The season is 40% over and the O’s are on pace for 102 wins…

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Another factor that some forget is the balanced schedule has really made things easier for the orioles and the other AL East teams. They no longer have to beat each up for 18-19 games a year. I probably didn't take that into consideration enough when I thought they would be around an 85-87 win team this year.  

I think we can see that in the standings this year where all of the AL East teams are but Boston (who are one game under) are over .500 this year. I know I like facing KC and Oakland more than I do facing the Rays or the Yankees. 

The balance schedule has made things more fair across baseball for making the playoffs. That should help the Orioles hide some of their current weak areas a bit.

This is true, and it’s also the case that AL East games make up about 35% of our remaining schedule, compared to only 27% of the schedule we’ve played already.  So, the road ahead is a bit tougher than the road already traveled.  On the other hand, the team is 11-7 (.611) against the other AL East teams so far, almost as good as its record against non-AL East teams (30-17, .638).   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thanks for the negative rep! Nice to see you're able to handle some criticism on this board where criticism and discussion is apparently welcome.

It was the third post in a row about how terrible my post was. You earned it at that point. But yeah, crying about rep is about right for you today. Maybe take a deep breath. Maybe just take a break for a bit and calm down. You are making this out to be much more than it needs to be. Hell, Frobby and I have already discussed this over PM. It's over. 

Next topic.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is true, and it’s also the case that AL East games make up about 35% of our remaining schedule, compared to only 27% of the schedule we’ve played already.  So, the road ahead is a bit tougher than the road already traveled.  On the other hand, the team is 11-7 (.611) against the other AL East teams so far, almost as good as its record against non-AL East teams (30-17, .638).   

And this is the first time that I can remember that I really don't "fear" the other AL East teams. Maybe it's because we're 11-7 so far, or maybe it's because I have faith in this team to play well overall, but I don't feel the Orioles ever go into a game as a deep underdog. 

That's a credit to how they've played this year, but it's nice to know they only have to play their inter Division rivals 13 times vs the 18-19. It's still a little unbalanced for a "balanced" schedule, but it's better than it was.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Complaining about negative rep is always an endearing trait.  

I couldn't care less about rep man. It doesn't even show on the message board anymore, it's meaningless. I just think it's funny when Tony doles it out after talking about how the board needs criticism. Well.... 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It was the third post in a row about how terrible my post was. You earned it at that point. But yeah, crying about rep is about right for you today. Maybe take a deep breath. Maybe just take a break for a bit and calm down. You are making this out to be much more than it needs to be. Hell, Frobby and I have already discussed this over PM. It's over. 

Next topic.

Fair enough, I'm glad you sorted it out over PM. You're better than that post you made though, and it was disappointing to see. That's all! Still laughing at "Frobbyite" though. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It wasn’t my intention at all to discourage criticism of the team or to tell other people how to be a fan.  That’s why I included the last paragraph.   I don’t think everything is perfect at all, or that we shouldn’t do anything to try to improve the team.  I’m just saying, it’s good sometimes to stop and enjoy the fact that the team is in the position it’s  in, and give some credit to the organizational leaders who got the team there.

We discussed this offline, and while you softened the tone towards the end, you literally wrote, " I feel the mood of the board is overwhelmingly negative.   Just constant whinging about roster construction, the cheap owners, the daily lineups, etc."  and "It’s a very good team, created by Elias and steered by Hyde, and I’m very happy with how the team is run and content to let the professionals do their jobs without believing I could do it better."

So as you can see, you took two very big shots at the board as a whole and insinuated we should just let the professionals do there jobs without "believing you could do better," which means, don't question them.

Now it's over, and we can move on, but at the end of the day, all discussion and opinions are welcome and should not be labelled as whining if they mention something that might not be perfect. I don't want anyone to feel they can't have a complaint or concern without being labelled a whiner. We can still love where the team is and have concerns or things to discuss.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, I'm glad you sorted it out over PM. You're better than that post you made though, and it was disappointing to see. That's all! Still laughing at "Frobbyite" though. 

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on my mood at the time of posting. :D

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think G-Rod comes back at some point.  Is that counting on him?  Dunno.

IMO, he just looked way lost and I think he's got a lot to unravel before becoming a positive contributor.  I think he's got a lot more to work on than anyone wants to admit.

I don’t know that I would say he looked lost but he has to improve. I just think he will and that he will be needed in the second half of the year.

• Upvote 1

I think the Elias/Hyde/Holt/Sig have done a amazing job building to this point.   40% of the season at  a 102 win pace is quite an accomplishment.  I have been extremely happy with the first two months of the season.  The rebuild has reached the point I hoped for.

But......

The last two weeks have me concerned.   Losing series to the Rangers,  Guardians and Brewers.   And now here come the Blue Jays.   Yes,  I don't like the trend that is building here.   I am not saying the O's are going to go on a losing streak but as Tony points out the balance schedule has changed things.   More wins will be needed to make the playoffs than in the past.   We should paid attention to the cracks in the winning that are occurring.

The good thing is that Cowser, Westburg and Ortiz have mastered AAA and are ready to help.   GRod will be back and I am confident better than when he left.   Cedric will be back in a few weeks.    But there will be other injuries.

I am interested to see if a reordering of the playing time is actually happening.   Are Mountcastle and Mateo really going to play less and  O'Hearn and Urias play more?   

The pen is somewhat thin with the injuries to Tate and Givens.   But if  GRod comes back and one of the starters goes to the pen that would help as will Hall and Means later in the season.

All and all at the 40% mark I am both happy and concerned.  Watching every game and looking forward to what comes next.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

And this is the first time that I can remember that I really don't "fear" the other AL East teams. Maybe it's because we're 11-7 so far, or maybe it's because I have faith in this team to play well overall, but I don't feel the Orioles ever go into a game as a deep underdog. 

That's a credit to how they've played this year, but it's nice to know they only have to play their inter Division rivals 13 times vs the 18-19. It's still a little unbalanced for a "balanced" schedule, but it's better than it was.

I've enjoyed at times in the past the reverse jinx, no chance type threads, but I hope we're coming to a run of Orioles baseball we can call a pause on those.     Let the other teams fan boards write them about us.

This October, our A lineup, against the best pitchers in the world...still not a No Chance scenario.    Even if we're down 0-1 in Minnesota and....oooh scary....Joe Ryan or Pablo Lopez is pitching.     Never mind in another October or two when all the other high 1st rounders are in the mix.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Hey Interloper, I'd be careful and not laugh too hard--I've read that Frobbyite is almost as debilitating as Kryptonite. Rumors of OHeroes being neg-repped all the way into foul territory....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

And that 11-7 could easily have been 13-5 if not for two very isolable mishaps....

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It’s a huge burden released from our shoulders