O's pitching in July has been Marvelous

wildcard

It’s probably not a coincidence that the three teams we’ve played are 18th, 21st and 23rd in MLB in runs/game.   Still, a 2.88 ERA is very good no matter who the opponents were.  Hopefully the O’s will continue to do well against a much tougher Dodgers lineup that is 3rd in runs/game.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s probably not a coincidence that the three teams we’ve played are 18th, 21st and 23rd in MLB in runs/game.   Still, a 2.88 ERA is very good no matter who the opponents were.  Hopefully the O’s will continue to do well against a much tougher Dodgers lineup that is 3rd in runs/game.   

The Dodgers should be a real test for sure. I'm a little surprised they basically are throwing Rodriquez to the wolves right off the bat, but I guess we'll see if he improved. 

Overall though, the Orioles starters have pitched very well but that bullpen outside of Bautista and Cano for the most part can be game to game sketchy. They really need a 3rd shutdown guy out there. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Was hoping Hall could be part of the solution there.  WTH is going on there?

Your guess is as good as mine. He's disappeared off the face of the baseball earth since going to the Florida complex for a reset. I was hoping he'd be that guy in the second half myself when the season started. But instead of getting him ready by having him relieve, they used him as a starter and his velocity never showed back up. 

14 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

My take is Mike knows we need another starter down the stretch. They're throwing Grayson to the wolves in July to see if he can be that guy before the trade deadline. If he flounders, we'll make a trade for someone like Stroman. If Grayson looks dominant, they'll just trade for a reliever. 

Yeah, that's a pretty good take. I do this this July is Rodriguez's last shot this year of being a guy for them this year as a starter.

33 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

My take is Mike knows we need another starter down the stretch. They're throwing Grayson to the wolves in July to see if he can be that guy before the trade deadline. If he flounders, we'll make a trade for someone like Stroman. If Grayson looks dominant, they'll just trade for a reliever. 

I totally agree with your take. Same thing was running through my thoughts a few hours ago. Throwing Grayson to the wolves is figuring out what we've got before we run out of time to make a move. It's a data gathering mission.

(I also have warmed up to Stroman and I now believe that he can be a difference maker, unlike some of the other names on the list of pitchers available.)

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The Dodgers should be a real test for sure. I'm a little surprised they basically are throwing Rodriquez to the wolves right off the bat, but I guess we'll see if he improved. 

<<Insert Austin Powers living dangerously meme here>>

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

A vote of confidence against an opponent where a TOR is needed?  Don't mind if I do!

I like the call.  Everyone knows LAD is strong.  If he's not a stud in this outing, then no harm developmentally.  If he is...  Bonus!

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Just a very strange situation.  Grayson in the rotation and DL in the bullpen could give the pitching staff a big boost.

Some prospects never make it. Some break. DL Hall isn't totally out of the picture, yet, but he's proof that just because someone's highly touted does not automatically mean they will be a key player.

IMO the O's will need another starter anyway regardless of GrayRod's performance.  Gibson is trending the wrong way and Irvin in the bullpen makes sense.  Also innings limits and fatigue is going to start being felt toward the end of August.

Rodriguez is lined up to face the Dodgers, Rays and Yankees before the deadline; fairly tough teams, so I wonder what would constitute failure?  Unless he is truly horrible, I think he'll get the remainder of his 2023 ration of innings at the ML level anyway.