What is your realistic best case trade deadline outcome?

Sports Guy

In Greg’s thread, he is asking what are your expectations.

Im asking, based off of what we know or what could be possible in terms of players available, what is your realistic best case scenario for this deadline?

For me, adding a high end back end reliever and a starter (perhaps from Seattle or Miami) with long term upside and service time would be pretty ideal.

Edited by Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to What is your realistic best case trade deadline outcome?

Add a high end starter with either Ortiz or Westburg as the headliner and not including Mayo, Kjerstad or Basallo. Would be achieved with 3-4 additional high-end quantity like Hall, Norby, Prieto, Povich, Beavers, Wagner, Rhodes, Willems and Fabian. Probably Rom as a 4th/5th (maybe even 6th?) piece too. 

Add one more very capable BP arm in addition to the above.

Realistic best case is we look up and say "damn, we did pretty good and we didn't give up more than 2 top-100 guys". I think it's possible. 

The team doesn't need to go crazy at the deadline. A true backend reliever and a starter capable of supplanting Gibson or Kremer. So like, a #3 starter. 

I would say back-end reliever plus #3 starter would actually exceed my expectations for this deadline because I always expect Elias to play it safer than I want him to. Dreams of an ace acquisition I think are unrealistic. I think Elias is going to hope for a boost from Grayson and Means, but he's going to hedge his bets a little with a lower-upside SP to guard against injury/ineffectiveness down the stretch. 

Edited by interloper

I'm not saying this is realistic, but I think this is what I'd do in this situation if I was trying to win this year.

Stroman(rest of 2023 salary absorbed) for Basallo+Johnson

David Robertson(rest of 2023 salary absorbed) for Povich

Andres Munoz (dominant reliever with 2 years of control) for Ortiz/Norby +another. 

None of Mayo, Westburg or Kjerstad touched. An absolutely dominant bullpen this year. A significant SP upgrade as well. 

I'm thinking that Elias will trade for one of the lesser valued starters.  Not sure who that would be.  Maybe Montgomery?  I would like to get the Snell/Hader package because I think it's just what the O's need.  Padres could be asking for 2 top 100 prospects, imo.  Also, the O's will get one of the better relievers, at least a solid setup guy.  So, Montgomery plus solid setup guy.  O's, imo will try to trade guys in 10-15 prospect range.  It will take a controlled talent to pry away one of the top 6 guys.

If we aren't acquiring a starter that is clearly better than Gibson/Kremer, then I don't see the point.  

So the realistic best case scenario for me is adding one dominant bullpen arm (cost shouldn't be too severe) and one good/reliable starter (may take a top ten prospect and another in the top 15).  Doesn't need to be a TOR, but maybe a no. 2 type. 

11 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I'm not saying this is realistic, but I think this is what I'd do in this situation if I was trying to win this year.

Stroman(rest of 2023 salary absorbed) for Basallo+Johnson

David Robertson(rest of 2023 salary absorbed) for Povich

Andres Munoz (dominant reliever with 2 years of control) for Ortiz/Norby +another. 

None of Mayo, Westburg or Kjerstad touched. An absolutely dominant bullpen this year. A significant SP upgrade as well. 

You are giving up a ton in these trades.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I like Ed Rod, but I think this trade would be blocked by ownership.  No way is Angelos allowing a trade that could add $15-18 mill to payroll for years.

Yeah that's actually fair. In my heart I know Elias will target someone much more under-the-radar than E-Rod or Giolito or Stroman anyway. And that's fine as long as it works. 

Edited by interloper

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In Greg’s thread, he is asking what are your expectations.

Im asking, based off of what we know or what could be possible in terms of players available, what is your realistic best case scenario for this deadline?

For me, adding a high end back end reliever and a starter (perhaps from Seattle or Miami) with long term upside and service time would be pretty ideal.

Add to mine that at least one Mateo or Frazier is dealt off the team.