Mariners looking to trade pitching for hitting?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think our fans undervalue Urias. He’s a very solid infielder and not an automatic out. Plus he has some pop. He’s not more than solid but he’s only a spare part because we are stacked.

Gilbert is a difference maker. Why would the M’s be interested in trading a difference making young starting pitcher for one good outfielder, one “solid” infielder, and a pretty bad starting pitcher? How could they convince that they would be making out in that proposed deal?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sydnor said:

Who mentioned Kjerstad as one of three untouchables, and who were the others? I did a google search but didn’t find anything.

Meoli was interviewed on the air on 105.7 by Bruce. He said Holiday, Kjerstad, and Gray Rod. Obviously he’s a writer so it might be speculation.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Gilbert is a difference maker. Why would the M’s be interested in trading a difference making young starting pitcher for one good outfielder, one “solid” infielder, and a pretty bad starting pitcher? How could they convince that they would be making out in that proposed deal?

I’m not saying they would …. I’m just responding to the part of your post where you called Urias a spare part. 

Edited by Roll Tide

8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

On to the matter of Gilbert. I think the deal would be extremely painful. Maybe Hays (since he was in the mentioned deal), Ortiz, Norby, and Beavers. They could probably add in Urias if they wanted to clear him from the roster. Maybe they would accept Urias instead of Beavers if they are trying to win now. They are only a half dozen back. One caveat is that I Didn’t look at their roster or needs. Either way, I think fans will think the price was steep if a trade happens. I can’t believe he’s actually available. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander and Urias for Woo or Miller and Ty Adcock.

Would you do that? 

Nope, but It’s a good argument. It’s not enough of an upgrade to trade away Santander. Too much value in SH, stability, and Santa being able to DH more. He’s a proven 25 HR 90RBI bat. Kjerstad is great. Love that dude. Kjerstad will be up if there is an injury to any of Hays, Mullins, Cowser, Santa, and O’Hearn. 162 is a long season. Just because you don’t hand someone everyday PT from OD, doesn’t mean that they won’t play a lot during a 162 game season. Stuff happens. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What SP that will be available via trade next offseason is significantly better than Wells, Bradish, Kremer, Grayson, and Means?  I see us rolling with those 5 and then buying a rental come deadline time if need be. 

I tend to think this way.  More likely they trade for minor league pitchers. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I tend to think this way.  More likely they trade for minor league pitchers. 

We’ve made. Sit back and enjoy. 

Every contender is always going to look for relief help at the deadline and in the offseason. That’s a given. Most contenders will look to pick up a rental SP(like Giolito) at the deadline to put them over the top. 

The horses are here or in the system. Now it’s just time to win. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

On to the matter of Gilbert. I think the deal would be extremely painful. Maybe Hays (since he was in the mentioned deal), Ortiz, Norby, and Beavers. They could probably add in Urias if they wanted to clear him from the roster. Maybe they would accept Urias instead of Beavers if they are trying to win now. They are only a half dozen back. One caveat is that I Didn’t look at their roster or needs. Either way, I think fans will think the price was steep if a trade happens. I can’t believe he’s actually available. 

I’m not sure that the M’s would do that, but that sounds much more reasonable/rational.

13 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

They are going to give us their number 2 pitcher who has 3 1/2 years left of control for Hays and spare parts?

Would this be in a world that assumes their GM is brain dead or has lost grip of reality?

Nah, it would be in a world where they are lookin to upgrade their offense, and can do so with an All-Star in Hays and a second base upgrade in Urias over Wong.  At worst, Urias can platoon with Wong at second.  Both Hays and Urias still have some team control.  As I said, the Orioles could throw in others, such as Cole Irvin, who has tons of team control and the Mariners may be interested in taking a flyer on.

Brain dead? No?  Lost grip of reality? No.  But thanks for the comments!

23 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Nah, it would be in a world where they are lookin to upgrade their offense, and can do so with an All-Star in Hays and a second base upgrade in Urias over Wong.  At worst, Urias can platoon with Wong at second.  Both Hays and Urias still have some team control.  As I said, the Orioles could throw in others, such as Cole Irvin, who has tons of team control and the Mariners may be interested in taking a flyer on.

Brain dead? No?  Lost grip of reality? No.  But thanks for the comments!

Why would the Mariners be interested in replacing a very good, young starting pitcher with Cole Irvin?

We don’t have very good starting pitching and we don’t even want him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gilbert or Castillo, or Kirby would be wonderful to have. But I don’t think that the M’s are going to be interested in just giving any of them away, which is what IMO that proposed trade would be doing.

If I put myself in the Mariners’ shoes or was a Mariners’ fan, I would be horrified by such a trade.

Trade one of our best controllable young starter pitchers who has in general been an excellent #2, for a guy who has been injury prone throughout his career, and is having his first breakout/all-star season with only 2 seasons left, who in that breakout first half of the season has a BABIP over .380?

Urias is a league average hitter who you suggest may only be a platoon player for the M’s and Cole Irvin would be a significant downgrade to Gilbert, thus making their starting pitching much worse.

I can’t see the appeal for the M’s and why they wouldn’t want prospects from a loses system from ours for one of their best organizational assets.

I wasn’t calling you “braindead” or saying that “you have lost grip on reality”, just that they would almost have to be to accept such a one-sided/inequitable trade.

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would the Mariners be interested in replacing a very good, young starting pitcher with Cole Irvin?

We don’t have very good starting pitching and we don’t even want him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gilbert or Castillo, or Kirby would be wonderful to have. But I don’t think that the M’s are going to be interested in just giving any of them away, which is what IMO that proposed trade would be doing.

If I put myself in the Mariners’ shoes or was a Mariners’ fan, I would be horrified by such a trade.

Trade one of our best controllable young starter pitchers who has in general been an excellent #2, for a guy who has been injury prone throughout his career, and is having his first breakout/all-star season with only 2 seasons left, who in that breakout first half of the season has a BABIP over .380?

Urias is a league average hitter who you suggest may only be a platoon player for the M’s and Cole Irvin would be a significant downgrade to Gilbert, thus making their starting pitching much worse.

I can’t see the appeal for the M’s and why they wouldn’t want prospects from a loses system from ours for one of their best organizational assets.

I wasn’t calling you “braindead” or saying that “you have lost grip on reality”, just that they would almost have to be to accept such a one-sided/inequitable trade.

I mean, Dipoto loves to trade so maybe just the thought of a 3 for 1 would excite him?

In all seriousness, I see your points.  I think since the Mariners are competing, they might not be as interested in prospects, but perhaps a 10-15 prospect from the O's on top of Hays/Urias/Irvin would make it work.  One of many options the Orioles have, whether its the M's or another team.  Should be an interesting few weeks.