Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What "type" of FA was Wiggington? Do we have to give a pick up? Also, can't wait to see who drops off the 40 man roster.

No pun intended, but this came out of left field!! Luke Scott

He was non-tendered (had a year left in arbitration) and therefore we didn't have to give up a pick. It's really interesting - less than 2 months ago, people thought he wanted a 2 year deal worth more than Casey Blake's contract - i.e. 2 years, more than $5 million per year. This is really a good low-risk deal IMO - at worst you get a cheap bench player, at best you get a cheap starting caliber player. :)

I hope it is Freel. That gives Luke Scott more playing time in the OF and gives Reimold a better chance to make it in Baltimore at some point.

It'd also give Lou Montanez a shot at making the team. Perhaps they trade Freel for a backup middle infielder.

Honestly, I think it'll be more of a three man split for 3B and DH. Mora needs the rest, and Scott and Wigginton have big splits. Scott will also be the backup anytime an outfielder sits (if Jones is sitting, Pie will play CF). And Wigginton will also play 1B on occasion.

IMO, Huff earned a place in the line-up every day to begin the season based on last seasons performance. If he can hit close to what he did last year, it would be ridiculous to have him part of even a four person platoon.

Going into ST, 3B and one of 1B/DH should be completely up for grabs.

Scott has issues moving into a DH role, much less the bench. You're spot on IMO - he's not going to the bench unless it comes with a free IRA membership and a box of slugs....

He wants to play in the field; that's not a bad thing.

This is what I get for actually "working" this morning! :laughlol:

That leaves Montanez, Salazar, Reimold, and others without even a CHANCE of making this team. That seems a bit odd considering 11 straight losing seasons, but where is the competition? I see none anywhere????

Maybe the signing of Wigginton reveals what the O's think of Montanez, Salazar, and Reimold. All three (especially the first two) have defensive liabilities. Salazar is almost the same age (30 vs 31) as Wigginton and less versatile and proven. Perhaps AM has decided they are not the long term answer and has signed Wigginton to bridge the gap until the long term answers arrive via trade, FA, or MiL.

I actually like the signing if it means 12 pictures and a bench of BU catcher, Gomez, Freel, and Wiggington.

[/b]

Maybe the signing of Wiggington reveals what the O's think of Montanez, Salazar, and Reimold. All three (especially the first two) have defensive liabilities. Salazar is almost the same age (30 vs 31) as Wigginton and less versatile and proven. Perhaps AM has decided they are not the long term answer and has signed Wiggington to bridge the gap until the long term answers arrive via trade, FA, or MiL.

I actually like the signing if it means 12 pictures and a bench of BU catcher, Gomez, Freel, and Wiggington.

I don't think anyone has given up on Reimold; on the contrary, I think we as fans overrate his major league readiness. I think he could use 200-300 at bats as a regular starter in AAA - if he does well, then maybe he forces his way into the ML team (especially if Pie doesn't do well or we have an injury in the outfield).

You really think we'll get a team to pick up his $5 mil contract AND give us a player? We'll be fortunate to pull a Bradford here.

He's got a $4 mil contract. It would depend on the salary of the player they'd get back, but the O's would likely split the difference in salaries.

My 2 cents.

I don't think that there's a "need" to trade away any of our position players. A bench of Freel, Wigginton, Gomez and Zaun (once Wieters is promoted) will be the best bench we have had in years. It has a mix of speed with Freel, power with Wigginton, the ability to play defense at every position on the field with all four, and a switch hitting backup catcher in Zaun.

Wigginton is the perfect right handed complement to Scott at DH, who the Orioles pretty obviously see as a platoon lefty, and can also give Mora and Huff a break from playing every day. Wigginton has no impact on Scott's playing time in LF - or on Reimold's or Montanez's either, for that matter. That honor goes to Felix Pie, who I still think this team intends to play full-time in LF.

Wigginton could make Scott more expendable, but I don't think it means that AM wants to move him. Just means if he got a can't turn it down offer, he now has an in-house alternative to DH. But, keep in mind, Wigginton hits lefties far better than righties, so I doubt AM feels pushed to move Scott.

Freel could make Roberts more expendable, but the same argument used above applies.

So, I think that many here are reading far too much into this signing. It probably is what it looks like on the surface, the signing of a quality bench player at a reasonable price and for a reasonable period of time.

Of course, that just means that AM will trade everyone by Friday just to prove me wrong.;)

Guest BrettMeister86

On the official Orioles site on the forum someone brought up a very smart idea...

Freel and Wigginton are essentially interchangeable, could Andy be setting up a trade to provide a contending team a stop gap + a good prospect.

For example, 2B Ryan Freel + full or partial salary (stop gap for Utley's injury) and SP David Hernandez to Philly for SS Jason Donald.

Makes a LOT of sense doesnt it?

Archived