Who should come to the majors and when? Who should be traded?

Sports Guy

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't employ that strategy this year.

What a stupid thing to misunderstand.

You gave two conditions.

1. Did they contend.
  2. Did they use that strategy

Why you would think I was talking about contending I have no idea.

I'd be embarrassed if I made a mistake like that.

Oh, so they didn't keep guys like Westburg, Kjerstad, and Hall in the minors for the majority of the season even though they "could help" and did in the playoffs?

I'd be embarrassed if I said as many stupid things as you do.

You'll say anything so you can hop on your Cesar Chavez soapbox and try to make yourself feel good about yourself.

Sad and pathetic.

Edited by Pickles

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Oh, so they didn't keep guys like Westburg, Kjerstad, and Hall in the minors for the majority of the season even though they "could help" and did in the playoffs?

I'd be embarrassed if I said as many stupid things as you do.

You'll say anything so you can hop on your Cesar Chavez soapbox and try to make yourself feel good about yourself.

Sad and pathetic.

Not "Gunnar style".  They weren't held down to maintain rookie eligibility for next season.

I know this stuff is hard.

I do think it's funny you had to log off for a half an hour to come up with a response.  Were you mistaking Hugo Chavez for Cesar Chavez and having it mess up your google results?

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not "Gunnar style".  They weren't held down to maintain rookie eligibility for next season.

I know this stuff is hard.

You asked if the team would be trying to compete in a year in which they kept minor leaguers who "could help" down for significant portion of the schedule?

This year was proof positive that's exactly what they plan on doing and that, yes, it can be done.

This stuff isn't hard.

They need to add at least one starting pitcher, and ideally two. Everything hinges on whether they have the budget to find those in free agency or trade and who is even available in trade. If they can pick up free agent starting pitchers, they have the prospect capital to take a swing at a big name position player trade. If they need to go to the trade market for starting pitching, they’ll stay in house with the position players. 

Whether there is “space” for all the prospects hinges on whether Mayo plays 3B or 1B. If he can stick at 3B, they really cannot find playing time for both Westburg and Ortiz. However if Mayo is at 1B, Westburg/Ortiz could co-exist with Gunnar and Holliday with Westburg playing some LF/1B. 

Kjerstad and Cowser should be in the majors to start the season. If neither is moved, then one of Santander/O’Hearn/Hays/Mountcastle should be. They should have 5 of those 6 players on the OD roster to cover the corner OF/1B/DH, with Mayo tabbed for a midseason call-up. 

42 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't believe Holiday is ready now and I don't think he will be in ST either defensively or offensively. He had about 100 ABs and didn't perform better than any of the prospects ahead of him in 2023. Age adjusted he is beast but not yet ready IMO. I don't believe Mayo is ready defensively at 1B either and I don't want him as a dedicated DH. They could be up mid-year or trade deadline depending on their development and/or Westburg/Ortiz performance. If not hold for 2025 ROY.

I think that he breaks camp with the big club as the starting 2B in 24. I see him, at only 20 years old next year, putting together a Steven Kwan type of rookie season at the plate but with more pop, which will be plenty good enough to put him in the conversation for ROY. Make no mistake, the O's model does in fact value the extra draft pick so if they don't think that he is ready to contribute from Day 1 Next Year, we won't see him in Baltimore (barring something catastrophic to other guys) until September when rosters expand to save his ROY campaign for 25. 

Having to consider defense, I'm not convinced that he's the better overall prospect between he and Caminero, who I think will be the odds-on favorite for ROY in 24 but Jackson Holliday is going to grow more in the next five, six months and could come to camp 15 lbs more muscular and those doubles could become homeruns as soon as this upcoming season. He is the best pure hitter in the O's system and the best pure hitting prospect in all of baseball and as good as I've ever seen in-person, which includes Soto, Manny, Harper, etc. etc. He's not going to have the pop of those guys but he's going to walk/get on base like Soto/Kwan, be an absolute doubles machine in OPACY and hit 15 - 20 homers and might even have enough to post a 20-20 season in his rookie year. He's that good at the plate and for a team that struggled offensively for the last few weeks of the season, then went onto be embarrassed in the post-season, the 24 O's need Holliday's bat.

It will be a surprise to me if he isn't leading off against the Angels on March 28, 2024. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Trade:

Mullins

Mountcastle

O’Hearn

Urias

Mateo

You could trade any of those guys and I don't think they would be greatly missed.  Hicks, Frazier as well.

I would probably keep Mullins for one more year, and Mateo for the bench.  But everyone else imo can go bye bye. 

14 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You could trade any of those guys and I don't think they would be greatly missed.  Hicks, Frazier as well.

I would probably keep Mullins for one more year, and Mateo for the bench.  But everyone else imo can go bye bye. 

Hicks and Frazier are free agents

39 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You asked if the team would be trying to compete in a year in which they kept minor leaguers who "could help" down for significant portion of the schedule?

This year was proof positive that's exactly what they plan on doing and that, yes, it can be done.

This stuff isn't hard.

Evidently it isn't as easy as you think because i was clearly talking about a "Gunnar" situation in which a player is brought up late enough to insure they would have rookie eligibility for next season despite what the team might have needed.

That didn't happen this year.  Do I think they should have called up players quicker?  Sure, but there isn't anyone analogous to Gunnar.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Evidently it isn't as easy as you think because i was clearly talking about a "Gunnar" situation in which a player is brought up late enough to insure they would have rookie eligibility for next season despite what the team might have needed.

That didn't happen this year.  Do I think they should have called up players quicker?  Sure, but there isn't anyone analogous to Gunnar.

I could definitely see them doing that with either Mayo or Holiday.  You could argue they did it with Kjerstad.

I think a lot of people should prepare themselves for what they're going to do with Holiday.  He's not going to be up on OD.  And he's not going to be up early enough to have even the most remotest of chances to be ROY next year.  

I've been predicting  June or July.  Could they hold him back until late August?

I definitely wouldn't say it's an impossibility.

And that will not affect the team's ability to compete next year- any more than it did this year.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I could definitely see them doing that with either Mayo or Holiday.  You could argue they did it with Kjerstad.

I think a lot of people should prepare themselves for what they're going to do with Holiday.  He's not going to be up on OD.  And he's not going to be up early enough to have even the most remotest of chances to be ROY next year.  

I've been predicting  June or July.  Could they hold him back until late August?

I definitely wouldn't say it's an impossibility.

And that will not affect the team's ability to compete next year- any more than it did this year.

Even I wouldn't argue that with Kjerstad.

He ended up with 30 at bats.

Not like when Henderson, Mountcastle and Hays ended up just short of losing rookie eligibility.