Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

On the official Orioles site on the forum someone brought up a very smart idea...

Freel and Wigginton are essentially interchangeable, could Andy be setting up a trade to provide a contending team a stop gap + a good prospect.

For example, 2B Ryan Freel + full or partial salary (stop gap for Utley's injury) and SP David Hernandez to Philly for SS Jason Donald.

Makes a LOT of sense doesnt it?

I think you can cross Philly off. Last I heard, Utley is on schedule to be ready by OD, and just in case he isn't, they signed Marcus Giles to a MiL deal I believe.

I think Freel has more value as an OF, and he's a pretty good CF from what I've heard. So, what teams are looking for a CF that has speed?

White Sox seem like a good fit for Freel. They are preaching more team speed this offseason.

Texas? Word is that they want to move Hamilton to RF.

Or, maybe AM saw like the rest of us that our bench was dismal the last few years, and went out and changed that. I mean, most years Wiggington, Freel, and even Gomez would be starters on this team.

You figure, if you platoon Wiggy/Scott at DH, there going to combine for a .280/.350/.470 and combine for 30+ HR and drive in close to a 100 RBI.

You think about it, we just got Adam Dunn for around 2/8 mil deal (Wiggington/Scott combine salary), only the BA will be higher, and the K's won't be as bad ;).

This is a good move by the Orioles.

Zaun

Hill

Itzuris

Pie

Gomez

Freel

Wiggington

Hennessey

Uehara

Looper maybe?

Who would have thought AM would have added 10 players, and you have to think atleast 9 of those will be on the 25 man. That's quite a turnover.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BrettMeister86

"You figure, if you platoon Wiggy/Scott at DH, there going to combine for a .280/.350/.470 and combine for 30+ HR and drive in close to a 100 RBI."

Combined? I believe Scott will post a 30+ HR season by himself this season. Even in limited action I think Wigginton can hit high teens - low twenties. Between the two players I'd say 45-50 HR and 150RBI from a DH/1B/LF platoon

On the official Orioles site on the forum someone brought up a very smart idea...

Freel and Wigginton are essentially interchangeable, could Andy be setting up a trade to provide a contending team a stop gap + a good prospect.

For example, 2B Ryan Freel + full or partial salary (stop gap for Utley's injury) and SP David Hernandez to Philly for SS Jason Donald.

Makes a LOT of sense doesnt it?

I think you can cross Philly off. Last I heard, Utley is on schedule to be ready by OD, and just in case he isn't, they signed Marcus Giles to a MiL deal I believe.

I think Freel has more value as an OF, and he's a pretty good CF from what I've heard. So, what teams are looking for a CF that has speed?

White Sox seem like a good fit for Freel. They are preaching more team speed this offseason.

Texas? Word is that they want to move Hamilton to RF.

Or, maybe AM saw like the rest of us that our bench was dismal the last few years, and went out and changed that. I mean, most years Wiggington, Freel, and even Gomez would be starters on this team.

You figure, if you platoon Wiggy/Scott at DH, there going to combine for a .280/.350/.470 and combine for 30+ HR and drive in close to a 100 RBI.

You think about it, we just got Adam Dunn for around 2/8 mil deal (Wiggington/Scott combine salary), only the BA will be higher, and the K's won't be as bad ;).

This is a good move by the Orioles.

Zaun

Hill

Itzuris

Pie

Gomez

Freel

Wiggington

Hennessey

Uehara

Looper maybe?

Who would have thought AM would have added 10 players, and you have to think atleast 9 of those will be on the 25 man. That's quite a turnover.

Guest BrettMeister86

"Wigginton is really similar to Gomez, except with a bit more power. They can play relatively the same positions."

You're kidding right? Wigginton has 20+ HR power and a phenomenal OPS against lefty pitchers. He is exactly what the O's need to regain some more balance in the lineup and light years better than Gomez, who should NOT make the club now.

Gomez is the odd man out looking in after the Wigginton signing.

I can't see them going into the season without a guy who can give Izturis a day off. Whether that be Gomez, Cabrera, or Murphy.

I do think that it makes that spot more competitive as Gomez had the advantage in that he can play 1b. With Wigginton on board, that doesn't really matter.

Four man bench; seven man pen.

I can't see them going into the season without a guy who can give Izturis a day off. Whether that be Gomez, Cabrera, or Murphy.

I do think that it makes that spot more competitive as Gomez had the advantage in that he can play 1b. With Wigginton on board, that doesn't really matter.

Four man bench; seven man pen.

Well done.

Guest BrettMeister86

The Orioles will be giving Freel and Wigginton reps at SS during ST. Gomez is useless if either can be league average in spot starts.

The Orioles will be giving Freel and Wigginton reps at SS during ST. Gomez is useless if either can be league average in spot starts.
I think we have to go back to "if grandma had cojones, she'd be grandpa" line of thinking. How could anybody reasonably expect these guys to provide league average defense at SS? It would be great if they could; but they can't.

Archived