Let's talk about Jordan Montgomery

Just Regular

Being officially into the second half of June, outcomes for some of the in-between teams are clarifying.     STL looks here like they have gone past a point of no return in the last week.

Adam Wainwright chasing one more drop of glory seems to have picked wrong bypassing the chance to sail off into the sunset with Yadi and Albert.

Lyles/Gibson wins by Elias against the other 29 Clubs so far have suggested a fondness for reliability.   Montgomery's 2018-2019 had the TJ interruption, but his 2017 and 2020-2023 attendance has been about perfect.    Across 2020-2023, Fangraphs sees 100 Qualified pitchers - Montgomery is 26th in Innings Pitched and 43rd in ERA.     I don't believe anyone ahead of him on either Sort is likely to move by August 2nd.

Montgomery has completed 14 turns already this season, probably has about 6 more before the deadline, including a scheduled Nationals Park turn next week.     Oh yeah I want to throw him against the Yankees this summer and fall.

Miles Mikolas is weak, Jack Flaherty is lost, but sure it could be them as Elias shops around for efficiency.     Jordan Montgomery is good and has AL East experience.     Even beyond the presently hurt Ryan Helsley, Giovanny Gallegos and Jordan Hicks are Arms I would love to see what Holt could do with, but keeping guesses simplest....

Are you offering DL Hall for a Jordan Montgomery rental?

Not to rain on your post but I don't see Elias trading value for a rental. 

I'm guessing he'll look for something more like one of Mateo / Ortiz / Urias plus one of Stowers / Prieto to MIA for Trevor Rogers and Steven Okert. That gives him his rotation guy and BP help. Both are '27 FA's. Okert is running a 39% K rate right now. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Classic OH let's get rid of everyone I want gone trade offer.

Just like the Cardinals would covet Mountcastle.

Montgomery is a rental right? Irvin is younger and under control next year as well. StL as a history of fixing pitchers. The prospect list is everyone under Ortiz, I actually meant to include Ortiz as well but was rushing before going offline. So 1.5 yrs of a MLB pitcher and some prospect or 2 that fills a need of theirs. Might not be of interest to them but it isn't embarrassing for a rental.

5 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

It's a big risk for the O's to trade for rentals.  Even though I think pitching is more important I'd rather trade for Goldschmidt since he's got another year on his contract.

Do you think they can get where we want them to go without accepting some risk?

9 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Not to rain on your post but I don't see Elias trading value for a rental. 

I'm guessing he'll look for something more like one of Mateo / Ortiz / Urias plus one of Stowers / Prieto to MIA for Trevor Rogers and Steven Okert. That gives him his rotation guy and BP help. Both are '27 FA's. Okert is running a 39% K rate right now. 

Certainly the Marlins match up as we've been discussing for years, but Rogers probably needs to show a lot of health next six weeks for Elias to consider.     

Though it would be fun around here if he acquired another Hurt Pitcher - Seth Johnson last year there was more latitude to ignore Present Wins.

Agree it would be a new and riskier move for Elias, but Sellers will be able to obtain value for rentals, so it is just a question of will you pay (talent) to play.     Montgomery I do think fits several of Elias' criteria - durable, long track record, not too expensive.    

Probably more of a needle nudger than a needle mover, but I do think he would concentrate strength of personnel in a 3 or 5 game series from what we could now do.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That's the worst trade offer ever.  That might get you a below average reliever.

Norby is a top 100 prospect.  I know he gets overlooked here but he is highly regarded by many of the National publication and scouts.  He is ranked around the same place ERod was when he was traded for Miller.  Norby alone should get you a good bullpen piece.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

There's always risk in trades.  But trading for a rental is probably too big a risk for a team that doesn't spend money anymore.

Elias likes rentals, they aren't under contract next year.  That's a feature, not a bug.

Anyway, you need to accept risk.  The stars are not going to align to give the O's a cost effective impact player with years of team control for peanuts.

If you sit there waiting for the best deal you end up sitting out.