Monday, July 31: Orioles finish July in Canada

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

This is what seems to be lost in the grumbling. If he gets hot late in the year… that is a huge balance in the scale. We re winning now. Let’s get him adjusted and hot for the stretch run.

With his current struggles at the plate, his primary value is his ability to cover CF. Once Mullins comes back that value is diminished. At that point I see no difference in giving Kjerstad a chance and letting Cowser take a breather from ML pitching. 

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

You're more of an expert than I. But even taking everything you said as true, the difference between out and safe is milliseconds and is almost entirely dependent on speed. Even if most of the ATP is regenerated within 30 seconds, if he could get another portion back by just waiting one more pitch, I would think that's more than worth it. It's not like other sports where the competition is just as tired as you are; you're just running against the clock/yourself.

I don't disagree with you at all.  However, a 1/4 second difference in reaction/jump time is a bigger factor.  Mateo clearly had a terrible jump.

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

With his current struggles at the plate, his primary value is his ability to cover CF. Once Mullins comes back that value is diminished. At that point I see no difference in giving Kjerstad a chance and letting Cowser take a breather from ML pitching. 

Trust me. I want to see Kjerstad too. The guy is a man on a mission. I just don’t want us to give up on CC yet.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Gunnar didn’t look as totally lost as Cowser does.  I think he’ll be fine, but how long can you do this in a pennant race?  

You can do it for as long as you are winning 2 out of every 3 games.  I agree there is a point but I think it is north of 100 at bats.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  However, a 1/4 second difference in reaction/jump time is a bigger factor.  Mateo clearly had a terrible jump.

Fair enough. I don't know how much a quick-twitch reaction like the jump is affected by ATP. It's just a pet peeve on mine in baseball whenever I see guys run twice in a row. Seems like a really unnecessary risk/reward.

• Upvote 1