When is the best time to call up rookies?

Sports Guy

I'm not against bringing the kids up, not at all. I would be against them half-assing it and giving sporadic playtime. If they aren't serious about letting them develop this year and potentially punting the season if they all struggle initially then I'd rather they get everyday reps in the minors. If they are serious about playing them, then trade the people you think they'll replace and live with whatever happens in the standings during the ML adjustment they will likely face.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not against bringing the kids up, not at all. I would be against them half-assing it and giving sporadic playtime. If they aren't serious about letting them develop this year and potentially punting the season if they all struggle initially then I'd rather they get everyday reps in the minors. If they are serious about playing them, then trade the people you think they'll replace and live with whatever happens in the standings during the ML adjustment they will likely face.

This is where I am too. It seems clear that this is not a year to push all the chips to the center of the table. It's yet another step in the growth of the organization. With that in mind, I'd love to see Ortiz and Westburg playing every day with the O's, even if their growing pains cost us a few games.

If, however, there's some legitimate area of weakness that needs work at Norfolk, I wish someone would explain what that is. But given that they're fine with Ortiz sitting on a MLB bench, that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with him. 

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

It's quite possible they are waiting to see if the team falters, which it appears is the case, so maybe we'll see them all up at some point getting real play time.

I think a good case can be made for the idea that the team is faltering because they HAVEN'T brought the right players up.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think a good case can be made for the idea that the team is faltering because they HAVEN'T brought the right players up.

I'd be interested in hearing that case be made. Not just out of feeling, but data. If you think they're all going to step in and be Corbin Carroll then that's probably not a thing, but I'd like to hear your case.

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

He's 0-11 with 5 K's. I hope it's not an automatic as to when he comes back. 

He's been the starting 1B for a couple of years now, so whenever he comes back he'll get plenty of opportunity before he's benched.  And that would mean the possibility of three veteran black holes in the lineup at the same time. 

Could that be the saturation point?  One can only hope.

Edited by 24fps

2 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

And I’m just explaining what I think the front office sees as his value. Not really arguing with you or anyone else. 

My theory is that Sig is the only guy who's successfully come up with a metric for both veteranocity and its corollary off-the-charts instincts.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd be interested in hearing that case be made. Not just out of feeling, but data. If you think they're all going to step in and be Corbin Carroll then that's probably not a thing, but I'd like to hear your case.

I don't think everyone is a Corbin Carrol.

But I don't think it's too much to ask for a top shelf AAA prospect to best Frazier's .150 BA and his 33 OPS+ over the last 30 days... and his defense has been putrid.

Or maybe we could hope they could muster a little more than Jorge's 32 OPS+ over the same period.

These guys are awful. We can't expect to sustain a winning team with that kind of stink coming from 2 players.

Keep Henderson and Urias... that leaves one starter and a Util to come up with.

You've got Westburg ripping the cover off the ball in AAA and even playing better defense wasting away in AAA. You've got Ortiz already on the big club... You've got Vavra.. You've got Norby.

You can argue that they won't all succeed.. but there's absolutely no way you can argue that one of Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Vavra wouldn't be better than either of the two guys who are stinkin it up today.

The Infield ought to be Henderson, Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg.

If you can get a bag of balls for either of the other two... do it.

Otherwise... cut 'em loose.

14 minutes ago, owknows said:

The Infield ought to be Henderson, Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg.

If you can get a bag of balls for either of the other two... do it.

Otherwise... cut 'em loose.

Wouldn't have to be a new bag either. 

• Upvote 1

Missing is this discussion is that Mateo is hitting 300/346/425/771  vs lefties.   That is more then enough for him to be a platoon SS on this team  considering he is a pinch runner that leads the team in steals and a GG caliber SS defensively.

Also note that Gunnar, Urias and Frazier are not hitting lefties.

Today vs a righty Henderson is at SS and Urias is a 3rd.

Edited by wildcard

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Missing is this discussion is that Mateo is hitting 300/346/425/771  vs lefties.   That is more then enough for him to be a platoon SS on this team  considering he is a pinch runner that leads the team in steals and a GG caliber SS defensively.

Also note that Gunnar, Urias and Frazier are not hitting lefties.

Today vs a righty Henderson is at SS and Urias is a 3rd.

Mateo has a pretty small sample size (73ABs) vs. Lefties.

Nearly twice as many ABs (135) vs. Righties.

I'd find it far more likely that the Leftie Rightie split favorables are attributable to his hot streak than to anything worth trying to exploit..  In any case:

Mateo has an OPS of .474 in the last 28 days

Mateo has an OPS of .381 in the last 14 days

Mateo has an OPS of .125 in the last 7 days

I don't think his problem is Rightie v Leftie.

I think the problem is that whatever way-out-of character magic he found early in the season is gone. Either scouts figured it out.. or he psyched himself out of it.

Cuz right now... he absolutely stinks with the bat.