Thoughts on deep playoff run?

Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Wonder how many of them they will regret giving the contract extensions to?

None.  It's just money right? 

A bad contract doesn't impact their ability to spend money.

Right?

😉

I think that overall they are going to come out well ahead with the strategy they are employing.

Is the prevailing wisdom still that the postseason is just an utter crapshoot with no rhyme or reason beyond a team just happens to get hot at the right time (with there being no real way to build a team for this hotness)?

I’m old enough to remember when that was the prevailing sentiment around here (back when the playoffs were the furthest thing we could hope to achieve).  It mostly revolved around arguments on Billy Beane and the A’s lack of success in the postseason (which, oddly, never got better) and how there was nothing he could do to build his teams to better perform in the postseason. 

Not being contentious, genuinely curious how people feel now 16 some odd years later!

Edited by Orioles Jim

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Are the numbers in front of each player, the year that they will be a free agent?

Also the no no that Javier threw last year couldn't have resulted in the type of cheating that they were previously proven to participate in and benefit from.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There was an element of luck in every single year. That is always the case in every sport, every year.

WOW! By that logic Tom Brady and Michael Jordan are some of the "luckiest" sons of a gun that this planet has ever known. I guess Jeter and the Yanks from 96- 00 were very "lucky" too?

Well if that is the case, where can I get some of that "luck" from? The Powerball is up to what 800+ million...lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Wasn't it alleged and maybe even proven that others like the Yankees and Red Sox were cheating too?

Kinda.

The official story is a bunch of teams were cheating in a specific fashion, MLB told them to stop and the Astros didn't.

How much of that I believe....

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

None.  It's just money right? 

A bad contract doesn't impact their ability to spend money.

Right?

😉

I think that overall they are going to come out well ahead with the strategy they are employing.

It won’t effect them doing anything..but that doesn’t mean you just want to throw the money away either.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

WOW! By that logic Tom Brady and Michael Jordan are some of the "luckiest" sons of a gun that this planet has ever known. I guess Jeter and the Yanks from 96- 00 were very "lucky" too?

Well if that is the case, where can I get some of that "luck" from? The Powerball is up to what 800+ million...lol

Your ability to read and comprehend it is astoundingly awful.

• Upvote 1

The playoffs are always a crapshoot and a lot depends on who the hot team(s) is/are.  However, I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we had an ace.  I also think we need another dependable bullpen arm.  Right now you'd really only trust Bautista, Cano, and Coulombe in a playoff series.  Maybe Baker if he's right.  

3 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

Is the prevailing wisdom still that the postseason is just an utter crapshoot with no rhyme or reason beyond a team just happens to get hot at the right time (with there being no real way to build a team for this hotness)?

I’m old enough to remember when that was the prevailing sentiment around here (back when the playoffs were the furthest thing we could hope to achieve).  It mostly revolved around arguments on Billy Beane and the A’s lack of success in the postseason (which, oddly, never got better) and how there was nothing he could do to build his teams to better perform in the postseason. 

Not being contentious, genuinely curious how people feel now 16 some odd years later!

It's not an utter crapshoot.

But luck is certainly a factor.

Look at the Phillies last year or the Nats a few years ago.  The Royals last decade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It won’t effect them doing anything..but that doesn’t mean you just want to throw the money away either.

I think the moves they made have positively impacted their incoming cash flow to an extent that it will compensate for any fall off from the players they extended.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the moves they made have positively impacted their incoming cash flow to an extent that it will compensate for any fall off from the players they extended.

Huh?  Are you saying they have made extra cash flow because they signed them to extensions?