John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

I’m not sure what else he could do to help them with their decision making but alright. He doesn’t have to be activated for another couple days. I just would have rather he get his first action against the Angels vs. one of the teams competing for a playoff spot.

Maybe they want him to get closer to 100 pitches. 

None of this has anything to do with it. They just aren’t in a hurry to do it because they don’t feel they need to.

Means is probably better than Flaherty.    Means up, Flaherty to the pen.   Krehbiel or Fuji optioned is what I want to see.  I know there was a post about Means getting another start a AAA but I think Means is better than Flaherty right now.

Flaherty's ERA with the O's 6.66.   And throws a wild pitch to score  a runner when he needs to make a pitch.  Not a good veteran result.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Means is probably better than Flaherty.    Means up, Flaherty to the pen.   Krehbiel or Fuji optioned is what I want to see.  I know there was a post about Means getting another start a AAA but I think Means is better than Flaherty right now.

Flaherty's ERA with the O's 6.66.   And throws a wild pitch to score  a runner when he needs to make a pitch.  Not a good veteran result.

The 5th inning was filled with terrible luck and terrible umpire calls. Flaherty wasn't that bad today, definitely not as bad as his line looked.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

The 5th inning was filled with terrible luck and terrible umpire calls. Flaherty wasn't that bad today, definitely not as bad as his line looked.

A veteran starter should not throw a wild pitch to allow his 4th run in 4.2 IP and consider it a good outing.   The missed tag and the ump call was what it was but Flaherty had an opportunity to shut the DBacks down and he could not do it.   That is not the kind of pitching the O's need to win the division.

And its not a one time thing in the time he has been with the O's.  Nice that he can strike out batters.  Maybe he can do that for a inning or two from the pen.

Edited by wildcard

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A veteran starter should not throw a wild pitch to allow his 4th run in 4.2 IP and consider it a good outing.   The missed tag and the ump call was what it was but Flaherty had an opportunity to shut the DBacks down and he could not do it.   That is not the kind of pitching the O's need to win the division.

And its not a one time thing in the time he has been with the O's.  Nice that he can strike out batters.  Maybe he can do that for a inning or two from the pen.

I'd attempt to reason with you, but I have an idea how that would end. Are you suggesting veteran pitchers don't occasionally throw wild pitches? I also didn't say it was a good outing, I said it wasn't nearly as bad as looking at the box score and going wow he was awful. He wasn't awful, he had 6 hard-hit balls all night and some really bad luck/bad umpiring in the 5th.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd attempt to reason with you, but I have an idea how that would end. Are you suggesting veteran pitchers don't occasionally throw wild pitches? I also didn't say it was a good outing, I said it wasn't nearly as bad as looking at the box score and going wow he was awful. He wasn't awful, he had 6 hard-hit balls all night and some really bad luck/bad umpiring in the 5th.

He has a 6.41 ERA as an Oriole.  I am not impressed.

• Upvote 1

7 Ks and 1 BB for Flaherty today.  That’s excellent.

59% str% is not good. The WP was certainly not good but it’s one pitch. Not sure what to think of him right now.

His upside is great but he’s control and command is spotty and that’s tough right now. I still would pull Irvin out of the rotation before him, at least for the time being but I can also see a scenario where Flaherty in short stints out of the pen could be dominant.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

7 Ks and 1 BB for Flaherty today.  That’s excellent.

59% str% is not good. The WP was certainly not good but it’s one pitch. Not sure what to think of him right now.

His upside is great but he’s control and command is spotty and that’s tough right now. I still would pull Irvin out of the rotation before him, at least for the time being but I can also see a scenario where Flaherty in short stints out of the pen could be dominant.

The O's have lefties Coulombe, Perez and Hall in the pen.  Irvin would make 4 lefty relievers out on 8 relievers in the pen.  I don't know if O's management wants to do that.   2 lefties starters in Means and Irvin out of 6 starters seems to make more sense.  

