La Canfora on radio today

accinfo

4 minutes ago, survivedc said:

He’s insufferable and he’s made Ken unlikeable too. I also feel bad for the producer who was a likable and articulate guy on Vinny and Haynie but has sunk to JLC’s level in a lot of ways.

JLC is like a guy in the game thread that is upset about something but then never calms down. He doesn’t really know anything but poses as someone who does. In short, he is the worst person I’ve ever heard on the radio and it’s insane he still has a job.

Tim Barbalace is really, really good and has some great takes. They've been giving him more and more to do and that's a good thing, as he's a calming presence when JLC and Ken get screaming embarrassingly at each other. Not sure who thinks that's good radio but I immediately turn it off when they scream at each other.

BRING BACK Terry Ford!!!!! He would actually pair well with Ken or Tim.

• Upvote 3

On 10/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, accinfo said:

In my mature years I try not to get too upset about takes on talk shows or posts on a message board but La Canfora just was a pure horses rear end today on the radio.  Saying Hyde should be fired for putting Bryan Baker in.  It was much more than just that statement but his whole ranting with his know it all attitude about everything.  His opinion is fact and if someone disagrees you are a moron.  I am going back to listening to music in the afternoon.  

He wrote an article for the CBS Sports site comparing the Colts leaving Baltimore with the Chargers leaving San Diego. In the article he said the Colts left Baltimore during a blizzard in December, 1983.  The Colts actually cowardly snuck out of town on March 29, 1984 under the cover of darkness. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. 

I guess his opinions about baseball are no better than his facts about football!

Just now, panick said:

He wrote an article for the CBS Sports site comparing the Colts leaving Baltimore with the Chargers leaving San Diego. In the article he said the Colts left Baltimore during a blizzard in December, 1983.  The Colts actually cowardly snuck out of town on March 29, 1984 under the cover of darkness. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. 

I guess his opinions about baseball are no better than his facts about football!

It did snow that night.  I bought a car and while driving home we had some wet snow.  It certainly wasn’t a blizzard.  

On 10/10/2023 at 6:25 PM, Bmorebirds24 said:

Just last week someone on there said about the warehouse listening and he said someone better be over there. I forget the context of the conversation but he definitely talks like he’s some kind big dog. He said him and his kid manage better than Hyde from the couch. No way in hell he’d say that to Hyders’ face. 

Why not? Are we talking about the same Brandon Hyde who looked kinda scared when confronted by Chris Davis in the dugout. Maybe he was just the cooler head, but it looked like he wanted no part of Davis. 

Of course, I’ve never been on team Hyde from the beginning. I don’t think Hyde’s bad, but there’s room for improvement. And some sports shock jock doesn’t move the needle for me one way or the other. Stopped listening to jerks like Rome years ago. 

More power to you, though, if that’s your thing. Think of what an incredibly niche market a screaming know-it-all has to navigate. It’s not all roses. He sells loudness to angry people and that’s his market. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Tim Barbalace is really, really good and has some great takes. They've been giving him more and more to do and that's a good thing, as he's a calming presence when JLC and Ken get screaming embarrassingly at each other. Not sure who thinks that's good radio but I immediately turn it off when they scream at each other.

Unfortunately Terry Ford took a job at another sports talk radio station in South Carolina. Maybe if Terry was given a full time show during the day instead of filling in at night he would still be at 105.7.

I agree Terry would pair well with Tim and especially Weinman. Weinman and LaCanfora are both ranters and it makes for bad radio. Terry with his offbeat sense of humor would keep Weinman in check when he goes off on another rant.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, Barbalace! I like the guy, hope he gets out from under that slobbering man’s shadow.

I don’t agree with much of what JLC said but I will agree with him the Hyde was thoroughly outmanaged by Bruce Bochey and that he made almost no adjustments from game to game while our starters imploded.

No one can rationally argue that Hyde is on the level of the top in-game managers in the MLB, he isn’t event in the top half.

I like him as a person, from what I have  seen, and he was a very good manager for the rebuild. I really think it’s obvious that we will need to move on after next season if he continues to struggle in-game when facing top managers.

Ask yourself this, if we had Joe Maddon or Terry Francona managing the Orioles against Texas, do you think they’d have handled the pitching staff and lineups differently ?  It’s obvious to see that guys like that are just better equipped to make the necessary moves to put us in the best possible position to win in the postseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, JLC is completely unhinged and his personal attacks agains Hyde are ridiculous

The real fault is Elias weakening the roster at the trade deadline

and having Flaherty and Baker on a playoff roster. Would have been better off with McKenna to play CF against the LH starters.

