Monday July 17: Dodgers in town for 3

SteveA

Just now, Alasdaire said:

At the expense of having a better chance next year and the year after and the year after?

I didn’t say I would give the farm up to do that. I like where we are right now. Clearly I think one thing we can all agree on is a deeper pen. I think Elias can handle that and not have to give up a ton. 

• Upvote 1

The challenge with this team is they are still so young and inexperienced.  Tough call on what and where you add.  Can’t depend on  Cowser and Westburg being difference makers this year.  Adley and Gunnar are still WIP but miles ahead of all other up and coming players. 

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Baker pitched yesterday and has been discussed ad nauseam,  Baker is not good back to back games. But who else is Hyde supposed to run out there when middle relief is garbage? And what happened to Irvin? Wasn't he middle relief behind Grod tonight??

Good point, should of just had Irvin start the 6th

3 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

What's a 17th round pick reliever with a 5+ ERA doing pitching for the LA Dodgers, the richest and spendiest team in baseball? No clue what Almonte is doing in that uniform. Maybe he would be suitable for the Royals or the A's this year, but the Dodgers, I can't see it.

I dunno… made short work of us. And made Urias look silly with that pitch a foot outside .

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I didn’t say I would give the farm up to do that. I like where we are right now. Clearly I think one thing we can all agree on is a deeper pen. I think Elias can handle that and not have to give up a ton. 

I can agree with that. I would be fine with putting together a modest package for another arm out of the pen.

I'm more getting at the talk of trading for an "ace" who we lose after this year/next and benching/sending down rookies. Penny wise, pound foolish.

It's not even just that the Dodgers scored four runs in an inning, it's the way they did it. Their 7-8 hitters are decorated players who came in cool as cucumbers, took what they were given, and swatted Baker's absolute best stuff aside. Only a handful of teams can do that, but those are the teams you have to get past if you're going to go for it this year.

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Cowser's lack of a bat is hurting.  We need him to get going. 

This is the problem I have with bringing up prospects to play every day.. we cannot afford to have the  adjustment period till he figures something out.  

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I can agree with that. I would be fine with putting together a modest package for another arm out of the pen.

I'm more getting at the talk of trading for an "ace" who we lose after this year/next and benching/sending down rookies. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I just don’t know who is available who meets that criteria. I would like a Giolito maybe a Snell but doubt the cost will be worth it for the level of improvement. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

This is the problem I have with bringing up prospects to play every day.. we cannot afford to have the  adjustment period till he figures something out.  

Many prospects dont have an adjustment period. They just bust.