Irvin goes 5 and gives up 2 runs.  When Hyde pushed him to go 6 innings he gives up two more.  Meanwhile Flaherty gives up 4 in 4.2 IP.   Both pitchers are trying to stay in the rotation.   Irvin out pitched Flaherty against the DBacks.

Irvin's ERA in the 2nd half 4.22, Flaherty's 6.41 as an Oriole.

Edited by wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

They should just release Flaherty….he’s dead weight unfortunately 

• Haha 2

They might be delaying his call up just because they don't know if Jorge Lopez is going to respond and rekindle his 2002 Orioles success, and they want to get that information before having to remove a pitcher from the roster in order to call up Means or Wells.

I think the pitchers most likely on the bubble are Fujinami, Flaherty, and Lopez.  Gibson hasn't pitched well lately, but he has come through for the team over the long haul when the team needed someone to go deep into games and save the bullpen. He may not set the league on fire with great numbers, but he eats innings more often than not and gives the team a chance. He's also a good clubhouse Vet the other players & coaches like, so he'll probably get more rope to try and solve his recent issues than the other 3 names I mentioned on the bubble.

Another factor in what might happen is if the team decides to dump some salary in waivers. So if that's the case, there's always the possibility that the players with the largest single season AAV contracts could be on the chopping block. Which would definitely add Gibson to that list.  Voth wasn't getting paid all that much but he was still getting paid in the millions which is more than the others, and they just exposed him to waivers. (Even though they say they'd still like to keep him in the minors.)

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

They might be delaying his call up just because they don't know if Jorge Lopez is going to respond and rekindle his 2002 Orioles success, and they want to get that information before having to remove a pitcher from the roster in order to call up Means or Wells.

I think the pitchers most likely on the bubble are Fujinami, Flaherty, and Lopez.  Gibson hasn't pitched well lately, but he has come through for the team over the long haul when the team needed someone to go deep into games and save the bullpen. He may not set the league on fire with great numbers, but he eats innings more often than not and gives the team a chance. He's also a good clubhouse Vet the other players & coaches like, so he'll probably get more rope to try and solve his recent issues than the other 3 names I mentioned on the bubble.

Another factor in what might happen is if the team decides to dump some salary in waivers. So if that's the case, there's always the possibility that the players with the largest single season AAV contracts could be on the chopping block. Which would definitely add Gibson to that list.  Voth wasn't getting paid all that much but he was still getting paid in the millions which is more than the others, and they just exposed him to waivers. (Even though they say they'd still like to keep him in the minors.)

I forgot Krehbiel, if he wasn't removed yesterday. Krehbiel will be the first one to go.

Krehbiel and Fuji both have options so the O's don't have to DFA anyone to add Means and Baumann.  Baumann will use his option if he stays in the minors for  20 days.   He was sent down of they August 23th so he has to return by the 11th.  I think Baumann is a lot more useful to the O's in 2024 if he maintains his option.

I am in favor of sending Flaherty to the pen where they can shorten his outing and still use his strikeout.  I don't think Gibson will be moved from the regular season rotation unless he is down right terrible.  They can pull him early from starts if they need to.  

Wells still has a tired arm so I don't know if he returns this season.

Saw on Reddit some speculation on a potential unannounced call-up of Means. They referenced this post on Twitter from the Tides which displays Krehbiel’s Jersey but Means’s is not pictured:

It looks like there’s a Jersey on the far left that could be Means’s but I don’t have the energy to further sleuth. It would make my day to hear them to recall Means to start against the Angels. And yes, I realize that Hyde said that Means would get another start in Norfolk but things obviously change.

We shall see. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Saw on Reddit some speculation on a potential unannounced call-up of Means. They referenced this post on Twitter from the Tides which displays Krehbiel’s Jersey but Means’s is not pictured:

It looks like there’s a Jersey on the far left that could be Means’s but I don’t have the energy to further sleuth. It would make my day to hear them to recall Means to start against the Angels. And yes, I realize that Hyde said that Means would get another start in Norfolk but things obviously change.

We shall see. 

You can see them M but that could be McDermott as well.