Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

See belowv

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083341-the-perfect-move-for-every-1st-place-team-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline

During Steven Matz's last 9 games (4 starts) he's pitched to a 2.56 ERA (2.84 FIP) and  has 35 K's in 31.2 IP.  I'm not necessarily beating the drum for Steven Matz unless the cost is cheap in prospects and the Cards cough up a lot of money, but maybe we should curb our enthusiasm for Cease and conserve our ammunition for the offseason when there will be a lot better value available.

I’m indifferent at this point

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Where did you see this?

Also, why would we do this?

Seriously?  Maybe substitute Norby or someone else for Westburg, but that would be a trade that's very difficult not to make.  Kjerstad can rake but sounds like he has no position.  Cowser and Hall don't appear to be able to help the O's win now.

Scherzer, who has a player option worth $43.3 million for next season, said he expected to have discussions with Mets owner Steve Cohen and the team's front office before Tuesday's trade deadline.

"You have to talk to the brass - you have to understand what they see, what they're going to do," Scherzer said. "That's the best I can tell you. I told you I wasn't going to comment on this until Steve was going to sell. We traded Robertson, now we need to have a conversation."

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Seriously?  Maybe substitute Norby or someone else for Westburg, but that would be a trade that's very difficult not to make.  Kjerstad can rake but sounds like he has no position.  Cowser and Hall don't appear to be able to help the O's win now.

Yeah I'm dead serious. I cool with Hader and Snell. But why Soto? I imagine he is what will really drive up the costs. I don't want to get rid of Kjerstad and Westburg, and Cowser for a year and 2 months of Soto. In 2025, who is in our OF? This type of trade would almost signal that we would have to resign some people. Plus, is Soto going to DH full time here? Because I definitely don't want him playing LF here and Santander is in RF.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

MLB Network.  No...I wouldn't do this trade.  Just a suggested trade from Phillips.

Oh his just spit balling for views and clicks? Gotcha.

I mean don't get me wrong all of those Pad players would help us tremendously this season. But that seems like a tremendous departure from being risk adverse as we have been to caution to the wind/go for it now.

Does Phillips now who our GM and owner are?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Yeah I'm dead serious. I cool with Hader and Snell. But why Soto? I imagine he is what will really drive up the costs. I don't want to get rid of Kjerstad and Westburg, and Cowser for a year and 2 months of Soto. In 2025, who is in our OF? This type of trade would almost signal that we would have to resign some people. Plus, is Soto going to DH full time here? Because I definitely don't want him playing LF here and Santander is in RF.

We have several good OF prospects aiming for 2025, don't we?  Beavers, Fabian, Haskin... Mullins isn't a FA until 2026 I don't believe.  Santander could be gone, but he's not ideal in the outfield anyway.  I'm thinking the Padres would maybe want a bit more than that package for Snell, Hader and Soto, but for me other than Westburg that's a difficult trade not to make.  Cowser looks really raw, Kjerstad is reportedly bad in the field, and DL Hall is still not back in MLB and who knows when he will be.  I think we have plenty of other minor leaguers to trade in case we need more outfielders.  The big problem is that Snell and Hader are rentals, but Soto is a beast at the plate.  You do make a good point about his defense, but maybe he could rotate in and out of DH.  I just can't imagine not wanting Juan Soto especially when he would have an extra year and we need an outfielder.  Maybe we could trade them someone else in place of Cowser and Westburg -- like Norby and Beavers?  I don't know but I'd love to have those three guys.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Oh his just spit balling for views and clicks? Gotcha.

I mean don't get me wrong all of those Pad players would help us tremendously this season. But that seems like a tremendous departure from being risk adverse as we have been to caution to the wind/go for it now.

Does Phillips now who our GM and owner are?

It’s a creative trade. Orioles would be giving up too much though.  It also isn’t crazy on SD end because they then could go after Ohtani in the off-season.   If they did get those three, the Orioles would be a lot better and Soto is a true middle of the order bat.  Plus Soto has proven he can do it in the postseason. 

Edited by baltfan

4 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Looking through his game logs, he isn't a measurable improvement over most of our current starters. Has gone 6.1 innings twice in 22 starts, many less than 6.  a few really good games, a few bad ones, mostly meh. 

I agree but we know he can be more than this and I believe in the Os enough to get it out of him.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

It’s a creative trade. Orioles would be giving up too much though.  It also isn’t crazy on SD end because they then could go after Ohtani in the off-season.   If they did get those three, the Orioles would be a lot better and Soto is a true middle of the order bat. 

I will say I definitely don't like trading Westburg, and I don't know why the Padres would even really want him with that stacked infield they already have of Machado, Bogaerts and Kim.  They need a first baseman and outfielders.  Substitute Norby or Beavers for Westburg -- then I think that's a difficult trade not to make.  I'm sure no one really wants to trade Cowser or Kjerstad but you got to trade value to get value.

9 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

We have several good OF prospects aiming for 2025, don't we?  Beavers, Fabian, Haskin... Mullins isn't a FA until 2026 I don't believe.  Santander could be gone, but he's not ideal in the outfield anyway.  I'm thinking the Padres would maybe want a bit more than that package for Snell, Hader and Soto, but for me other than Westburg that's a difficult trade not to make.  Cowser looks really raw, Kjerstad is reportedly bad in the field, and DL Hall is still not back in MLB and who knows when he will be.  I think we have plenty of other minor leaguers to trade in case we need more outfielders.  The big problem is that Snell and Hader are rentals, but Soto is a beast at the plate.  You do make a good point about his defense, but maybe he could rotate in and out of DH.  I just can't imagine not wanting Juan Soto especially when he would have an extra year and we need an outfielder.  Maybe we could trade them someone else in place of Cowser and Westburg -- like Norby and Beavers?  I don't know but I'd love to have those three guys.

Listen, I’m the guy who wants the O’s to make a meaningful move. But even I am hesitant about sending away that kind of package.

I don’t mind DL Hall (shoot I hope we trade him before it’s too late), I don’t mind trading one of Westburg/Ortiz and even one of Cowser if we had to. But not Kjerstad. He has been described by many as potentially being the best O’s hitter in the entire organization. I don’t want to give up 6 years of that in order to boost this 23’ singularly. After this year, we would have Sot as a pending FA and nothing else. Plus be down 2 guys who could potentially make up 2/3 of our OF longterm.

That type of move is an all-in/go for it now kind of move. With the miser that we have for an owner, I have no confidence that he would sign or even attempt to sign any of those players back. Thus in effect this would damage our longer term ability to compete. 

15 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s a creative trade. Orioles would be giving up too much though.  It also isn’t crazy on SD end because they then could go after Ohtani in the off-season.   If they did get those three, the Orioles would be a lot better and Soto is a true middle of the order bat.  Plus Soto has proven he can do it in the postseason. 

It would be great for this year. But then what? Next year we would be without, Hader, Snell, Cowser, Kjerstad, and Westburg. The year following Soto too. All of them gone by 25. What will we do then?