Friday Roster moves: Mullins & Vespi for Krehbiel & McKenna

SteveA

21 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Prior to Ced’s injury the O’s carried Hicks, Ced, McKenna, Ant and Hays. They can carry five OFs (though I would swap someone for a pitcher). 

Right now as of today ..there are 4 OFs 13 pitchers 2 catchers and 7 infielders 

Adding Hicks and keeping Cowser as 5th would mean sending out someone from another group ..an infielder ? Mateo is only one possible

A pitcher? I don’t think Webb has options left, and unlikely any others would be sent down for a 5th outfielder option 

Nope, either Hicks stays and Cowser goes down (my preference and prediction as Hicks cannot be optioned) or Cowser stays and Hicks is DFAd 

50 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Right now as of today ..there are 4 OFs 13 pitchers 2 catchers and 7 infielders 

Adding Hicks and keeping Cowser as 5th would mean sending out someone from another group ..an infielder ? Mateo is only one possible

A pitcher? I don’t think Webb has options left, and unlikely any others would be sent down for a 5th outfielder option 

Nope, either Hicks stays and Cowser goes down (my preference and prediction as Hicks cannot be optioned) or Cowser stays and Hicks is DFAd 

I would guess that they’ll send down a pitcher.

As much as I want him to get ABs to get settled at the ML level, I’m not advocating that they keep CC and send down a pitcher. I just think that’s what they’ll do. They’ll play the shuttle game with relievers, between Krebel, Vespi, etc. I think the need for pitching right now outweighs their wanting to get CC acclimated, provided that Hicks is healthy. 

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

I would guess that they’ll send down a pitcher.

As much as I want him to get ABs to get settled at the ML level, I’m not advocating that they keep CC and send down a pitcher. I just think that’s what they’ll do. They’ll play the shuttle game with relievers, between Krebel, Vespi, etc. I think the need for pitching right now outweighs their wanting to get CC acclimated, provided that Hicks is healthy. 

I'm confused, seems to me you're making a contradicting statement....We need all the pitching we can get with all our pitchers approaching new highs in innings pitched so I don't see us going to a 12 man staff... Colton Cowser gets sent down on Monday when Hicks comes off the IL, doing so well keep his Rookie status intact for next year and allows him a reset 

5 hours ago, PsychoBird68 said:

I'm confused, seems to me you're making a contradicting statement....We need all the pitching we can get with all our pitchers approaching new highs in innings pitched so I don't see us going to a 12 man staff... Colton Cowser gets sent down on Monday when Hicks comes off the IL, doing so well keep his Rookie status intact for next year and allows him a reset 

No - I’m stating what I think they’ll do AND what I think they need. Two different things. 

They're going to a 6 man rotation so even without changing the number of pi5chers on the active roster, that sets the bullpen down short one pitcher. 

There's no way they remove another pitcher for a position player. If anything, they'd rather have another bullpen arm than a position player if they could find a way around it without a DFA. 

44 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

Yeah now I see it, I confused myself...lol....  " not advocating "  Sorry 

No sweat, good buddy. I do think they need to stack pitchers right now. CC’s average is turrible right now, no doubt, but he’s still getting on base. Just like Gunnar at the beginning of the year, I think he may be too selective right now. I’d like to see him attack the first pitch more, which he did last night in one of his ABs and flies out to deep RC. I’d like for him to get the ABs but I don’t know if the O’s can afford to give them to him in the middle of this division race.