Ryan O'Hearn Per Mewleski

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I went back and reread my take on O'Hearn and while I saw the good EV's, I certainly did not expect a 29-year old to suddenly change this much. 

When you look at the offseason, which I thought was very disappointing after the "Left off" comment made by Elias, O'Hearn is certainly his best pick up.

I was certainly wrong about him.

Pretty much everyone was.  

Jim Gentile getting remembered in the Orioles team wins thread reminded me of spike seasons, and the apt Lowenstein comparison is one data point how long a profile like this might stay good.     Some OPS+ tracks:

'60-'65 Gentile: 145, 187, 125, 122, 128, 125

'79-'84 Lowenstein: 126, 126, 105, 176, 136, 94        During the 70's before Baltimore he maxed out at ~110 in nine part-time seasons.

'18-'23 O'Hearn: 154, 69, 65, 71, 73, 137

Obviously fantastic news for us if O'Hearn has growth mindsetted his way to anything like Jose Bautista, Justin Turner or JD Martinez.

There's 1B oxygen as long as Mayo/Basallo are deferred or are on other positions.    I guess across '23-'24 O'Hearn may be a bit like '21-'22 Mullins.    The league probably looks at the one year breakout like "do it again", and a followup 70% as good would still be useful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pretty much everyone was.  

Yeah, I keep waiting for the big slump that brings him back closer to his career averages but it never came.  I also keep thinking his extremely low walk rate and aggressive approach will lead to problems, but that hasn't happened yet either.  The big question is did he figure something out, or will the league catch up to him next year and he turns back into a pumpkin?

He typifies what the Orioles team is this year.  They are not superstars but the entire team is made up of  very good and knowledgeable baseball players.  They are unselfish to the point of ridiculous     The sum of their parts is so much better than  all the  individual parts.    They are TEAM.                    

7 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

He typifies what the Orioles team is this year.  They are not superstars but the entire team is made up of  very good and knowledgeable baseball players.  They are unselfish to the point of ridiculous     The sum of their parts is so much better than  all the  individual parts.    They are TEAM.                    

Well, Gunnar is probably a superstar.  Adley hasn’t had a superstar season but he’s still pretty close to that category.  But I do agree we don’t have a guy who’s presently an offensive superstar.