Astros Series

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

When Bill Veeck owned the White Sox, it was widely believed that he moved the outfield fences back whenever a power hitting team was coming to town, then moved them back in against other teams.  

Actually looked this up just now--in 1947, Veeck was the owner of the Indians and he installed a moveable CF fence at Municipal Stadium that could move in our out by 15 feet.  After the season the AL adopted a rule stating that OF fences cannot be altered mid-season.   The Indians were so distraught that they won the pennant in 1948.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

Actually looked this up just now--in 1947, Veeck was the owner of the Indians and he installed a moveable CF fence at Municipal Stadium that could move in our out by 15 feet.  After the season the AL adopted a rule stating that OF fences cannot be altered mid-season.   The Indians were so distraught that they won the pennant in 1948.  

Veeck would say that changing it before the playoffs isn't prohibited by that rule!

11 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I would be thrilled getting just 1/3 in this series.  

I agree, a hangover (figuratively and literally) might hinder them today.  Flying out to Houston after that game, etc.  There's a reason gamblers like to pick the home team when another team flies in after a big party like we had yesterday.  

I still think 2/3 is certainly possible.  

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I was just cracking wise.  We're uniquely not in a position to criticize other teams for adjusting their stadiums in pursuit of a competitive edge.

Mid-season? The Houston players are complaining mid-season they aren't playing well at home. I mean, if the Orioles pitchers in 2019 said we're giving up too many HRs, and during a 10-day road trip they moved the fence back, that would be an issue.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Mid-season? The Houston players are complaining mid-season they aren't playing well at home. I mean, if the Orioles pitchers in 2019 said we're giving up too many HRs, and during a 10-day road trip they moved the fence back, that would be an issue.

I really could care less.