Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

Just now, Snutchy said:

Didn’t Britton also have some degree of damage to his UCL and avoid surgery? If memory serves, he got platelet-rich injections, took some time off, and then went on to become one of the most dominant relievers in recent memory.  

Tanaka for the Yankees did also, I believe.

3 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Seeing a lot of gloom and doom here... did everyone miss this comment in Roch's post on MASN or has there been an update?

A teammate said later that Bautista felt much better after the game. The pain in the elbow/biceps area was momentary, just on the one pitch, but alarming.

A shutdown period was expected at the least.

Unfortunately, you can feel much better with a UCL injury and then go to throw and see it is no bueno.  I will still keep hoping though.

4 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Seeing a lot of gloom and doom here... did everyone miss this comment in Roch's post on MASN or has there been an update?

A teammate said later that Bautista felt much better after the game. The pain in the elbow/biceps area was momentary, just on the one pitch, but alarming.

A shutdown period was expected at the least.

Interesting.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do think there is some value in blowing a save while still keeping the score close enough that the offense can retake the lead.

Not a huge amount of value but there is a difference in letting them tie the game and letting them pull ahead by multiple runs.

Agreed, and great point.  I was more responding to those folks who act like Bautista saved every game he pitched in, is irreplaceable and the world as we know it is about to end.  The one's the belong on Overreactors Hangout.

I just wanted to put down some markers for where our bullpen stood prior to Bautista’s injury (including last night for this purpose).

The pen had a 3.55 ERA and had thrown 3.56 innings per game. The team had 67 save opportunities and saved 41, a 61% rate.  Bautista had 33 saves in 39 chances.  The pen had an outstanding 35-16 record.  

We’ll see how it goes from here.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just wanted to put down some markers for where our bullpen stood prior to Bautista’s injury (including last night for this purpose).

The pen had a 3.55 ERA and had thrown 3.56 innings per game. The team had 67 save opportunities and saved 41, a 61% rate.  Bautista had 33 saves in 39 chances.  The pen had an outstanding 35-16 record.  

We’ll see how it goes from here.  

It would be nice to know how those stats compare with the top 5 teams in pitching..

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

Does that mean closers don't matter because they're inherently fungible, or is it that closers don't matter if the rest of your team is so good that it lessens the importance of the closer? If it's the latter, I don't think the rest of the 2023 Orioles are at that level as evidenced by almost every team statistic being mediocre.

It means they’re kind of fungible. 

I said it before, Felix’s K rate is irreplaceable. No one strikes out batters like that. But to act like we can’t find someone else who can close games at the same clip is a bit over the top. 

Just now, Fan4Life said:

Hopefully that leans more towards a strain than a tear. 

They are all tears.  A strain is just a partial tear.  Sometimes a partial tear will still need surgery, but I get where you are going with this.  I am not aware though of anyone even with a Grade 1 tear being to come back in under 30 days, much less at guy that throws 102 mph.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Mariano Rivera? Hell... May not have been a World Series winner, but Holland, Davis and Herrera sure dominated the O's in 2014. They gave up like 1 earned run in 14.2 innings. 

Top flight relievers shorten games in the postseason. And our bullpen just suffered the worst setback it could have suffered. 

Rivera was the most important player on those Yankees teams? I don’t think so.