John Means - Playoff Starter

wildcard

Giving respect to the Astros lineup, don't forget what they did to all the Orioles pitchers in the first series.

The SP3 and SP4 starts, I expect Rays emulation.     Everybody saw Aaron Civale on a good night hooked atfer 19 Batters Faced.

Dave Roberts is on now telling the story its all going to be okay that the Dodgers don't have any starting pitchers because October is all mixing and matching anyway. 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its Gibson vs Means for the fourth starter spot.   Gibson pitches tonight vs  the playoff bound Astros.  Lets see how he does.

Until Flaherty is removed from the rotation or consideration, he’s still in this  as well. (Not saying he should or shouldn’t be but none of the options are that good after the top 2, so it’s a ride the hot hand type thing and with a few more starts for each guy, we will see if anyone gets hot)

I thought Means located his FB well last night.  The umpire didn't do him any favors.  

Gibson is still in the running for a playoff start as well, as he's pitched well the last two times out.  But the deciding factor may turn out to be that Means is a lefty and Gibson is a righty.  Our right handed relief corps consists of Yennier Cano and a bunch of pyromaniacs.   Our lefty relievers are solid.  We don't need Means in the bullpen but we desperately need 1-2 more decent righties.  I think Gibson, Kremer and Flaherty should all be considered for the bullpen come playoff time (and Flaherty should be in the bullpen right now).  

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its Gibson vs Means for the fourth starter spot.   Gibson pitches tonight vs  the playoff bound Astros.  Lets see how he does.

With all due respect, your tendency to simplify issues such as this one to either/or, dichotomous decisions flys in the face of reality. I would submit to you that there are likely multiple scenarios in which John Means may be utilized in the play offs. The same can be said for Kyle Gibson. 

We may be going to a 6 man rotation to allow the main guys to have some extra rest before the playoffs. However I think we go with a 3 man rotation for the playoffs with Means and Gibson as a possible 4th starter if needed. 

If Grod, Bradish and Kremer are our 3 starters in the playoffs, then I don’t think Gibson will be on the playoff roster as I think we go similar to what we have been doing over the last couple weeks. We need a starter to go 5 innings but they could get pulled earlier if they get into trouble and we bring in a reliever for an inning max. All 3 guys are righties and we need an extra lefty in the bullpen. 

However Gibson is a vet so I could see Hyde choosing him over let’s say Kremer as the top 3 guys. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Os4days said:

We may be going to a 6 man rotation to allow the main guys to have some extra rest before the playoffs. However I think we go with a 3 man rotation for the playoffs with Means and Gibson as a possible 4th starter if needed. 

If Grod, Bradish and Kremer are our 3 starters in the playoffs, then I don’t think Gibson will be on the playoff roster as I think we go similar to what we have been doing over the last couple weeks. We need a starter to go 5 innings but they could get pulled earlier if they get into trouble and we bring in a reliever for an inning max. All 3 guys are righties and we need an extra lefty in the bullpen. 

However Gibson is a vet so I could see Hyde choosing him over let’s say Kremer as the top 3 guys. Just my opinion. 

There is a 0% chance of a healthy Gibson being left off the playoff roster.

Yeah, I’m in the camp that Means was not great yesterday. I like Means, and hope he pitches his way into the playoff rotation, but two starts in and he’s been average at best. And they still need to extend his outings.

Means will be on the playoff roster, but I think as of this moment Gibson has the fourth spot over Means.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

We should get 2 more starts of data before making our final answer. I do think he has a chance of being our 3-4 depending on the matchup. Elias and the analytics department will make the right choice.

They probably will, but that won't prevent the peanut gallery from second guessing, especially if we lose! 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They probably will, but that won't prevent the peanut gallery from second guessing, especially if we lose! 

Two batters into last night’s game: “Means is a horrible matchup against this right handed lineup and the ballpark’s left field. We are going to lose”

5 innings in: “How could they take Means out after 86 pitches????”

Edited by dzorange

Him being left-handed has to be a consideration alone depending on who they draw. Personally I don’t think it makes sense to throw him out of the pen unless they plan to piggyback him with one of the other starters. I believe this is the case for Irvin as well.

I had high hopes for JF when they acquired him but he has not pitched very well as a whole since his first outing. I would put both Means and Irvin ahead of him for roster consideration for the playoffs, especially as starters. I think both of them offer more than what JF can off at this time.

Again, it’s all about who they draw but effective lefty starters can be huge in a short series. I wouldn’t be shocked at all to see them use guys as openers to throw a few innings then essentially stick with someone if their results are good. I think Means fits that.

I am not as confident in the other starters beyond GrayRod and Bradish right now but again, it’s all about who they draw. If they draw Toronto, you better believe that both Gibson and Kremer are getting two of those starts given how well they have thrown against the Jays this year. I don’t know if Means makes sense for them if they draw the Jays. 

Edited by banks703

If Means shows some improvements in missing bats in his remaining starts, then he should get the playoff start over Gibson or Flaherty. But he now has only 12 whiffs across 2 starts leading to those 2 K’s, right now you can’t be confident rolling him out there as a starter in a playoff game. But I am optimistic he’ll make some improvements in his last couple turns, hopefully with his breaking balls. His fastball and change look quite good IMO.

I expect all of Means, Gibson and Flaherty to be on the postseason roster and it will be a very short leash for whoever is taking the ball game 4 regardless.