Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if we're comparing him to Jim Hunter, it's no question.  I think Brown is pretty average, I fail to see what makes him a darling to some around here.  

Maybe because every post-Gary Thorne PBP guy they've tried is a significant downgrade from KB. Every time I've watched a Nats broadcast (any iteration in the past decade), I'm immediately grateful that we landed KB so soon after Gary.

Good PBP guys, especially young guys with some runway and room to grow in their careers, are not easy to come by. It can (and given this intel, probably will) get much worse. Maybe we've been spoiled.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe Brach likes country music? :D

But it’s been during Brach’s time with the Orioles when everything’s come into focus for his family. Jenae, a country music songwriter and recording artist, released her first album in 2016 (she released it under her maiden name, Jenae Cherry) less than three months before Brach became one of the unlikeliest All-Stars, selected to pitch in that season’s midsummer classic in his uniform.

13 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

You seem to be a pretty pragmatic kinda guy and probably define "quality" differently than some. Thorne had a comforting quality to his voice that is unmatched. Listening to a game with him and Palmer was baseball ASMR. 

Constantly getting names wrong and not knowing what was going on at times knocked him down some.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe Brach likes country music? :D

He's still married to Jenae Cherry

Does Angelos not like country music? Is that a thing?

I don't think anyone responded to my post the other night when I pointed out how JA's wife interrupted their broadcast to get a selfie with Brach. A few minutes later she was in-picture pointing toward them and fanning herself almost like "Brach is hot" 

• Like 1

Still not buying it.

Brown has a snarky sense of humor and I do not doubt that at some point he may have made a comment that Angelos didn't like and possibly overreacted to.  But there's no way it's for the comment stated in the OP, which was a total nothing-burger of a statement.  My guess is he got a little too smart-alecky off the air at some point for Angelos' liking, but that's just a guess.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that statement. Did he get suspended for it being false? As far as I can tell the Orioles are 6-3 vs the Rays this year and were 9-10 vs them last year.

Heard a little of the Mets broadcast this weekend and it Angelos was the owner would have got rid of all of them. Praising the Orioles and critical of the Mets at times.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Constantly getting names wrong and not knowing what was going on at times knocked him down some.

Obviously fans have different tastes when it comes to announcers. While Gary would occasionally annoy me at times by calling the wrong pitch, him and Palmer were usually a fun listen overall. Gary had golden pipes and knew the proper level of excitement to show over the play at hand in the specific game situation. This is what drove me nuts about Jim Hunter. Hunter was actually an effective PBP announcer when describing the action, particular on the radio, but the Orioles could be down 8-0 and someone would pop a homer and you'd think the Orioles just walked off a win.

While Brown is not perfect, as he's gotten more comfortable I've found him at times too homerish (which is funny that he was supposedly suspended over being too negative), he's a very good announcer overall on both radio and TV. Just don't make him go out into the splash zone and be a "man of the people." Talk about cringe worthy especially after he said someone may have stolen his wallet. 

Honestly, now that I think of it, I wonder if that was what got him suspended?

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Obviously fans have different tastes when it comes to announcers. While Gary would occasionally annoy me at times by calling the wrong pitch, him and Palmer were usually a fun listen overall. Gary had golden pipes and knew the proper level of excitement to show over the play at hand in the specific game situation. This is what drove me nuts about Jim Hunter. Hunter was actually an effective PBP announcer when describing the action, particular on the radio, but the Orioles could be down 8-0 and someone would pop a homer and you'd think the Orioles just walked off a win.

While Brown is not perfect, and as he's gotten more comfortable I've found him at times too homerish (which is funny that he was supposedly suspended over being too negative), he's a very good announcer overall on both radio and TV. Just don't make him go out into the splash zone and be a "man of the people." Talk about cringe worthy especially after he said someone may have stolen his wallet. 

Honestly, now that I think of it, I wonder if that was what got him suspended?

I missed that, but that might make some sense.