Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

Tonight's game was a fitting microcosm of the last six weeks.  We didn't get a front-line veteran starter or reliever at the deadline, and it hurt us.  But we won anyway.

My main concern is that once we get to the playoffs and are playing only elite teams, we're going to wish we had done more at the deadline.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tonight's game was a fitting microcosm of the last six weeks.  We didn't get a front-line veteran starter or reliever at the deadline, and it hurt us.  But we won anyway.

My main concern is that once we get to the playoffs and are playing only elite teams, we're going to wish we had done more at the deadline.  

The Astros and Rays are going to be extremely tough outs in the playoffs. Orioles have fared well against the Rays (6-3) and have one win against the Astros (1-2). Things are much different now without Felix Bautista.

The Astros lineup really scares me and they will eat this bullpen alive if they're off their game like tonight.

He is terrible.  Seems to have ok stuff but guys hit him hard.

And I don't like his mojo.  When the guys and coaches came out in the 4th he looked down and then walked away when everybody else was talking.

Just seems like a negative influence.  If he was good?  Ok.  But he sucks.   So he can't get away with that attitude.

6 hours ago, Spakman said:

Where are all flaherty apologists? The guy is not good and his attitude is like cancer on this team. He doesn’t fit on this team.

Not an apologist here.  His performance hasn't been good but I don't know how anyone can make any informed statements about his attitude and it being a cancer on the team.  There haven't been any reports about that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

And I don't like his mojo.  When the guys and coaches came out in the 4th he looked down and then walked away when everybody else was talking.

Just seems like a negative influence.  If he was good?  Ok.  But he sucks.   So he can't get away with that attitude.

How much baseball have you watched?  Don't most starters walk off the mound while the manager and the rest of the players are huddled up on the mound and waiting for the reliever to come in?  

This is silly.

4 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

If they stay with a 5 man rotation Means should replace Flaherty, and if they go back to a 6 man rotation I’d swap Irvin and Flaherty’s roles. 

I hope this is exactly what they try next.  I'm not expecting much from Means, but he's worth a try at this time.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not an apologist here.  His performance hasn't been good but I don't know how anyone can make any informed statements about his attitude and it being a cancer on the team.  There haven't been any reports about that.

I've heard GROD say he brought a lot to the team and he said he gets really intense before his starts and it has helped the rest of the staff turn it up a notch... Sounds to me he fits in fine and I'm sure his perceived attitude/body language is directed to himself for not doing his job  

• Upvote 1

Flaherty has sucked. He probably is a trade deadline bust.  But there was only one pitcher last night, Fuji, who was effective.  Everyone was lit up including guys that are normally extremely reliable.  Heck, Flaherty was more effective than all the pitchers but Fuji and Perez. 

• Upvote 1

Bradish is in line to start the final game of the Cardinals series followed by Flaherty in Game 1 against TB.  I'd like to see Flaherty moved to the pen, let Irvin or Means start against STL, and push Bradish back to the Rays series. That gives you Bradish, Rodriguez and Kremer leading off that series.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Astros and Rays are going to be extremely tough outs in the playoffs. Orioles have fared well against the Rays (6-3) and have one win against the Astros (1-2). Things are much different now without Felix Bautista.

The Astros lineup really scares me and they will eat this bullpen alive if they're off their game like tonight.

We will get a taste of how we fair in the playoffs next week when we play Tampa and then go to Houston

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Bradish is in line to start the final game of the Cardinals series followed by Flaherty in Game 1 against TB.  I'd like to see Flaherty moved to the pen, let Irvin or Means start against STL, and push Bradish back to the Rays series. That gives you Bradish, Rodriguez and Kremer leading off that series.

I feel like there's a good chance that that will happen. I truly don't think that Hyde would have much trust in Flaherty to face the Rays in such a crucial series.

14 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I feel like there's a good chance that that will happen. I truly don't think that Hyde would have much trust in Flaherty to face the Rays in such a crucial series.

If this doesn't happen, then in my opinion, you will really have something to second guess Hyde (and Elias) about.