Who would you be willing to deal to get a controllable ToR like Gilbert, Cease or Keller?

Greg Pappas

First of all, with names like Adley, Gunnar, Colton, Jordan, Ryan, and Grayson in the clubhouse, Logan, Dylan and Mitch would fit right in. 😁

It's likely that Gilbert (26.2 yo FA 2028) would cost more to acquire, being a bit younger and having two more years of control than Cease (27.7 yo FA 2026) and Keller (27.3 FA 2026).  

The question is, push come to shove, who would you try to trade for, if any of them, and what would you be willing to deal to make it happen?  Just remember, if the package you put out there doesn't really hurt, it isn't realistic. 

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

• Greg Pappas changed the title to Who would you be willing to deal to get a controllable ToR like Gilbert (FA 2028), Cease (FA 2026) or Keller (FA 2026)?
6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

First of all, with names like Adley, Gunnar, Colton, Jordan, Ryan, and Grayson in the clubhouse, Logan, Dylan and Mitch would fit right in. 😁

It's likely that Gilbert (26.2 yo) would cost more to acquire, being a bit younger and having two more years of control than Cease (27.7 yo) and Keller (27.3).  

The question is, push come to shove, who would you try to trade for, if any of them, and what would you be willing to deal to make it happen?  Just remember, if the package you put out there doesn't really hurt, it isn't realistic. 

McKenna, Frazier, Mateo, and Cowser.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's likely that Gilbert (26.2 yo) would cost more to acquire, being a bit younger and having two more years of control than Cease (27.7 yo) and Keller (27.3).  

Gilbert is the one that I would want.  Cowser, Norby, and a couple toward the end of the top 30.

Gilbert is a great target if he is available. With so many years of control left, I wouldn’t mind as much giving up players that I’ve generally felt are untouchable. 

Cowser, Westburg, and Kremer? I don’t know if that’s enough, but I wouldn’t feel terrible about it even judging from the Mariners perspective. 

I’d only deal Cowser/Kjerstad/Mayo as the headliner for Gilbert. I could perhaps be talked into one of them for Cease, but only if much lesser prospects are the additional pieces. No way any of them for Keller.

One of Ortiz/Westburg can be on the table.

Every other prospect below that group is fair game. Norby is the only big name prospect I’d actively prefer to move.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

Gilbert is a great target if he is available. With so many years of control left, I wouldn’t mind as much giving up players that I’ve generally felt are untouchable. 

Cowser, Westburg, and Kremer? I don’t know if that’s enough, but I wouldn’t feel terrible about it even judging from the Mariners perspective. 

I would think this would be reasonable.   I wouldn't want to deal Kremer, though.  I think Seattle wants position players...so what about Cowser, Westburg and Fabian/Beavers?

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Gilbert is the one that I would want.  Cowser, Norby, and a couple toward the end of the top 30.

13 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Gilbert would be a great target, but I think he's going to be VERY expensive.   

Yeah, among the names mentioned in rumors to be available, Gilbert is the #1 target for me.  The cost will be very high. I'm thinking similarly to @baltfan in one of Cowser/Kjerstad, Norby, one of Hall/Povich and someone like Trace Bright.  That still may not be enough.

Edited by Greg Pappas

• Greg Pappas changed the title to Who would you be willing to deal to get a controllable ToR like Gilbert, Cease or Keller?
29 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah, among the names mentioned in rumors to be available, Gilbert is the #1 target for me.  The cost will be very high. I'm thinking similarly to @baltfan in one of Cowser/Kjerstad, Norby, one of Hall/Povich and someone like Trace Bright.  That still may not be enough.

One of Hall/Povich is too much.  Already we are talking about a Bedard level return with my proposal. 

34 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would think this would be reasonable.   I wouldn't want to deal Kremer, though.  I think Seattle wants position players...so what about Cowser, Westburg and Fabian/Beavers?

I’d prefer to keep Kremer over Fabian/Beavers so that weakens the offer a bit I think. If they’re set on position players then they may not mind though. 

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

What would be a deal that you could see potentially getting it done but would think Elias fleeced whatever team?

I would say Cease for Norby, Beavers, Stowers, plus somebody outside of the top 30.  

That would be fleecing, at least on the surface.  Sometimes a trade looks one-sided but turns out differently later on (see Cano). :)