Fernando Cabrera

Delbird

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who can sign him now? I think I'm with you on the above explanation, but what happens now? Is he immediately a FA?

I hate to sound like an expert on this because I am not, but I believe he is now a minor league free agent able to sign with anyone, just as House and Knott and countless others are each year. The real difference is that it is not in the off-season. I would imagine if someone has 40-man room and is willing to offer him that, it would be a leg up in making your team attractive. But other than that...

A player can be released at any time. IF he is under contract the the releasing team must pay his salary, but they can release him.

He only has to pass through waivers if the team wants to control his movement. Either to the minors or to another team through trade.

It looks like the O's may have waived Gomez for Fernando's release. Now the Fernando can sign with the highest bidder. Which could be the O's.

A player can be released at any time. IF he is under contract the the releasing team must pay his salary, but they can release him.

He only has to pass through waivers if the team wants to control his movement. Either to the minors or to another team through trade.

It looks like the O's may have waived Gomez for Fernando's release. Now the Fernando can sign with the highest bidder. Which could be the O's.

You just had to go and make us all optimistic that we'll sign him, didn't you? Now, watch as we all sit and hit refresh waiting for the "Os sign Cabrera" thread to pop up!:D

When you DFA guy, by my understanding, you have 10 days to either trade him, release him, or pass him through waivers in order to keep him in the system and send him down. Since we are after July 31, a trade would also require waivers. So the net effect is that they either had to pass him through waivers (which they were unable to do) or release him. They were unable to work out a deal with the team that claimed him, so their choice was to hand him to that team or give him his freedom to go where he wants. They chose B.

But trade waivers are different from release waivers....and I thought that all players that were released were sent through unconditional release waivers.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the big deal with this guy? Great K/IP...lousy BB/IP...lousy ERA...sounds like John Parrish, who we just dumped and who nobody is sorry to see go.

Lots of Ks. Good showing in 2005. He's cheap. He's 25. Can't hurt to take a chance on him.

Lots of Ks. Good showing in 2005. He's cheap. He's 25. Can't hurt to take a chance on him.

This would be a huge signing IMO. He is just the kind of player we should be trying to get in our bullpen. Cheap with great stuff.

When you DFA guy, by my understanding, you have 10 days to either trade him, release him, or pass him through waivers in order to keep him in the system and send him down. Since we are after July 31, a trade would also require waivers. So the net effect is that they either had to pass him through waivers (which they were unable to do) or release him. They were unable to work out a deal with the team that claimed him, so their choice was to hand him to that team or give him his freedom to go where he wants. They chose B.

There are two types of waivers, however. The trade waivers and then normal waivers for anyone out of options. If a team wanted Cabrera enough to claim him on trade waivers, then I'd think that team would get him, either by Cleveland straight dumping him on that team (like the O's did with Chris Gomez and take the $20K) or by working out a trade.

Pulling Cabrera off of trade waivers (like the O's did with Tejada) would not reset the DFA clock, and they'd still have to send him through normal waivers (where he'd no doubt be claimed by the same team).

Unless of course they can't pull him off trade waivers due to the DFA. The clashing of these two concepts is what I'm not sure how things work.

But trade waivers are different from release waivers....and I thought that all players that were released were sent through unconditional release waivers.

Yeah, I thought release waivers was another of the six or so kinds of waivers in baseball.

Only if you are trying to keep him in your system and send him down. You don't need to send him through those waivers just to cut him loose. When he was claimed on the revocable (trade) waivers and they were not able to make a deal, they chose to release him rather than place him on the irrevocable waivers and give him to the team that had previously claimed him.

Think of it this way: What is the point of putting him on irrevocable when they knew he would get claimed, and there was no chance he would end up in Akron?

At 23 years old, he was a stud. If you had asked me back then, I'd have guessed he'd be a quality closer in the majors about now.

Only if you are trying to keep him in your system and send him down. You don't need to send him through those waivers just to cut him loose. When he was claimed on the revocable (trade) waivers and they were not able to make a deal, they chose to release him rather than place him on the irrevocable waivers and give him to the team that had previously claimed him.

Think of it this way: What is the point of putting him on irrevocable when they knew he would get claimed, and there was no chance he would end up in Akron?

They'd save like 50k of his salary if someone claimed him.

I just thought that all players went through waivers when they were released, unless they had a no trade clause.

Maybe not.

I have a question.

How on God's green earth did he get through waivers? :confused:

He didn't... a deal could not be worked out with the team that claimed him. So the only options left to Cleveland was to send him to the team that claimed him, or release him.

Archived