in the mediocre category and .1 WAR in 250 ABs is not anywhere near good enough for a 1B.

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

OK, I will bite. First, I like O'Hearn, he seems to be the rare beast that can sit the bench and still produce offense-ably, in sporadic doses. Those doses, IMHO, need to be as the 26th man who fills in at 1B and DH and PH, NEVER setting foot in RF. However, we have the "Hyde effect", again IMHO, who loves his scrappy guys willing to do anything to land in MLB and hang on, which he was never able to do (Vavra, Frazier, O'Hearn, Lester). I am sure the other teams have a book on O'Hearn but he is hardly worth focusing on in their pre-game planning. He is a limited role player we should take advantage of (Ayala, Crowley, etc.), not someone we should bench Mountcastle over. Truly, I would use an option and send Mounty to AAA and burn Diaz (possibly), at least Diaz is a plus glove. MAYBE that would get thru Mounty's head (this time) that walks matter and driving low and away sliders at COFs is a loosing game that someone with his bat-to-ball skills SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTROL. There is big money to be made if he can fix his propensity and be selective. Bats like his don't grow on trees, his bat-to-ball skills are special. His approach is not.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Probably true as O'Hearn only has a .736 OPS career against RHP. Not exactly eye opening, which makes me wonder what Elias saw with him. 

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+
  vs RHP 354   974 872 96 205 41 5 39 137 0 1 90 251 .235 .308 .428 .736

If you look at O'Hearn's career Split stats there are some intriguing figures--some of which confirm what we've thought were plusses about him, such as being a very good hitter coming off the bench as a PH or late-inning replacement.

He's also clubbed the Yankees and Blue Jays to the tune of 7 HR / 18 RBI in just 84 AB (93 PA). He also heats up as the season progresses.

Edited by LA2

14 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

OK, I will bite. First, I like O'Hearn, he seems to be the rare beast that can sit the bench and still produce offense-ably, in sporadic doses. Those doses, IMHO, need to be as the 26th man who fills in at 1B and DH and PH, NEVER setting foot in RF. However, we have the "Hyde effect", again IMHO, who loves his scrappy guys willing to do anything to land in MLB and hang on, which he was never able to do (Vavra, Frazier, O'Hearn, Lester). I am sure the other teams have a book on O'Hearn but he is hardly worth focusing on in their pre-game planning. He is a limited role player we should take advantage of (Ayala, Crowley, etc.), not someone we should bench Mountcastle over. Truly, I would use an option and send Mounty to AAA and burn Diaz (possibly), at least Diaz is a plus glove. MAYBE that would get thru Mounty's head (this time) that walks matter and driving low and away sliders at COFs is a loosing game that someone with his bat-to-ball skills SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTROL. There is big money to be made if he can fix his propensity and be selective. Bats like his don't grow on trees, his bat-to-ball skills are special. His approach is not.

You dont need to bite because it was a good post. Maybe O'hearn is the rare beast that can be the 26th man, but maybe he's more than that, lets find out. You got a little side ways with Crowley and Ayala because they are from an era of 8 man bench and less analytics, Trust me todays game knows who O'Hearn is. Yes waking Mountcastle is a priority at this point but burning roster spots to get Diaz up here, not yet, Platoon first, Santander next and a trade deadline acquisition, Whatever we have to get better at first base  

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

You mean this Ryan O'Hearn, who spent 5 years in KC with max 328 ABs (2019), with PT declining over the 5 years, who we got for nothing and some here want to START on a team with playoff aspirations who has this career line??????? Regression to mean as pitchers catch up tp him seems most likely.

.226 .299 .403 .702

Mountcastle is .227/.264/.421/.686. Platooning them works for me until Mountcastle gets hot or OHearn cools off. I don't think anyone thinks OHearn will continue to hit .900 but he doesn't have to to be better than Mountcastle.