Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

On 8/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, Frobby said:

I don’t agree with the premise that our college bats have been slow played, with the notable exception of Adley.  The fact that there was no MiL season in 2020, and that Kjerstad had a health crisis, delayed the development of some of our college bats.  But the last two years, the good college bats have moved pretty quickly.  

Maybe I shouldn't have said slow played. My point is that you would think that some of the value of taking a college player is that they should be able to contribute to the team more quickly than prep players/pitchers.

Did Jordan Westburg need 1400 minor league PAs as a guy who was drafted out of a big-time college program at 21? He was pretty polished coming out and hasn't changed all that much.

Of the 2019/2020 draftees who have done enough to show they're ready for the majors, Rutschman/Stowers/Ortiz/Heston/Westburg, I think you could make a case that they should have moved Adley, Joey, and Jordan faster.

It hasn't much mattered because the team wasn't a contender until this year. But going forward, it would be nice if we could expect to see someone like Bradfield up to Baltimore sooner than late 2025/2026 if he's doing the same thing that he did in college.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Maybe I shouldn't have said slow played. My point is that you would think that some of the value of taking a college player is that they should be able to contribute to the team more quickly than prep players/pitchers.

Did Jordan Westburg need 1400 minor league PAs as a guy who was drafted out of a big-time college program at 21? He was pretty polished coming out and hasn't changed all that much.

Of the 2019/2020 draftees who have done enough to show they're ready for the majors, Rutschman/Stowers/Ortiz/Heston/Westburg, I think you could make a case that they should have moved Adley, Joey, and Jordan faster.

It hasn't much mattered because the team wasn't a contender until this year. But going forward, it would be nice if we could expect to see someone like Bradfield up to Baltimore sooner than late 2025/2026 if he's doing the same thing that he did in college.

I think the rebuild may have played a part in this. Let’s see how they operate going forward. I don’t think we will see anyone get the Nolan Schanuel treatment though. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Seems like a good break and a less than ideal route. 

The ball was hit very hard and while tough to tell exactly from the video, it may have been cutting/slicing very rapidly. 

So, less than ideal route…or really good adjustment? I’d call it the latter. 

I hope that was Bradfield’s last game at Delmarva.  Let’s see what he can do at Aberdeen. 

I saw today that Dylan Crews, who’s also was playing low A, has been jumped all the way to AA by the Nats.  I’m not suggesting that for Bradfield, but I do think A+ would be a better test for him. 

It’s not a huge deal, since Bradfiekd almost certainly will start next year at Aberdeen regardless of where he finishes this year.  But I’d still prefer to see the promotion now.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hope that was Bradfield’s last game at Delmarva.  Let’s see what he can do at Aberdeen. 

I saw today that Dylan Crews, who’s also was playing low A, has been jumped all the way to AA by the Nats.  I’m not suggesting that for Bradfield, but I do think A+ would be a better test for him. 

It’s not a huge deal, since Bradfiekd almost certainly will start next year at Aberdeen regardless of where he finishes this year.  But I’d still prefer to see the promotion now.  

I agree.  Always better to have a chance to "fail forward".  He'll be in position to make adjustments in the offseason.

12 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

I want to see some extra base hits. Love Bradfield, but unless he can start hitting some in the gap and putting it over the wall every now and then he's going to be Billy Hamilton 2.0 at best. 

You do realize that Hamilton has a lifetime .292 OBP, right? 

While I don't expect him to get walked as much in the majors, Bradfield currently has a .581 OBP at Delmarva.  His career OBP in college was .426.    Let's say he has a .350 OBP and steals 40-50 bases playing stellar defense...would you be OK with that?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

While I don't expect him to get walked as much in the majors, Bradfield currently has a .581 OBP at Delmarva.  His career OBP in college was .426.    Let's say he has a .350 OBP and steals 40-50 bases playing stellar defense...would you be OK with that?

.350OBP in the MLB would be nice. That's a lot to ask out of Bradfield though. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The hit tool is not comparable between these two guys. Crews is significantly more talented in that regard. That might explain the rapid and aggressive jump. 

11 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Just to be clear, at age 21 Hamilton had a .410 OBP between A+ and AA.  So, OBP success even at those levels doesn’t necessarily translate into a good OBP in the majors.  

Based on his SEC performance, I expect Bradfield to have more power than Hamilton.   Hopefully he’ll have enough where pitchers have to respect it and not just throw the ball down the middle and date him to hit it.  But we’ll see.

• Upvote 1