Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

I can't say I understand this deal... Wiggy isn't a bad player, but he's not that good. And I'd hate to think that AM wants Wiggy and Izturis to be the starting left side of the IF for 2010. That's kind of... well... crappy. I don't know if Wiggy's bat will make up for what we lost in Millar's glove and leadership. Actually, I seriously doubt it. Neither Ty nor Millar were good fits for this team for the next two years, so I'm not sure why we did this. I suppose Wiggy has a bit of versatility being able to play both CI spots and DH from time to time. Not a fan of this move.

EDIT: I want to clarify that I don't like this signing because I'm weary of what AM can get back for a few players that I like more than TW. I know our lineup is totally LH dominant, and it's nice to have a decent RH hitter with some real pop, but I hate having so many redundant players again. To an extent, many of these players have a lot in common:

Mora

Wigginton

Huff

Scott

Reimold

Montanez

Freel

Gomez

Pie

I know that between these guys, they can play just about every position on the field other than catcher, but we're starting to have a logjam of mediocre talent. I like Pie, and I think he's got a real shot at making it off this list and onto the list of solid, everyday players, but unless we're going to have a really expensive (but quite good) AAA team in Norfolk, we need to get rid of a bunch of these guys. Like I said, I just have to be skeptical about what we can get by putting together a nice, neat bundle of garbage.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Splitting one position among 2 people makes it tough on players.

But, thats not what we're going to be doing next year. We'll be splitting 4 positions, LF, 1B, 3B, and DH, amongst 5 people, Pie, Huff, Mora, Scott, and Wigginton. You could even add Freel, Roberts and 2B into this equation. Or CF considering that is where Pie will play when Jones gets a day off.

There is a ton of flexibility on this roster.

Agree with this 100%. This isn't an either or for Wigginton and Scott, it encompasses several players. If used correctly all these guys could get plenty ABs.

Maybe there are more moves to come, but I really like the flexibility that this team has. I also like that this makes it look (barring another trade) that this will be a 12 man staff.

I can't say I understand this deal... Wiggy isn't a bad player, but he's not that good. And I'd hate to think that AM wants Wiggy and Izturis to be the starting left side of the IF for 2010. That's kind of... well... crappy. I don't know if Wiggy's bat will make up for what we lost in Millar's glove and leadership. Actually, I seriously doubt it. Neither Ty nor Millar were good fits for this team for the next two years, so I'm not sure why we did this. I suppose Wiggy has a bit of versatility being able to play both CI spots and DH from time to time. Not a fan of this move.

Nah, I think the plan is to alternate the trio of Huff/Scott/Wiggy at 1B/DH and provide a few more days off for Mora - as well as 3B insurance. But I doubt Wiggy is going to be considered a likely 3B starter next season. If anything, this just gives them more flexibility - and that's a positive.

Montanez, Reimold, and Salazar have to be looking at our roster and thinking that no matter what they do in Norfolk, it is going to take an injury for them to make the team. I think this is a great opportunity to let Reimold and Montanez learn first base.

Nah, I think the plan is to alternate the trio of Huff/Scott/Wiggy at 1B/DH and provide a few more days off for Mora - as well as 3B insurance. But I doubt Wiggy is going to be considered a likely 3B starter next season. If anything, this just gives them more flexibility - and that's a positive.

Right...I doubt the Orioles signed Wigginton with the thought of him starting at third next year.

He was brought in as a useful player that can play multiple positions, hit lefties well and provide the roster with more depth and flexibility.

Montanez, Reimold, and Salazar have to be looking at our roster and thinking that no matter what they do in Norfolk, it is going to take an injury for them to make the team. I think this is a great opportunity to let Reimold and Montanez learn first base.

The Wigginton signing doesn't block Reimold or Montanez any more than they were already. It makes it harder for them to crack the 25-man roster, but they weren't going to do that out of ST anyway. I think it's good to have guys like these in the system in case of injuries.

Splitting one position among 2 people makes it tough on players.

But, thats not what we're going to be doing next year. We'll be splitting 4 positions, LF, 1B, 3B, and DH, amongst 5 people, Pie, Huff, Mora, Scott, and Wigginton. You could even add Freel, Roberts and 2B into this equation. Or CF considering that is where Pie will play when Jones gets a day off.

There is a ton of flexibility on this roster.

This is exactly right. It's pretty exciting. For all of our critiques of DT's roster management last year, he didn't have a whole lot to work with. Now he does. If he uses these guys correctly, he could really maximize our production.

What I particularly like is the way we've identified guys who offer specific (or one-dimensional) value - but legitimate value - and purchased them at far below market prices.

Hendrickson (who has good numbers out of the pen) and Wigginton, in particular.

Wiggy and Freel are going to be the DH and LF, respectively, on opening day against Sabathia and that is the way it should be. Scott and Pie are very suspect against left handers (Pie especially) and this roster now has the flexibility to substitute solid right handed hitters to combat this weakness.

I don't see this being a precursor to any other move but added flexibility and power to our bench.

Well, you can question how much we've really improved, but you can't question the amount of activity and moves the O's have made. There's going to be A LOT of turnover from the roster last season to this.

Does seem to be a bit of a roster crunch now though. Motanez and Salazar are basically out of the picture now. Seems like the choice will come down to keeping Gomez or Murphy on the bench or keeping an extra arm like Pauley or Penn in the pen.

This idea of a flexible bench doesn't jibe with the probability that they'll carry 12-13 pitchers. There won't be room for much of a bench, and I think that pitching is going to be number one. Therefore, you are going to see at least one more move. Either Huff or Scott, plus maybe Reimold, are gone.

At first, I'm not sure if I like this signing. Not because of Ty Wigginton, he's a solid player but not sure how much better he would be than Luke Scott. Everyone has brought a lot of good points, Pie not getting as much playing time as expected, Scott may be traded etc.

Let's say the O's use a platoon of LF of Scott and Pie, with Scott and Wigginton sharing DH duties as well, I could see this working but it still doesn’t make too much sense, Wigginton would see time at 1st and 3rd, someone else has to be moved or this could be very dangerous to the clubhouse. If I was asked who would you trade if you had Scott, Huff, Wigginton, I have to choose Wigginton - Huff had a great year last year, are we forgetting that? what's not to say he can't do it again and sign him to a contract extension, Scott has been training very hard this offseason (aware this doesn't necessarily translate to results) but I expect a very good season by Luke, you know what you're going to get from Wigginton, solid but not spectacular, don't the O's have that with Luke Scott?

Going into next year with Mora, Huff, Pie, Scott, Wigginton and 4 positions available including DH, I could see all these players except for Pie getting very grumpy and upset having to platoon along with a very negative mindset being brought to the ballpark meaning players will be underperforming. One player too much could end up destroying the chemistry of the rest of the team. Yes, it’s not the players’ choice of when they play but you have to put a good team on the field instead of a team where everyday players don’t know where they’re going to be playing. It sounds as if there will be another trade, and I don’t want to see Huff or Scott traded, but for the benefit of the team, I guess it has to be done. Unfortunately, if Wigginton was never signed in the first place, the O’s wouldn’t have this problem right now.

It's almost as if MacPhail is reading the board and making moves based on what he's reading off here.

Better be careful, guys. Some might get overinflated opinions of yourselves and might start to think that you too can be a MLB GM:thumbsup1:

To Quote, Mr. Brian Billick. " Ladies and Gentlemen, with all due respect, you are not Qualified." This includes those of you who think you are.:)

Archived