Does Mountcastle have any trade value?

DocJJ

4 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Getting back to the OPs original question, the Angels desperately need a 1B. They just signed Daniel Murphy for god's sake who hasn't played since 2020. That's the only type of team who might be interested in Mountcastle right now. A desperate one. 

I do love a good Angels fleecing. And no team should be more desperate than the one which continues to waste seasons with the two best players on planet Earth, but who are close enough to a wild card to make some bad decisions. 

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And the Angels should have a lot of pitching prospects since they draft pitcher heavy. I think one draft a year two ago they drafted all pitchers. 

I believe the first two are the only ones in the top 100 (overall). And they recently called up Ben Joyce (he was throwing like 103 mph!), but he just went on the IL with arm issues. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/angels

4 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't think semi-permanent is a thing.

Sure it is. Platoon him til it doesn’t make sense to do it anymore. Whether that’s because O’Hearn eventually stops hitting (this is a near certainty) or because Mountcastle is able to show some type of major improvement in his approach to warrant giving him another shot again righties. 

We know the marlins, giants and twins have woeful first basemen. We know they all have pitching talent to complete a trade. I could see any of these three teams as teams that would receive an upgrade with Mounty as their first baseman. What we get in return is up in the air as it relies on what prospects we’d be willing to trade. I could see us giving up someone like an Ortiz, Westburg or Norby and getting a serviceable starter. Throw in Mateo and the team would be getting two starters plus a future option to get a starter. If you look at the trade for Verlander during his call up to the Astros in August, the deal looks extremely similar. I think a team on the cusp would more than willing make that trade to further their goal of making the playoffs. I still think we are gearing up to Kjerstead/Santander manning the first base spot with the flexibility of playing in right field. We like guys who can play multiple positions so it just depends on who the O’s like most to man second base, Ortiz/Westburg/Norby and which starter they like the most between what the twins, giants and Marlins can garner.

36 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

We know the marlins, giants and twins have woeful first basemen. We know they all have pitching talent to complete a trade. I could see any of these three teams as teams that would receive an upgrade with Mounty as their first baseman. What we get in return is up in the air as it relies on what prospects we’d be willing to trade. I could see us giving up someone like an Ortiz, Westburg or Norby and getting a serviceable starter. Throw in Mateo and the team would be getting two starters plus a future option to get a starter. If you look at the trade for Verlander during his call up to the Astros in August, the deal looks extremely similar. I think a team on the cusp would more than willing make that trade to further their goal of making the playoffs. I still think we are gearing up to Kjerstead/Santander manning the first base spot with the flexibility of playing in right field. We like guys who can play multiple positions so it just depends on who the O’s like most to man second base, Ortiz/Westburg/Norby and which starter they like the most between what the twins, giants and Marlins can garner.

Why would any of those three teams - all of whom are very much in playoff contention themselves - deal an above average starting pitcher?

The Verlander deal is vastly over-emphasized here just because of where Mike Elias used to work, but if you really want to make it your reference point... The Tigers were the worst team in baseball in 2017, and moved Verlander for three of the Astros' top 11 prospects. None of those prospects panned out, which is of course the gamble. But they were well-regarded at the time.

The Orioles certainly have the assets that cut a deal like that, but it'd have to be with a rebuilding team. And the trade almost certainly wouldn't include Ryan Mountcastle, who is already 26-years old, plays a fairly replaceable position (and is mediocre as a position player, at best), and enters arbitration next year.

17 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Why would any of those three teams - all of whom are very much in playoff contention themselves - deal an above average starting pitcher?

The Verlander deal is vastly over-emphasized here just because of where Mike Elias used to work, but if you really want to make it your reference point... The Tigers were the worst team in baseball in 2017, and moved Verlander for three of the Astros' top 11 prospects. None of those prospects panned out, which is of course the gamble. But they were well-regarded at the time.

The Orioles certainly have the assets that cut a deal like that, but it'd have to be with a rebuilding team. And the trade almost certainly wouldn't include Ryan Mountcastle, who is already 26-years old, plays a fairly replaceable position (and is mediocre as a position player, at best), and enters arbitration next year.

Good point but a long way to August. Perhaps Eduardo Rodriguez would be a better target. Or Cease but Cease’s year has definitely not been his last.

56 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Giants  - Lamonte Wade has been awesome this season for the Giants. He has an OBP over .400! There's no chance the Giants would see Mountcastle as an upgrade. They also aren't in a position to trade a MLB ready SP. 

Twins - The Twins won't view Mountcastle as a significant enough upgrade over a\their platoon of Gallo/Kirilloff to give up anything of consequence. They're also not that deep at SP with Maeda on the IL.  

Marlins - This is the only team (of the three) that makes sense as a potential trade partner. That assumes Rogers isn't terrible when he returns to the rotation.  Realistically the only one of their SPs we might be able to get for Mountcastle is Braxton Garrett.  I'd be fine with that trade. Garrett had one horrific start on May 3rd (11 runs!), but has otherwise been very good. I think I'd prefer him to Trevor Rogers at this point. 

Despite OH's love of Jorge Mateo I think he has little or no trade value right now. 

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I made a lot of money reading people.  It's not random.  

You said that I could read Mountcastle's mind.  I replied that I didn't have that power.

I'm not doubting your ability to read the mind of someone you've never met.

Heck, you can probably guess what I'm thinking right now.  😉