The O's ran out of gas and it was a learning experience for the young starters, nothing to go all crazy about

What would JLC say about the Dodgers being eliminated, or if the Braves don't manage to sweep the next two games

I was proud the the O's won the AL East because the long grind is what baseball means to me

The 5 game series when a team can get hot and beat the superior team is unfortunate and should not take away from the accomplishment of the players and Hyde in 2023.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unfortunately Terry Ford took a job at another sports talk radio station in South Carolina. Maybe if Terry was given a full time show during the day instead of filling in at night he would still be at 105.7.

I agree Terry would pair well with Tim and especially Weinman. Weinman and LaCanfora are both ranters and it makes for bad radio. Terry with his offbeat sense of humor would keep Weinman in check when he goes off on another rant.

Yes, I'm very familiar with Terry. We're friends. But  agree 100%, Terry is missed in this area.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, accinfo said:

In my mature years I try not to get too upset about takes on talk shows or posts on a message board but La Canfora just was a pure horses rear end today on the radio.  Saying Hyde should be fired for putting Bryan Baker in.  It was much more than just that statement but his whole ranting with his know it all attitude about everything.  His opinion is fact and if someone disagrees you are a moron.  I am going back to listening to music in the afternoon.  

That's just the way things are now. A lot of sports guys rant and rave and compete to see who can be the biggest smartass. Social media exponentially makes this worse.

If they rant and rave with loud personalities, they're hoping to start arguments....they want people to talk, share, tweet, post on message boards (like we are now) because we're talking about them and spreading their name. The more they can draw attention to themselves and spread their name, the more marketable they are to land bigger, better, higher paying gigs. Like SA Smith....or Howard Stern. Any attention is good attention.

With that being said, I can't disagree with his point. 😂  I don't know why he was on the roster, let alone brought into a remotely crucial situation.

35 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

That's just the way things are now. A lot of sports guys rant and rave and compete to see who can be the biggest smartass. Social media exponentially makes this worse.

If they rant and rave with loud personalities, they're hoping to start arguments....they want people to talk, share, tweet, post on message boards (like we are now) because we're talking about them and spreading their name. The more they can draw attention to themselves and spread their name, the more marketable they are to land bigger, better, higher paying gigs. Like SA Smith....or Howard Stern. Any attention is good attention.

With that being said, I can't disagree with his point. 😂  I don't know why he was on the roster, let alone brought into a remotely crucial situation.

I don’t object to the point that you can question whether Baker should have been used.  It is the way it was said and calling everyone a moron for not agreeing with him.  It is not entertaining to me.  I Like Ken and Tim but he does sometimes bring them down to his level.  He just seems like a nasty SOB to me.  He masks opinion’s as facts.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I don’t object to the point that you can question whether Baker should have been used.  It is the way it was said and calling everyone a moron for not agreeing with him.  It is not entertaining to me.  I Like Ken and Tim but he does sometimes bring them down to his level.  He just seems like a nasty SOB to me.  He masks opinion’s as facts.  

I'm hoping these outbursts will result in LaCanfora never appearing on MASN again.

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

I get it and completely agree. I listened to (mostly sports) talk radio daily for probably 20 years. The Junkies (on 99.1 and 105.7), Don and Mike, Stern, Jim Rome, Tony Bruno, all the 105.7 guys.

There's more ego on most shows than there is anything else. At some point, I just got tired of the smartass attitudes and huge egos, and went back to listening to music. A lot of the 105.7 guys got old to me also, as did constantly taking the same calls from the same complainers (is Bob from Parkville still kicking?!)....the only thing a lot of those talk show guys are good at is kissing ass and name dropping (Steve Davis was the worst).

Now, I read stuff online and check stats daily. The talk shows stir opinion more than they offer decent analysis anyway.

Edited by CP0861

Just now, Frobby said:

Didn’t you do a couple of video farm system reviews with Terry a few years back?  Those were very nicely done.

Yep, we did a top prospect review over the winter together. I used to love doing spots with Terry when he had the evenings gig. I remember one time forgetting I was on at 8:30 with him one night, was three beers into my night at a local bar, and had to run outside and do the spot! :D I just kept telling myself, don't cuss! :D 

Another time I had to pull over on my motorcycle because I saw the call come in and did a spot in a parking lot on my bike! Good times!