Kolozsvary out, Ortiz back

interloper

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Regardless it’s a much bette me use of the spot than a third catcher was. 

Still doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like Mountcastle was so last minute that they just grabbed a guy off the taxi squad. Probably not enough time to get Ortiz here from Norfolk before the game. 

• Upvote 2

I think I'd hand SS over to Ortiz and let him play himself out of it.   Though I love Mateo's glove, Ortiz deserves a chance to see if he can be an upgrade.   In the meantime, I think it would be nice to see Ortiz play 2B and Mateo to play SS against LHP.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I think I'd hand SS over to Ortiz and let him play himself out of it.   Though I love Mateo's glove, Ortiz deserves a chance to see if he can be an upgrade.   In the meantime, I think it would be nice to see Ortiz play 2B and Mateo to play SS against LHP.

I would too, although I have one eyebrow raised about Mateo's game yesterday. He hit a lot of balls hard and hit into some bad luck. I'm wondering if he's close to busting out again. 

8 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm a bit perplexed as to what the point of ever calling Kolozsvary up in the first place was, if they only intended to keep him around for a day. 

Not going to lie I didn't even know Kolozsvary was on the 26 man roster. I have been busy recently, but in my defense Kolozsvary only made one appearance in a game with zero at bats.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would too, although I have one eyebrow raised about Mateo's game yesterday. He hit a lot of balls hard and hit into some bad luck. I'm wondering if he's close to busting out again. 

Urias-Mateo-Ortiz would be elite defensively and a decent amount of upside with the bats. DH Gunnar while he’s on a heater, otherwise the occasional day off vs LHP. Ortiz opens up a lot of options. I think he’s an exciting roster upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not going to lie I didn't even know Kolozsvary was on the 26 man roster. I have been busy recently, but in my defense Kolozsvary only made one appearance in a game with zero at bats.

Don’t beat yourself up he was on the 26 for less than 24 hours LOL. 

• Haha 1

Mateo has a role on the team even if not the everyday SS. Obviously as a pinch runner. But if you recall in 2021 (I don't blame you if you don't), he played 18 games for us at second and only started 12 of them. If you go back to the year before with the Padres, he played five games at second and started one of those.

Would anyone object to Mateo replacing Frazier late in the game during high-leverage defensive situations? Even if Jorge had to hit in extras or whatnot, there's really not that much of a dropoff from Frazier.

He could be a weapon as an infield utility man.

• Upvote 1