The City Connect Uniforms

BraveOriole

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he had the interpersonal skills to hack it.

As for being analytical?

Maybe, but La Russa was known for being ahead of the curve as a young manager and he sure couldn't adjust to the modern game.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Earl was known for being fiery (obviously), but I've seen it written more than once he handled players differently. So it wasn't necessarily Earl going nuts on a player if he didn't think that player would respond well to being yelled at.

I wish, I could have been old enough to appreciate the Earl Weaver era. I think the bigger issue is in today's game Earl wouldn't have a deep bench to play platoon matchups that maximized the Orioles talent. Earl couldn't stash a Benny Ayala or a Jim Dwyer because those spots would be taken up by bullpen arms.

It would be interesting to see how Earl would adjust to today's game. I wouldn't bet against him.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Earl was known for being fiery (obviously), but I've seen it written more than once he handled players differently. So it wasn't necessarily Earl going nuts on a player if he didn't think that player would respond well to being yelled at.

I wish, I could have been old enough to appreciate the Earl Weaver era. I think the bigger issue is in today's game Earl wouldn't have a deep bench to play platoon matchups that maximized the Orioles talent. Earl couldn't stash a Benny Ayala or a Jim Dwyer because those spots would be taken up by bullpen arms.

It would be interesting to see how Earl would adjust to today's game. I wouldn't bet against him.

I don't think the animosity between Palmer and Weaver was an act but maybe I'm wrong.

I know Weaver bragged about how little he interacted with Frank and Brooks.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the animosity between Palmer and Weaver was an act but maybe I'm wrong.

I know Weaver bragged about how little he interacted with Frank and Brooks.

I'm not saying Earl's relationship with Palmer was an act, but at the same time Earl wasn't like that with every player.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

They have nothing to do with June.   We are going to wear them for every Friday home game the rest of the year.

Didn't say they had anything to do with June, just looks like those uni's belong in June. Its going to be hard for the O's to get excited to play in those uniforms; hopefully they aren't "O for" the rest of the Fridays

6 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We'll have to disagree.  Moreover, Paul Richards brought in the talent.

RIchards was only GM through '58 and Manager through '61.  He was a great baseball mind (small ball etc), he also formulated the "Orioles Way" and yes he signed Brooks but McPhail and Daulton had much more to do with player acquisition in Earl's formative years '66-'75 than Paul.  

Richards for all his innovation never made the Hall while Earl was the 13th manger inducted.  Their peers obviously thought much more of Earl then Paul.

Earl was a caricature of himself and he enjoyed playing that role.  He was a MLB manager at 37, navigating relationships with veterans like FRobinson, he knew much more about pitching than most think-witness his work with Dalkowski (sp) in the minors.  IMO he adjusted and adapted better than any other manager of his era and to think he couldn't do so in todays environment is shortsighted.  

Edited by SemperFi
  • Upvote 1

I can’t stand alternate uniforms in general.   This one because it is a marketing scheme for Nike to make money, but even the well intentioned ones like pink hats for Mothers’ Day or anything else that looks stupid.  About the only time I’m ok with it are throwbacks or the league wide  #42 for Jackie Robinson.

Edited by drdelaware