Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Eduardo Rodriguez is a guy with a career ERA of over 4+ and a FIP about the same, coming off of injury where he's been up and down in performance since he came back from injury. Stay away. Buyer beware.

There's also the fact that the Orioles traded him away before. No way I see them trading to get him back, especially with the amount of money he's already making.

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Eduardo Rodriguez is a guy with a career ERA of over 4+ and a FIP about the same, coming off of injury where he's been up and down in performance since he came back from injury. Stay away. Buyer beware.

There's also the fact that the Orioles traded him away before. No way I see them trading to get him back, especially with the amount of money he's already making.

Trying to be a bit deceptive? 

He's got a career ERA of 4.04 an ERA+ of 111 and a FIP of 3.84.

I think the fact that he was traded away nearly a decade ago by a different front office is a non-factor.

• Upvote 1

Eduardo Rodriguez’s 2.70 ERA this year is below his peripherals and the recent injury is something to consider, but he’s got a 3.27 FIP and 3.48 xERA this year and mid-3s FIP and xERA in each of 2018, 2019 and 2021. He didn’t pitch in 2020 and last year did not do well, but had apparently had personal issues going on that took him away from the team last year for an extended period. The way he’s performed this year gives some assurance those are behind him. He’s not an “ace” or TOR but if he’s healthy he’s a very solid SP that is well above average. The recent injury and his 2022 season should be priced into his trade value as well. 

Cease is someone that most O's fans would be excited to deal for.  Naturally, the return would have to be enticing enough for the White Sox, and it's quite unlikely it would work out.  However, if we were to speculate on what that deal would look like, I'd venture it'd be something like:

• SP Cease [FA 2026] and RP Keynan Middleton [FA 2024] to the O's
  • OF Cowser, SS/2B Ortiz, CA Willems, and SP McDermott.

Again, not expecting Cease to be dealt OR Elias trading Cowser.  This is just what I think it might take.

What would you adjust, or just your thoughts in general?

Edited by Greg Pappas

25 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cease is someone that most O's fans would be excited to deal for.  Naturally, the return would have to be enticing enough for the White Sox, and it's quite unlikely it would work out.  However, if we were to speculate on what that deal would look like, I'd venture it'd be something like:

• SP Cease and RP Keynan Middleton to the O's
  • OF Cowser, SS/2B Ortiz, and CA Willems, and SP McDermott.

Again, not expecting Cease to be dealt OR Elias trading Cowser.  This is just what I think it might take.

I'd consider this deal.   You get Cease through 2025.  Middleton is a free agent after this year, I believe. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Instead of EROD what would it take for Tarik Skubal coming back from an injury. 

Why would the Tigers trade a 26 year old LHP who's under contract for three more seasons? When teams sell, they sell their older short term pieces not their building blocks. 

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

• SP Cease [FA 2026] and RP Keynan Middleton [FA 2024] to the O's
  • OF Cowser, SS/2B Ortiz, CA Willems, and SP McDermott.

I just don't understand why the Sox would trade Cease. Not when they have older more obvious trade pieces like Lynn, Giolito and T. Anderson to trade away to restock their farm system. As desperate as teams are for starting pitching this season I think we're going to be amazed what they get for Lynn and Giolito. 

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I just don't understand why the Sox would trade Cease. Not when they have older more obvious trade pieces like Lynn, Giolito and T. Anderson to trade away to restock their farm system. As desperate as teams are for starting pitching this season I think we're going to be amazed what they get for Lynn and Giolito. 

I agree with you that it's unlikely and said it was unlikely in the post.  I was posting in response to the rumor about the Astros interest in trading for Cease. I wouldn't deal him if I were them, but I also wouldn't offer more than what I posted on our side.  Unlikely, even highly unlikely, isn't impossible though. 

O'Hearn has been a nice story, but I'm calling the Cardinals about Goldschmidt (and their pitching) even though there have been indications the Cards won't deal him. If they really are rebuilding then Goldschmidt isna player the Cardinals shouldn't be married to as he'll be 36 years old in September.

Of course who am I kidding the Angelos brothers won't pick up his contract that runs through 2024.