So who are the sellers right now?

Jagwar

4 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Actually I did.  How those numbers are weighted, particularly fielding numbers, is subjective.  As I understand it, there is more than one WAR.  

There are some decisions made when the formula is created that I guess could be considered subjective, the biggest of which is which defensive metric to use.  The offensive part is not really very subjective.  

16 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Actually I did.  How those numbers are weighted, particularly fielding numbers, is subjective.  As I understand it, there is more than one WAR.  

It's sure less objective than "My eyes tell me player A is better" which was the standard for decades.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's sure less objective than "My eyes tell me player A is better" which was the standard for decades.

I'm hardly contending it has no value.  I Just don't think it ends all arguments.  Some of it I'm dubious about.  But no one is going to sell me that Cowser can't miss because of his AAA WAR.  

However, it would be hard not being better than McKenna.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

We'll see both teams in the next couple weeks, but the Baseball Trade Values podcast folks this week had the take both the Rays and the Dodgers (and their strong farms) have had so many pitching injuries they too will be in the thick of it fighting it out for Giolito, Eduardo and anyone else important.

I wouldn't want to trade for either of those pitchers anyway. That would be a bad deal for us because they do nothing to improve our chances in the playoffs and I think our prospects are much more valuable when considering the careers they will have. Those 2 pitchers definitely are not any better than Bradish or Wells. E.Rodriguez had 6 weeks of an amazing hot streak, but he's done nothing since his injury and otherwise his career has been fairly pedestrian. Gioloto has a career ERA above 4.

2 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I'm hardly contending it has no value.  I Just don't think it ends all arguments.  Some of it I'm dubious about.  But no one is going to sell me that Cowser can't miss because of his AAA WAR.  

There’s no such thing as AAA WAR, or at least, no public source calculates such a number.  Anyone who thinks that Cowser will be a better player then Santander is doing it based on a guess as to how Cowser will do offensively and defensively in the majors.   

On 7/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, HakunaSakata said:

No. Unless they completely stumble in the second half the Orioles should be buyers not sellers as they look to bolster their team for a playoff run. I don't seem them dealing the veterans (Santander, Mountcastle, etc.) until the offseason and even then only if they're confident in turning things over to a younger player who they deem ready. 

what is your plan for putting more players on the 40 man and 26 man rosters?

The way I see it -

The A's, Rockies, Royals, and Nats are out of it. They should be sellers. The next tier to give up are the White Sox, Pirates, Cardinals. And then depending on how the next few weeks go, the Tigers, Mets, Padres, Cubs, and Angels could join.

These are names that interest me for the O's, IMO:

A's - Blackburn would be a nice addition if he continues to pitch well coming off injury. Sears would be good too if they would part with him. Pruitt seems like a decent BP option.

Rockies - Gomber for SP? Bard would be a good late BP arm. Lawrence and Byrd are possible for BP.

Royals - Singer & Lynch SP options. Barlow for BP. Possibly Yarbrough, he's not having a good year but knows the AL East and would be cheap.

Nats - I don't see them giving up Gray or Gore but they might listen. Corbin & Williams aren't bad SP options.

White Sox - Caese & Giolito. Even Kopech and Clevinger are good options if they are able to come back healthy. Lynn could bounce back. Middleton for BP.

I'm not going to list everyone for the other 7 teams I mentioned but there are obviously interesting names to be had should they sell. Ed Rod, Skubal*, Lorenzen, Keller*, Montgomery, Hicks, Stroman, Wacha, etc. I'd even ask about Goldschmidt if we could move Mount in a package. Skubal and Keller would take a lot if they'd even move them.

The Padres and Mets have to be very close to on this list now.  Both lost series this weekend and now are at least 8 games back in the loss column of the top 4 teams in competition for wild card with two more teams in between that.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The Padres and Mets have to be very close to on this list now.  Both lost series this weekend and now are at least 8 games back in the loss column of the top 4 teams in competition for wild card with two more teams in between that.  

If DJ Stewart can’t right the ship, all hope is lost. 

• Haha 1

I could see the Padres taking a “buying and selling” strategy where they are more focused on retooling for 2024 but also don’t want to throw in the towel on 2023, so they sell Snell/Hader for guys to reshape their 2023 team that will still be under contract in 2024. Santander for instance is a great fit for them under that approach as they are weak at DH/1B and he’s under control another season. 

Santander for Snell or Hader? Or Santander + for both? I could even see them having some degree of interest in Irvin, and definitely Kremer, as controllable back-end SP that fit well as flyball pitchers in their stadium.