Celebrate the playoff clinch?

Winning_Season

What they have accomplished is worth celebrating. No?  Most thought the Orioles would regress and maybe get in the hunt for a WC. That is now accomplished. Right?

Winning the Division would be another important distinction and accomplishment. 

As would any playoff series. 

They earned it. Hope they enjoyed it. Hope they liked it. Hope we get used to it. 

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It's Okay. I heard that OH has group ignore functions able to set right before batting practice now to erase any vestige of snarkiness from the minds of an entitled, indignant troll.

You're right, it was snarky and snark is rarely constructive, so my apologies.

That said, I still question the post of yours that I initially responded to.  At what point did it become apparent that what was really missing from the evening was an Adult In The Room?.  I seems to me that all of the adults who mattered - the ones with actual skin in the game like the players, coaches, Hyde, Elias, the team principle (!!!) - were already in the room grinning like fools, bouncing around covered in champagne and sucking down beer bongs.   They were having fun and so were a lot of us who were watching.

When it comes to judgement about the near maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt on a night like tonight.

7 hours ago, Remember The Alomar said:

We have been in hell for the past five years. They are in their 20s. The celebration was awesome. Life is too short not to have fun. 

This. The thing that sets this team apart, and one of the biggest motivating factors for them is that they play hard, and have fun doing it. For them, the destination is important, but they are going to enjoy the ride as well.  Elias, Hyde, and several of the players have all been through pennant races and playoffs before. Kyle Gibson said there were several discussions on how they wanted to celebrate, and gave a good reason on why they decided to go for it. I, for one loved it, and can't wait for the next one!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Why in Gods name are you watching a 6 month season if you get upset when your team celebrates?  And then go out of your way to post about being malcontent on a message board.  What the hell is the matter with people?

I feel for these people. Happiness makes them angry.

Every player on this team has worked in a unique way to get the team here and we just lost well over 100 games every year. Celebration is deserved and they’ll be right back to trying to win the division.  A little extra reason to cheer after splitting with Tampa. 

It’s a big deal and ought to be celebrated. There’s 13 games left, we’re in the playoffs and the division and AL #1 is more than obtainable. 

have a little fun on the way up , never know when it will end. 

10 hours ago, yark14 said:

Love the celebration, they earned it.  A celebration like that also builds team chemistry and bonding (not that we are lacking in that department).  Love the beer bongs, hugs, smiles, and cigars.

For those worried about them being hungover and struggling tomorrow against the Astros, you gotta remember most of our players are in their early to mid 20's.  A pit stop at Taco Bell tomorrow on the way from the airport to the stadium and they'll be just fine.

IMG_0130.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Was curious what happened in the Rays locker room, since they also made the postseason the same time the Os did... FWIW:

"Manager Kevin Cash addressed his players to congratulate them for the impressive accomplishment, but that was about the extent of the celebration. Plastic sheeting for a bigger wet and wild party sat atop a row of lockers after being quickly rolled up following the Orioles' victory."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I enjoyed watching the celebration moments!!! 
I particularly thought Mike Elias getting sprayed was wonderful and I thought him mentioning and thanking Dan Duquette right at the outset was verrrry classy!! 

He even took a hit of (gasp) Bud through the “homer hose” (as did KB)

https://x.com/jbenowitz1831/status/1703516647032557575?s=46&t=cLKxkiS12LveeXz2jhTn-A

https://x.com/kevinnbrown/status/1703542960950800646?s=46&t=cLKxkiS12LveeXz2jhTn-A

Edited by bobmc
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Malike said:

This is who Brandon Hyde is.

image.png.7291aecb58414d95cf715080f3f31ef1.png

So the subject was enough of a question to be worthy of a meeting between Hyde & team leadership prior to the game yesterday, but questioning the celebration and extent of it on a message board results in criticism and claims that someone is "angry" that the team is happy and celebrating.

10 minutes ago, AdamK said:

Was curious what happened in the Rays locker room, since they also made the postseason the same time the Os did... FWIW:

"Manager Kevin Cash addressed his players to congratulate them for the impressive accomplishment, but that was about the extent of the celebration. Plastic sheeting for a bigger wet and wild party sat atop a row of lockers after being quickly rolled up following the Orioles' victory."

Read this too.  Sounds like they had the same idea the Orioles ended up with.  "If we clinch and we win, we'll celebrate."  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, AdamK said:

I would find it off-putting if we held a celebration after losing the game... but since we won it is super obvious to celebrate. Like I don't even understand why it's apparently scandalous.