Which come first? The draft signings or the culling of the herd?

CHIP

.Total potential without any changes and 100% signing is 22 new players into our pipeline.  Elias took 2 outfielders with his first two picks yesterday.  We have 19 more picks to make

Likely not to bury them all in Florida to start.  So... who is in line to go?  

Based on the high level and $ spent... I think if I was an older outfielder at Bowie or below...  I would not want to be getting called into the managers office.

My thought for release?  Zach Watson.  3rd Rd Pick in 2019.  26 years old and stuck for 3rd year in Bowie and numbers are not getting any better.   

21 minutes ago, CHIP said:

.Total potential without any changes and 100% signing is 22 new players into our pipeline.  Elias took 2 outfielders with his first two picks yesterday.  We have 19 more picks to make

Likely not to bury them all in Florida to start.  So... who is in line to go?  

Based on the high level and $ spent... I think if I was an older outfielder at Bowie or below...  I would not want to be getting called into the managers office.

My thought for release?  Zach Watson.  3rd Rd Pick in 2019.  26 years old and stuck for 3rd year in Bowie and numbers are not getting any better.   

The new guys are going to filter to Delmarva or Aberdeen.    Luis Valdez is a poor man’s Enrique Bradfield.   Could spell trouble.   Guys like Trendon Craig, Doug Hodo, Isaac DeLeon, Stiven Acevedo, will be affected in one way or another.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The new guys are going to filter to Delmarva or Aberdeen.    Luis Valdez is a poor man’s Enrique Bradfield.   Could spell trouble.   Guys like Trendon Craig, Doug Hodo, Isaac DeLeon, Stiven Acevedo, will be affected in one way or another.

I've gotta head out and buy a power ball ticket or two...  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of these things is not like the other.  

1. Rutschman

2. Henderson 

2S. Stowers

3. Watson

4. Ortiz

Great draft my Elias there, but unfortunately, Zach was a miss. 

Don't forget 5. Darell Hernaiz

Great draft, no shame in hitting on 5 of your top 6 picks.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Don't forget 5. Darell Hernaiz

Great draft, no shame in hitting on 5 of your top 6 picks.

I didn’t forget him, I just decided to stick with guys who’d already made it to the majors.   I do think Hernaiz will join that list next year.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t forget him, I just decided to stick with guys who’d already made it to the majors.   I do think Hernaiz will join that list next year.  

Gotcha. I just figured the Orioles could close the book on Hernaiz now, given that they have already gotten whatever value they are going to get from him.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

CHIP is ROCH….always thought something was up…

Two easy ways to know this is not true, 1) More people laugh at my humor than just myself & 2) I like Stanford Baseball and as such like Maverick Handley and don't forget he exists in the system.  Obviously 2 is only if 1 isn't enough.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

One of these things is not like the other.  

1. Rutschman

2. Henderson 

2S. Stowers

3. Watson

4. Ortiz

Great draft my Elias there, but unfortunately, Zach was a miss. 

The development of Ortiz over COVID is really the story there. Outside of Ortiz, Elias/Ciolek have really struggled to find college hitting prospects after the 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The development of Ortiz over COVID is really the story there. Outside of Ortiz, Elias/Ciolek have really struggled to find college hitting prospects after the 2nd round.

A fairly limited sample size, given that in 2019 they only drafted two other college hitters with $20,000+ bonuses in rounds 3-10 (Handley and Daschbach) and in 2020 they drafted one college hitter after the second round (Servideo). I would like to see more from Rhodes, Williams and Burns (the 2021 crew) and Ardoin, Hodo, and Crampton (the 2022 crew), but getting one top 100 prospect and nothing else out of 10 college players selected in round 3 or later is probably better than most teams do.

Edited by MurphDogg

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

A fairly limited sample size, given that in 2019 they only drafted two other college hitters with $20,000+ bonuses in rounds 3-10 (Handley and Daschbach) and in 2020 they drafted one college hitter after the second round (Servideo). I would like to see more from Rhodes, Williams and Burns (the 2021 crew) and Ardoin, Hodo, and Crampton (the 2022 crew), but getting one top 100 prospect and nothing else out of 10 college players selected in round 3 or later is probably better than most teams do.

What in my statement was wrong? Do you believe any of the guys you mentioned are going to become everyday major league players? 

I stand by my statement. Outside of Ortiz, Elias/Ciolek have struggled to find good college hitters after the 2nd round. I didn't say they lack the ability to find them or they are terrible at that, I just provided an actual fact. Now you can say the book has not been written on the that guys you mentioned and you are right, but my statement as written is correct as of this date. 

My main point is prefer they go with pitchers or high school hitters with some upside but a greater risk of flaming out vs guys with limited upside to begin with like most of the guys you mentioned.