Competitive Window- 24' roster

justcompete

Clearly we have blast off and have opened the competitive window

Thinking about the roster make up one year from now as we build upon the success of this season.

Infield-best depth

Mountcastle/ options in house are ok-Santander/O'hearn/etc-can Mayo or Kjerstad force their way?

Westburg for me at 2nd Base

Henderson at 3rd

Holliday at SS-next August

Ortiz is the back up MIF

I like the idea of a vet infielder and would be ok with Frasier coming back.  Norby for me is depth or a trade chip

Catching

AD

McCann -comes back-buys time to see how Basallo progresses - decision needed by 2025

Outfield-

I think this is a spot to add a free agent/trade

Hays/Mullins/Santander all return

Can a prospect take a spot?  Lots of options but so far no one has knocked the door down-maybe it happens over the next year.

Mayo/Kjerstad/Cowser/Stowers/Tavera/Fabian/Haskin- lots of options.  Would love to see a trade or a signing

Pitching

A few aces (maybe) and a lot of mid rotation guys in free agency.

Hall/Povich/Mcdermott -not sure they step up in the next 12 months for the 24' playoff push

2023 season certainly opened our competitive window and the guys are getting battle tested.  However it ends we had great opportunity to evaluate our system.  Now we need to step on the gas pedal to push us to the next level- 

• Upvote 1

I said this offseason that we needed two things to go from good to great: one reliable bat and one top pitcher. We didn't get either of those and that's probably what keeps us from winning a championship this season. We need to get it next offseason if we want to win championships. If we just want to be "in it" next year, then our roster is fine for that. 

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I said this offseason that we needed two things to go from good to great: one reliable bat and one top pitcher. We didn't get either of those and that's probably what keeps us from winning a championship this season. We need to get it next offseason if we want to win championships. If we just want to be "in it" next year, then our roster is fine for that. 

I can't argue with your opinion here. I agree about the pitching. I can't shake my bias though and I prefer they continue with the position prospects that we have until we see they are not going to work out. I would prefer that they see what they have in Kjerstad, Cowser, Ortiz, Mayo and obviously Holiday. I think they have enough pitching to fill out a good bullpen. The only thing is someone to slot at the top of the rotation. They have a lot of starters but too many question marks. Means. Rodriguez, Bradish, Kremer, Wells, Johnson, Povich, etc. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

10 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I can't argue with your opinion here. I agree about the pitching. I can't shake my bias though and I prefer they continue with the position prospects that we have until we see they are not going to work out. I would prefer that they see what they have in Kjerstad, Cowser, Ortiz, Mayo and obviously Holiday. I think they have enough pitching to fill out a good bullpen. The only thing is someone to slot at the top of the rotation. They have a lot of starters but too many question marks. Means. Rodriguez, Bradish, Kremer, Wells, Johnson, Povich, etc. 

So you don't think GRod and Bradish are a good #1 and #2?

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

With the exception of Ohtani, the 2024 FA class is a bit thin. There are some interesting players available, however. Snell seems like a guy the O's might go after. How would Bellinger fit at 1B? Does Josh Hater want a reunion? 

We've talked about this ad nauseum at the trade deadline but do they spend money or prospects or both?

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

At this point in GRod's career he's a better #2 if you can sign someone like Snell. If he matures into a #1 over the short term all the better. He's gone more than 6 innings exactly once in his career. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Yes, but if everyone of them require an adjustment time like Gunnar and Adley, it will take a while and neither of those are true mashers either yet. What if all of those guys take a while or just don't live up to the hype? We have a window RIGHT NOW! The window is wide open. We are the second best team in baseball. Spend some money, get two true stars and worry about the rest later. 

I'd take a look at the pitching market, both free agency and trade. Starters and veteran 7th/8th inning guys. Starter could be another Gibson type. If we mostly stand pat and wait for the trade deadline I would be OK with that.

Biggest offseason priority is extensions for some combination of Gunnar, Holliday, and Adley. Locking up one of those guys would be a successful offseason for me.  

12 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes, but if everyone of them require an adjustment time like Gunnar and Adley, it will take a while and neither of those are true mashers either yet. What if all of those guys take a while or just don't live up to the hype? We have a window RIGHT NOW! The window is wide open. We are the second best team in baseball. Spend some money, get two true stars and worry about the rest later. 

Third best record as of today.

I don't believe that Elias has the budget for any FA additions until proven otherwise.

I'm fine with some trades from prospect collateral and some of the vets on the team in order to strengthen some of the weaknesses.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I would say that I think GrayRod has the potential to be a true ace but certainly isn't there yet. I think Bradish can be a solid 2. I think he's there now. We will have to see if he can continue to perform at what is likely his ceiling. 

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Your suggestions are completely valid. I just don't think that's the way I would go and I don't think that is the way the O's go. FA are not sure things either, in fact, there is a decent chance that they never reach a level of value that it would take to sign them. I think that the O's can afford to continue to introduce a few prospects at a time and weather the adjustment periods with the talent already on the team. I do expect them to trade Hays and/or Santander this offseason. 

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Third best record as of today.

I don't believe that Elias has the budget for any FA additions until proven otherwise.

I'm fine with some trades from prospect collateral and some of the vets on the team in order to strengthen some of the weaknesses.

I agree and I certainly don't think he has the budget for the level of FA that it would take to make a difference. So, just let the kids play and see if they develop. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

With the exception of Ohtani, the 2024 FA class is a bit thin. There are some interesting players available, however. Snell seems like a guy the O's might go after. How would Bellinger fit at 1B? Does Josh Hater want a reunion? 

We've talked about this ad nauseum at the trade deadline but do they spend money or prospects or both?

Not a chance we overpay for someone like Snell nor do I want to. Hader will also be too rich for us. I think Flaherty for two or three years and then a big trade including at least one of our top 50 prospects is the far more likely outcome. Also wouldn’t mind another bat for O’Hearn regression insurance. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joelala said:

Not a chance we overpay for someone like Snell nor do I want to. Hader will also be too rich for us. I think Flaherty for two or three years and then a big trade including at least one of our top 50 prospects is the far more likely outcome. Also wouldn’t mind another bat for O’Hearn regression insurance. 

Definitely not counting on O'Hearn. I can see them trying to bring in a 1B if anything. I'd still like to see an in house option. Something like Santander more often on go all in on moving Mayo to 1B. 

Edited by MCO'sFan